NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ramar

I've had it with you Norton..

As the title says I've had enough of Norton. I've known for ages its crap, and being the tight git I am I've stuck with it, I haven't updated the subscription in ages. It was fine with that, and so was I. So comes today, try and use the computer and the usual "Your subscription is out of date" pop up appears. So I click ok and move on, nothing out of the unusual. Then it pops up again which was odd. And now you can gather where this is going its now plaguing me with this damned pop up.

I'm going to scrap it now for AVG free and Zonealarm. Bit of a pointless topic but I wanted to rant.

It appeared 10 times in writing this, and it sits on top of everything. God I hate it.

You have finaly seen the light!

Norton killed my computer once... yeah killed... and im never gonna use it again

I'd (unwillingly ;)) agree with Moria.

Norton is a complete ass to remove.

lol norton is a cock sucker. well i wish it was cause those are usefull.

i want to start an anti norton anti virus movement. create a virus that actually protects your pc against the worst virus of all Norton. it will seek and destroy all reminence of the said plague.

to bad i wouldnt know where to begin.

Then the appearance of ease I had in removing it is probably just a smoke screen and its sitting there laughing at me.

But the pop ups have stopped, it has no visible presence so its gone well.

Thing with zone alarm is it tells you alot more about whats happening. Like as soon as I came online it said something happened etc. Where Norton would hide that and let you believe everything was fine and dandy.

Edit - Just ran that Norton removal tool. And got;

"The SymantecTM AutoFix Tool did not find any common viruses on your computer and was unable to find any Symantec products installed."

So it must have been removed.

I had no problems removing it at all. (2003).

my sister has 2004 I believe, and has been able to partially uninstall the software.

sadly, the two bits she was able to remove were the bit that let her change settings, and the uninstall file.

she can't reinstall Norton until she has uninstalled the first install.

hahaha.

yeah, I'm not touching Norton EVER again.

Mine was 2003. Maybe they implemented the 'bastard' tool (as I will now name it) in later editions.

Ive always used AVG as im too tight to pay for one that's just as good/worse

By the way, if you have a router with a firewall don't bother installing Zone Alarm.

I have to disagree on that one. If some malicious code does get to the comp, how will he able to block it accessing the internet? Best way to keep you safe: a combination of software + hardware firewall. I'd prefer kerio to zonealarm though, zonealarm "calls home" and doesn't always work with the ds.

I have to disagree on that one. If some malicious code does get to the comp, how will he able to block it accessing the internet? Best way to keep you safe: a combination of software + hardware firewall. I'd prefer kerio to zonealarm though, zonealarm "calls home" and doesn't always work with the ds.

After that I tested zonealarm with my ds, and you're right it doesn't work with it. So now I'm either going to have to find a way around that, get a new firewall or run the risk of playing with no firewall.

I still like Avast better. Both AVG and avast scan well, but Avast's resident shield and internet shield are oh so much better than AVG/

As far as the norton removal tool, the web page one can screw up... The stand alone can be found here:::

ttp://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

add an "h"

Sign in to follow this