NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii may use Direct X 10!

I was watching Gamespots On the spot. And they sort off confirmed it.

This is supposed to make a big difference in computing power.

DirectX 10 Makes graphics and calculations consume less power than it normally would. Normally the calculation would strain the CPU but with DirX 10 the Gfx card does it all. They seem excited about it beeing used on Wii (atleas thats how I interpreted it)

You can see On the spot here. And the DirctX part is 10min in.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/features/onthespot/index.php

Complete BULLSHIT.

DirectX 10 is made BY MICROSOFT FOR MICROSOFT platforms. Please.

It may use some features DirectX 10 also uses, but there's no chance of DirectX 10 on the Wii. The 'less power needed' statement is marketing bullocks by the way.

DirectX 10? Are you sure? Bloody hell, having that kind of functionality would be one in the face for the Wiis rivals. Hold on, lemme download it - my college connection has a capped download speed of 30kbs and won't let me stream anything. Oh how I hate thee Greendog!

EDIT: Actually screw it - this is going to take days. I'll glean opinions off everyone else.

Complete BULLSHIT.

DirectX 10 is made BY MICROSOFT FOR MICROSOFT platforms. Please.

It may use some features DirectX 10 also uses, but there's no chance of DirectX 10 on the Wii. The 'less power needed' statement is marketing bullocks by the way.

ehhh.. NO!

Direct X is made by ATI! And Nintendo and ATI IS OFFICIALY WORKING TOGHETHER. Haven't U seen the ATI logo on your cube?. If you doubt me just see the Gamespot spot.

Since when did the development of directx jump to ati from m$? I'm confused. I'd say something useful but gamespot is capping my dl at 12KB/s.

Smart arse was kean to get the first post before watching it.

Having no luck with GameSpot either.

They may not be using the same card, maybe using something else.

You know what, that video is the first time i've felt that next-gen graphical leap that has been missing. i was just beautiful.

Oh my god, whoever said that Direct X is only used on Microsoft platforms is a total fool.

Unless a developer makes its own graphics chip and doesn't use the licence for Direct X then it wouldn't use DX technologies. ATi design graphics chips to run on Direct X, the GameCube was basically DX8.1 with some DX9 extentions.

The XBOX360 was finished before DX10 was, so its DX9 with 10 extentions and this will probably be the same for PS3 and Wii. After next Jan/Feb PC's will already be faster than the new consoles :).

I'm pretty sure Direct X belongs to Microsoft.

That was the whole incentive for 'Xbox'.

It was a box that plays games based on Direct X. Sound familiar? Uncreative wanks.

ehhh.. NO!

Direct X is made by ATI! And Nintendo and ATI IS OFFICIALY WORKING TOGHETHER. Haven't U seen the ATI logo on your cube?. If you doubt me just see the Gamespot spot.

No it isn't. DirectX is the graphics functionality of Windows and can be used on every graphics card.

http://www.microsoft.com/directx

ATI makes DirectX compatible cards and they're showing off their DirectX 10 functionality. They still need the software to run it though, and Microsoft is the only supplier. In other words, no chance of DirectX 10 on Wii.

I've seen the video now and they've mentioned Wii once, only mentioning they're working with Nintendo. If ATI is basing the GPU design on the Flipper like expected, it's still about DirectX 8 level but they said 'it's not comparable to PC technology'.

Because it's a custom chip, I wonder if it even has anything to do with Direct X. With Nintendo, I'd assume that it most likely uses its own drivers.

Oh my god, whoever said that Direct X is only used on Microsoft platforms is a total fool.

Unless a developer makes its own graphics chip and doesn't use the licence for Direct X then it wouldn't use DX technologies. ATi design graphics chips to run on Direct X, the GameCube was basically DX8.1 with some DX9 extentions.

The gamecube, if I recall correctly, used opengl(or similar, I remember developers saying that it was easy to develop for the cube because of it's similarity to opengl). ATI and nVidia both are involved in the development of directx. But the main development is handled by microsoft. ATI and nVidia only participate to get their new cards to handle the new features.

Wii like the Gamecube won't use the Microsoft DirectX API - which is a graphic interface similar to OpenGL. ATI may implement features which are supported by DirectX 10 in the Wii GPU because as far as I remember it will be a completly new design and not a upgraded "Flipper".

They said they are working with Nintendo. Their lack of comment on the situation maybe be a hint (when the guys says "oui oui" anyone? Could be wii wii). But nothing is concrete.

You are very wrong. DirectX 10 is a full set of tools, application programming interfaces (APIs), drivers and so on to get the technology on the graphics card running. The chips only provide the technology, not DirectX. DirectX only appears on a platform if Microsoft wants to, and that means Windows and Xbox only.

Every new dX-feature like shaders or anything else can be used in opengl too!

Normaly openGL adopts all features of all graphics.accelarators on the market!

So all those DX is only for marketing and for controlling...otherwise both nvidia and ati would kill themself in the PC-market cause they would use their own special-technologies and nothing would be compatible in the future!

It´s no problem to use DX10-shaders in opengl imo!

Ohh just looked the spot: seems like Directx10 incorporates physik and vektor-calculation to some extend...

It does sound like he's hinting that Wii is going to use it though.

gamespot: Do you work with this on consoles?

Ati: Wii, Wii (Oui, Oui) :bowdown:

that´s fantastic indeed!

Oh man... I don't think Nintendo would be ready to pay to Microsoft for the right to use Direct X or something. Besides why the duck would they want to use Direct X? I have always thought that developers use Direct X just because different computers have different set ups. If the game is compatible with Direct X it's compatible with every computer that is compatible with Direct X? I think that Wii has its own "Direct X" which is much better for Wii.

Pretty confusing, eh?

Indeed jakeee you're right. The wii will probably have it's own API that could have some features that are similar to dx10. I mean what restrains them to implement the same features that directx uses?

It's not even confirmed if Nintendo are or not anyway.It could be a bit like Direct X.

I've just watched it and I think its going to use Direct X 10. After he says "Oui Oui" (or possibly "Wii Wii") he says "We are working with nintendo on it" when talking about Direct X 10.

Which is nice.

DirectX is an API. so is OpenGL. ATI make graphics chips, and obviously - they have to work closely with Microsoft/the OpenGL ARB to make sure new features/extensions on their chipsets are supported in the APIs. However, this has nothing to do with Wii, really.

Nintendo have their own SDK, which from what many developers have said - is more similar to OpenGL (the Wii SDK is meant to be similar to the Cube one, and that was more similar to the OpenGL API than DX). As long as it tells the graphics chip what to do, it is of little consequence what the API is.

Nick and DCK are closest to the mark. :P