NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

It could be the angle but they look like birthing hips. Considering he appears to be a scientists (yes?) you'd expect him to be gangly.

Try messing with the proportions to make it more cartoony. How about a slightly bigger head, longer body?

I'd also say make him incredibly thin, tall, slightly hunched. Otherwise you've got the basics down for modelling a body done well. Just get it smoothed over define it a tiny bit more.

Yeah I agree with the rest, make him tall and lanky. A bit of a goofy look. Include big feet and hands.

Do you start from a sketch when modelling or do you just try to figure out what you want as you go along?

Thanks for the comments guys!

I don't think I'll be going with the tall and lanky though, because that's what my other scientist was going to look like.

And I didn't start from a sketch, which is why I'm having these problems.

Very stupid to start out without a sketch when you're trying to have a character with character (unless you're a proooo).

*opens up character*

Expect another post at 5 in the morning asking for helpppp.

Well if the other one is tall and lanky then this one should obviously be a tiny person. =D

Show us what he ends up looking like. =)

:(

So I've left it for now.

After a few hours of pushing polys I've decided to move on.

Basically, during my Christmas holiday I've put aside a certain amount of days to different modules and this is making me get beeehind.

So I've slotted this later on.

But I'm going to do some drawings for the character until then which I'll post in the general thingie to get some feedback (I cannnnoooot draw).

But for now I'll post the only work I'm allowed to post for the studio I started helping out at!

Basically it was a design project and I had to model the beak, create a rig and do some animations.

grandowl.png

Nice little model. Shame I only did the beak.

grandowl2.png

There's the rig.

grandowl3.png

And the animations.... er.... I can't be bothered to upload them, etc. They're not that great.

Need to work on them over the holiday...

Oh, I lost the texture files.

They were good though.

But they're not mine anyway.

*flies off*

Bones instead of a biped, now thats a clever idea.

I like the owl, shame about the scientist actually. I miss 3ds max already, might start some drawings to do some 3d modelling again.

S'up? Request.

Which is the better method to use? 'Carving out' figures from polygon shapes or drawing them from scratch and extrude all the faces and stuff?

And in each case anyone know any decent tutorials (for Maya pref. but I suppose 3D Max could be okay...)

Yes and yes.

I love my Noctowl and he'd kick your untextured owl's ass!

Bah strip modelling is such a pain, unless using a face model, on a body it seems rather pointless..

Hmm well I will probably need to do a face at some point. Although for now I want to do a cat.

(should probably rephrase that but whatever, ReZ doesn't check out this thread so should be safe)

Hmm well I will probably need to do a face at some point. Although for now I want to do a cat.

(should probably rephrase that but whatever, ReZ doesn't check out this thread so should be safe)

A cat would be fun enough to do out of box modelling and using the bridge function. I'd suggest a cartoon cat, much more fun as you don't have to be realistic which can be a pain when you go to smooth it.

Cheers :)

I did make this ages ago (when I first first got Maya, so like summer?) and just a bunch of polygons thrown together so its not very good (and I intend to start from scratch again at some point) but I was pleased with it at the time;

rbgoio.jpg

If you use bridge you'll get rid of the obvious marks of where you made the different polygons, otherwise its shaping up nicely, I personally would stick with it.

I like that you've managed to do fur, fur/hair is incredibly painful and annoying to do, just like rigging/weighting imo.

I'm not so fond of the model to be honest. I'll start again and do it as a mini project (eg sketches -> drawing -> 3D model -> animation) for my portfolio. But ta duck :)

Cool beans, I'm itching to get back to 3ds max I've missed it, for my next project I'm going to make bits and pieces for my ut3 level. Probably some form of hut, fishing pole and a pot for the fire. Hmm..

This thread is falllllling.

We need to make sure this thread is always in the top 3 because it's the best thread on NE.

What has everyone been up to?

Currently I'm making a tram:

Feltham%20Tram_Metropolitan_Large.jpg

I know a fucking stupid amount about this tram now.

I mean, names, model numbers, dates it was used and where...

I'm such a nerd.

I was thinking of actually buying a scaled model or some to scale orthographic drawings of it to help with the modelling.

Then I realised I didn't need them and I was just stalling with actually making work.

I'm starting work on creating a new landscape for an old piece I did a while back.

The Victoria Tower if anyone remembers.

I'm thinking a country-side obviously...

Maybe a fence in need of repair behind it, with a old barn in the not-to-distant background.

Then just fields that blur out.

I nearly got run over by a tram in Hiroshima.

That's about all I can add to trams...

I still intend to do that cat. I thought I'd draw up the reference images yesterday with some spare time at work then realised I have no way to check proportions and that. Soon though, SOON!

Maybe we should (when people are free) setup a sort of competition, pick something to make, host it on here and see how people make the object?

Might be interesting for each other obviously we'll all be doing it slightly differently and be good to pick up tips from one another.

Perhaps rather than "make x" it should be "make something based upon x"...like themes? Like in GCSE/A-level art-based subjects you get a series of 'themes' for your final piece to pick (for example my A-level Photography theme was 'receptacles and containers'.

That way it shifts it slightly from a "whose best at Maya/3Dsmax" to "who can create the most interesting work"...if that makes sense?

Indeed, I just thought with Wesley needing time to do stuff and with me and you needing the practise it might be good to do some work away from work work and uni work.

Sign in to follow this