N-Europe

3D Modelling Thread

Colin

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, I can see it. Looking good Skunky :) Hows it coming along now?

So does anyone know courses in (3D) Animation (the parenthesis indicates its not necessary to be 3D) preferably one year courses for newbies, or relative newbies. I can find postgrads, but obviously my undergrad did not prepare me for that and I have several years photoshop experience and I intend to build up 3D work but yeah... newbie stuff.

I know of Futureworks in Manchester and intend to look around there soon, and Escape Studio mentioned on the previous page. I'd rather London because...well I prefer it to Manchester but anywhere really I suppose. Maybe I need to give Manchester another chance.

(I think I may have rambled pointlessly but there's a question in there somewhere)

Guest Stefkov

So from next week or so I won't be doing anything at all related to 3D so I thought I'd show this off because I want people to say how awesome I am... I jest. I'm a dick. It's a really simple thing to do, just a bunch of spheres, bevelling, lines, lofts and reactor cloth.

woop.th.jpg

One of the assignment we were set; still life. It's not even finished and never will be. I love knowing that.

Ashlay -> I've no idea what would be down in London. I've heard quite a few good things of Futureworks, so all I could say would be give that a go. Plus you'd be up north where all us awesome northeners are. Best thing to do would be to grab a copy of the software and just follow tutorials, or even sign up to a place like this or something.

All they do on the Games course I was on was tell you a few things then tell you to learn the rest yourself. Might aswell save your money.

Edited by Stefkov

Some awesome cloth work there, although where's the colour yo? :p

Location is largely trivial, as long as the course/institute seems good I'll go anywhere really. I just have more of a penance for London. Anywho, I know I could probably build up the same degree of skill alone but I feel doing a course will give me a chance to explore ideas, test things out, get feedback, work with others etc etc and hopefully build some contacts. But I do still have all the links you Tweeted me from a while back thanks :)

Also found Qantm which looks interesting although confusing. For one I can't find the course cost anywhere, they speak as if its mentioned somewhere on the site (namely "prices listed are in pounds" but I can't find any listed prices) and it seems to be a sub-degree course which I won't mind but then it can lead to a degree which I need to find out about in terms of possibility, costs etc etc. Think I'll swing by the careers office on Tuesday.

And found this course which says you don't need an arts degree if you have a good portfolio.

Guest Stefkov

Colour? Naa, there's no need. I have no desire to do so, nor do I have any desire to create the roses to finish off the modelling.

I know what you mean about going someplace to learn something. Same with me and Japanese; I can learn it in my spare time but I'd feel as if I'd get more out of studying it at a Uni.

That Quantm sounds pretty good. The best thing to do is get as much info as you can and check the places out for yourself, like touring the place, ask em a bunch of questions and weigh up the pros and cons of each place. These kind of places are pretty much the same so whichever one you choose, you probably won't choose the wrong one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there guuuuys, let's keep this thread alive Jonny Five style, yooooeah?

I had a deadlines for two 3D assignments last week and have got round to posting them up on my blog.

Here are the two final images from the two assignments.

mackinder_wesley_CH.jpg

Full size

mackinder_wesley_SL.jpg

Full size

Feel free to hit up my blog to read about why both of them are rubbish and what I've learned from them.

www.wesleymackinder.co.uk

Edited by Wesley

I like (although the links are the wrong way :p). Ummm dunno what else to say...better than anything I can do so not something I can criticise but good stuff indeed :)

In regards to the courses I mentioned earlier going to an open day at Futureworks at the end of the month and Qantm start of next. Although the prospectus for Qantm also included the price; £11,000! Includes free laptop, some sources say Mac some sell Dell. Which it is makes a huge difference :heh:

That's really nice tissuetown, the attention to detail you've paid to under the seat and breaks is really nice. Is the image shrunk a little bit? I can see some kind of text at the bottom but can't make it out. Out of interest, how'd you do the tyres? A flat pattern and then bend or a different way?

I like (although the links are the wrong way ). Ummm dunno what else to say...better than anything I can do so not something I can criticise but good stuff indeed

Oh, please do though. It doesn't matter if you can't create the same thing, you can still criticise. I always find the best person for criticism is my girlfriend, and all she uses is Office.

Can anyone help with this stepping down problem I'm having? I still haven't figured out how to properly do it and am struggling. I can't think of any way to do it apart from just creating tris or NGons, or just not bothering to step-down at all and divide the bottom part.

steppingdownhelp.th.jpg

Any pointers would be heeeelpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody work with bipeds on 3dsmax?

Basically I've made a biped, I've made it spin around, but I moved the frames to the end of the equivalent of 12 seconds (about 360frames) so I can do the walk at the start.

Thing is when I start making it walk it starts trying to do the spin at the end, how do I seperate the frames so it doesn't do soemthing thats much further on?!

I've definately moved everything to the end, it actually did this before when I had the spin at the start.

All I want to do is either have the spin at the start of the end and have a walk before or after without it trying to move because of the previous or after slides.

It basically will start moving its arms into position for the spin in the transition between the walking and the spin first, I just want them seperated so it doesn't do that, so its WALK - SPIN - JUMP rather than it being WALKSPINJUMP.

Ooooh, I think I know what you mean now, sorry.

The 3 separate animations kind of start to "merge" together when they're meant to be spaced?

Is it just the arms?

If I remember correctly you just need to edit the limbs in the curve editor and change the curves so they "stay put" until they're actually needed to move.

I'm guessing you had limb 1 at point A, and then later on on the timelime you've moved limb 1 to the new position B?

Because then in Max it'll start to apple the position B straight (the next frame) after you set position A.

I guess just holding it off in the curve editor would fix it.

I think to ensure it doesn't happen again you have to set limb 1 in position A twice; the point you actually want it to be at position A and then later on just before you want position B to start kicking in.

Did that make any sense or did I either waffle or get the wrong end of the stick?

I do both of those quite a lot.

Why are you on Max anyway; I thought you were a Maya girl?

Thats it, yes they seem to be merging when I don't want them to. I'm kinda useless at 3dsmax which is why I'm getting so confused.

I'm a maya girl, for definate everybody uses it now, but my stupid uni seems to want to teach us animation in 3ds max, which I just can't for the life of me use..I don't even know where the curve editor is for example.

I'm sort of understanding..

EDIT: finally found it, sigh >.<

Edited by nightwolf

Yeah I was about to say... Maya is a lot better for animation.

But, you're on a games course.

So... I dunno, I guess Max is used more for games animation than Maya?

Seems really, really odd to have your uni try and teach you the two separate packages.

Have you figured it out now?

Hum... you should be getting more than that on your curve editor.

You need to have your specific bones selected in order for them to pop-up in the editor.

But if you have done that, then I guess the two lines are the X and Y (or Z) axis movements.

In that case you need to have a nice flat line between the end and start of the two animations.

I may have fixed it, for some reason when I first highlighted the whole biped it was just showing the yellow lines (Which I finally figured out - sigh), then when I did it just now it shows the curves like its supposed too, I've pushed them away from the lines to see if it'll make any difference.

Yes tissuetown because its that easy when I want to pass and not waste 9grand :P

Well here's a bit of advice because I have been there. Game companies don't give a shit about whether you pass or not, or if you have a degree. They care about your work.

Plus Maya and 3DS are the same damn thing. They are 3D packages and both are equally shit or good. If they want to see good quality animation, then use whatever you are more comfortable with. If it's a problem with them, but you have a good quality portfolio, and they have a problem with that? Well fuck them.

What matters is, an awesome portfolio.

Edited by tissuetown