N-Europe

'Semi Acoustic guitars' (help!)

Domo Kun

Righto,

I've been playing bass for a while now, but I've started to get into playing guitar too. The time has arrived for me to buy my own guitar. I'm quite taken by the 'semi-acoustics' (these - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=102).

Keeping in mind that I want to play folk primarily, but also indie, would you recommend one of these? Are they versatile enough to be played like an acoustic guitar (Bob Dylan etc), but also be played in softer rock/indie? (Libertines etc)

Will I need to splash out on two guitars, one acoustic/electro acoustic for the folk, then another for the indie?

I hope someone can help! Thanks!

I don't think it'd be easy to get a guitar which can do both Dylan and Libertines styles. I think Barat plays some sort of Gibson/Epiphone thing, which would not be easy to emulate on a semi acoustic. Likewise, folk would sound strange on a guitar built for electric riffs and that.

If I were you, I'd go get two guitars.

I don't think it'd be easy to get a guitar which can do both Dylan and Libertines styles. I think Barat plays some sort of Gibson/Epiphone thing, which would not be easy to emulate on a semi acoustic. Likewise, folk would sound strange on a guitar built for electric riffs and that.

If I were you, I'd go get two guitars.

Yeah? Ah bugger.

I was taken by the name - 'semi acoustic' into thinking perhaps they're very versatile.

Two guitars for me then! I need a job...

Thanks everyone for the help!