NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

The real world wouldn't have me making three different games at once to be fair. Deadlines yes, three games at once - no.

Its like nobody communicates with each other in that place. Alas its alright anyway.

After losing my work I had to start from scratch on my modelling work. Heres my bumper car take 2..I have to say the silver lining to losing your usb pen, your work is better.

renderedbumpercar.jpg

and basically finished, just got little bits to tweak.

nearlyfinished.jpg

Just got to put a particle emitter on the top as its part of the requirements, then rig a characters hands to the steering wheel. If anybody has any simple rigging tuts that'd be great.

Edited by nightwolf

Well I was wondering if I could just rig a bipeds hands to the steering wheel? Its just a requirement I have to do, its the only bit I can thing of rigging.

More updates:

bumpercarline.jpg

reflectiverender.jpg

try200.jpg

Do you have to model the an actual human and then rig it (and have the hands on the wheel) or are you using the actual biped itself as the character?

If it's the latter then yeah, just sit the biped in a nice pose with the hands on the wheel and just use the select and link tool to link the palms to the wheel. Just make sure that the object centre on the wheel and base (I'm presuming they're the same object) is the middle of the the wheel and then it'll rotate all nice (using local, not view) and the biped's hands will follooooow.

Really awesome looking bumper cars when they're all lined up and looking glossy!

We don't have to use models, we can do, but really because its an animation module not a modelling module I can use bipeds. I'll stick to using link tool then.

Thanks guys, I'm glad I lost my usb pen just to show my bumper cars off. Nice to be proud of work for a change ^_^

EDIT: been talking to the housemate, she thinks putting numbers on the back of the bumper cars might look interesting, watcha think?

Probably add a touch of realism. I'd imagine they would have some on in case theres any problems with them (although not seen one in ages so cannot confirm this).

Oooh, yeah.

You mean like big numbers on them?

I think I remember them like that.

Also some other detail like some random stickers that have bumper car logos or something.

Ooooh, maybe big numbers on the front too?

I love them all shiny and glossy but what about some wear and tear? They do crash into each other/have kids all over them afterall ^_^

These are just ideas anyway that may exist in your head. The models do rock :D

Haha, I was going to make them grungy, but I like the way they are at the moment. I'll maybe make some grungy ones after I've submitted it to give some contrast, the deadline is too short for me to be messing with them too much.

Is this your own individual assignment? Or a group one?, my uni seem to be giving everyone group ones all the time, which is good but at the same time there are conflicts ...

Group related work at a university when there is no experienced authoritarian to lead the group can only lead to disaster, or at best, really bad work.

I speak from experience.. concentrate on your own work, and not what other people are doing.

Can any of you lot help asap?

Basically I've started modelling a character, everythings fine until I do symmetry, I've done one half of the body, then click symmetry modifier and I get this..

Its supposed to have the legs slightly apart! In every tutorial I've put up it seems to work fine, but mine doesn't.

eeeep.jpg

It may sound obvious (and apologies if it comes across as patronising) but did you build the first leg to the very middle? Would explain why there's no gap.

I did think that might be the issue, but then I moved the vertices around and I still got the same issue.

Just adjust the mirror plane gizmo.

captuream.png

It automatically puts it at the pivot point (most likely your foot).

Can any of you lot help asap?

Basically I've started modelling a character, everythings fine until I do symmetry, I've done one half of the body, then click symmetry modifier and I get this..

Its supposed to have the legs slightly apart! In every tutorial I've put up it seems to work fine, but mine doesn't.

This might sound really obvious and patronising (bear in mind I know nothing about 3D modelling), but did you "build" half the groin line? It's the groin that provides space between the legs, isn't it, so I'd have thought you need to include that? Sorry if I've misunderstood something.

PS - Your finished dodgem car looks great.

Meh, can't get my rigging to work. I can get it connected to the skin for sure, but my weight doesn't want to work at all.

I connect it with vertices, etc etc. But for the life of me just can't it working right. I need this for my marks. Sigh.

How about a night off? Sometimes a good rest does make it all click into place.

I can't really afford to, its due in friday at 12 and rendering could take anything from 3 seconds to 3 days.

So I need it done by wednesday at the latest, I've yet to get the weight sorted, then I need to do a run cycle.

Albiet it doesn't sound much, but I'd rather get it done now and stay up late than leave it and worry tomorrow!

Sorry to double post.

Can anybody think of another way to rig something? My tutor says I don't have to rig a human, instead I can use a biped thats been altered slightly. But all I can think of is my bumper car, but how I'd rig something like that is beyond me...

First of all, no offence but attempting to rig a character is beyond your capacity at the moment. Second of all, a bumper car does not need to be rigged, unless you have specific animatable parts on it.

First of all, no offence but attempting to rig a character is beyond your capacity at the moment. Second of all, a bumper car does not need to be rigged, unless you have specific animatable parts on it.

Haha tell me about it, although for some reason they are expecting us to rig something. Alot of my friends/classmates have managed to rig a character, but it takes way too much effort to get right.

I emailed the tutor anyway, see if he can give me something to rig tomorrow. If not I'll skip it and get less marks. Its not worth the stress right now.

Haha tell me about it, although for some reason they are expecting us to rig something. Alot of my friends/classmates have managed to rig a character, but it takes way too much effort to get right.

I emailed the tutor anyway, see if he can give me something to rig tomorrow. If not I'll skip it and get less marks. Its not worth the stress right now.

Seriously, this is what I mean. In the industry, rigging alone takes a minimum of 4 weeks. That's only in the movie industry. Well depends what you rig.

If you HAVE to do it, seriously, go for something really simple. Hell do a pencil, and animate that, give it life. Work with your limitations. Don't do something so complex, because you won't learn anything.

We got given 6 weeks for the whole thing. Timescales on these assignments is pretty ridiculous to be fair.

I was going to sort the steering wheel and stuff.

I feel kinda bad that my classmates seem to just get this stuff and when I try it it just won't work. Bleh bleh!

Do something simple. When John Lasseter had limits, he animated a pair of Luxo Lamps. That's two joints for each lamp.

Sign in to follow this