NEurope
Emasher

The Legend of Zelda Timeline

Wind Waker is set AGES AND AGES after OOT/MM Tellyn888. I like your theory on Dark Link though, but I think the game's been said too be set after OOT; I dont know if that's right 100% though.

I don't think ANYTHING has been said about TP's place in the timeline as of yet. Nintendo sites and NGC just guessed that it causes the great flood of Hyrule. But then something has to happen to drain Hyrule again if other games take place after the Wind Waker, so there must be a major chunk missing between WW and the game after it.

My theory now is that the timeline will all fall into place during TP. Shigsy said this game will change all the following games, and I think Link will be told of his destiny and ancestors, descendants and so on. In order. Or a sidequest of the game is to find out what order the timeline goes in.

New theory for the timeline:

Adventure of Link takes place AFTER the Ocarina of Time, because the towns are named Saria, Ruto and Rauru, after the Sages that brought Ganon's destruction. I doubt the characters were named after the towns because Saria was a Kokiri and couldn't leave the forest to find out about other towns, and there was no trace of the towns in Ocarina of TIme.

did any of you read the first page miyamoto(sp) confirmed the fist 4 games in the timeline went oot loz aol then mm. my theory is that link is trapped in termina so he cannot save hyrule so the gods flood it.

Edit: i think tp takes place in the drained hyrule and the link in it is either the same his son or other decendant. phantom hour glass takes place as a close sequal to wind waker i've never played lttp oos ooa la . i think minish cap takes place in the drained hyrule as well as all the 4 swords games but they take place way after tp.

Four Swords is definitely after Minish Cap, because the Four Sword's origins are seen when Link uses the Four Sword as his main weapon in Minish Cap.

thats right i finished minish cap last summer i guess some one enchanted the blade even further because link only got holigrams on minish cap maby its not even the same sword but it could be.

It is the same sword, it's been confirmed to be called THE FOUR SWORD.

what part of the game did they call it the four sword in?

or was it in game if not who confirmed it?

Nintendo created a new timeline with the N64 games, discarding the mess of Zelda games released on previous consoles. Those titles throw the timeline into whack. It can be assumed that all of the Zelda games pre-Ocarina of Time and handheld adventures occur in their own separate timelines unless it is stated they are chronologically linked to another game.

The new timeline told of how a young Hylian boy raised as a Kokiri came to become the Hero of Time and vanquished the great evil king Ganondorf. This is the new timeline Nintendo caters to with all their current games, although the linking is somewhat vague.

At the end of Ocarina of Time, I believe we see the timeline divided into two. The timeline where Link is returned to a child is completed with Majoras Mask, whereas the timeline Link is sent from continues today. It continued with Wind Waker telling how there was no hero to vanquish Ganondorf when he escaped the Sacred Realm. This was because Link had been returned to his childhood days and was no longer present to save everyone.

It has been said by Nintendo that Twilight Princess will occur in the same timeline as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, although when it is unknown. It was mentioned it takes place in the hundreds of years between the two games, which would mean to tie in with Wind Waker we would need to see Link fail and the entirety of Hyrule flooded by the Gods.

Bottom line, there's only one timeline now. Nintendo have discarded everything prior to Ocarina of Time, and aside handheld adventures, this is the timeline where all Zelda games will take place.

That's just my two cents, or maybe three cents. I haven't thought that much about this, but it makes enough sense as I'm writing it to post it so there ya go.

You all made great points, but i cannot ignore these very elaborated ones:

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=continuity

Check those out, and the timelines.

But yes, i think nintendo is kinda putting the pre-OOT game storylines aside. Because when they made those games i think they did not think about the whole storyline of the series.

But i love this series mystery and lose and vague storyline. You can tie any game in-between. The Metroid storyline is the same. It's not like the rigid in-stone storylines you find in most games nowadays.

But Metroid does have a storyline order.....

Metroid/ZeroMission > Prime > Hunters > Echoes > Corruption > Metroid 2 > Super Metroid > Fusion

But Metroid does have a storyline order.....

Metroid/ZeroMission > Prime > Hunters > Echoes > Corruption > Metroid 2 > Super Metroid > Fusion

True, it's not as lose as the Zelda, but it's pretty open to in-betweens and prequels.

Yeah....but I don't think there's space between 2 & Super is there?!...I think they're just after one another, that's why the others go between the first two :D

Isn't the beginning of Wind Waker wrong to show a young looking Link leaving Hyrule on Epona. Surely it implies Link didn't return because he went to Termina; when infact it was because he wasn't in that timeline any longer!

Am I looking into it too much, or is it a mistake? Is it just the art style that makes the Link leaving look like young Link?

Or will Twilight Princess tell the story of a new Link, in the future timeline, failing in his quest and leaving at the end on horseback?

I'm confused!!

Isn't the beginning of Wind Waker wrong to show a young looking Link leaving Hyrule on Epona. Surely it implies Link didn't return because he went to Termina; when infact it was because he wasn't in that timeline any longer!

Am I looking into it too much, or is it a mistake? Is it just the art style that makes the Link leaving look like young Link?

Or will Twilight Princess tell the story of a new Link, in the future timeline, failing in his quest and leaving at the end on horseback?

I'm confused!!

Haha, i really don't know and that's why i love this series story so much. So epic, so misterious.

Maybe it's just the artstyle, as other adults apear a little weird too, in that cutscene.

This game thrashes all others, takes them into the back alley and kicks them in the head repeatedly until they pass out. Zelda is the best. Does anyone support my theory that Majora's Mask actually takes place BEFORE Ocarina of Time, because Zelda returns him to child form, taking him back in time, while his adult self is still completing the quest.

EDIT: Is Ganon still a Gerudo in his monster form in Zelda 1?

This game thrashes all others, takes them into the back alley and kicks them in the head repeatedly until they pass out. Zelda is the best. Does anyone support my theory that Majora's Mask actually takes place BEFORE Ocarina of Time, because Zelda returns him to child form, taking him back in time, while his adult self is still completing the quest.

EDIT: Is Ganon still a Gerudo in his monster form in Zelda 1?

Nah, because Nintendo herself told us that MM is after OOT.

I think that by the time of the first Zelda Nintendo had no ideia they would have to make a serious storyline to that series, so ganon was just... the last boss, suposedly the hardest one. Nothing more.

I agree with retro_link. I thought it was a younger link riding away on epona aswell which led me to believe that he didnt return to fight ganon because he was in termina. In the starting clip it says the triforce of courage shattered and was scattered around hyrule and i dont recall seeing the triforce symbol on link's hand in mm and if he did have surely you would see it before he fought the skull kid like we did when in the battle against ganondorf.