NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
opentarget

Nintendo’s plan? (No secret theories here!)

Dose Nintendo know what they need to do to draw back gamers?

My thoughts:

For older gamers who have jumped ship to Sony/Microsoft:

Nintendo need to resurrect there past glory titles, these people will not be able to resist the pull of follow ups to old gems like Kid Icarus , duck hunt, urban champion(come on Nintendo) and StarTropics…..the list of IP’s is endless!

For the undecided sega fans one game might be draw enough…Nights!

Now with a Nights sequel for Revolution, Nintendo can draw in a lot of the “true†sega fans (if its an exclusive that is, also sega fans would play Nintendo games as well im sure).

And as for the casual gamer:

It’s not like any of the casual gamers I know want to play Mario or have even heard of Nights or kid Icarus all the want is $hit like GTA and FIFA games! But Nintendo have EA support and now the all “important†rockstar as well.

If Nintendo bring out rev for the expected 150-200 quid mark the first two categories of people mentioned above will probably pick one up, the last group might be harder to persuade as the are traped by the playstation culture.

Are my thoughts a bit naive? Dose it feel like Nintendo are being very aggressive this time around?

Dose Sony put to much stock in the “brand†value of the PS3?(I think Sega made this mistake with the Saturn)

And did the xbox 360 come out to soon for it to just feel not quite next gen? (Look at dreamcast...I loved that thing may it rest in peace)

Are my thoughts a bit naive?
A bit. Dividing the market in groups like these doesn't work. Few people will be persuaded in that way. Your strategies for MS/Sony/Sega fans are way too simple to work really.

There is not one strategy can follow. Nintendo needs to do their own thing well, better than they did with the Cube, and then they'll be alright.

1, Are my thoughts a bit naive? Dose it feel like Nintendo are being very aggressive this time around?

2, Dose Sony put to much stock in the “brand†value of the PS3?(I think Sega made this mistake with the Saturn)

1: yes, you are... nintendo promised the gamecube would be (and i quote) 'the antithesis of the N64' - and then they went on to do everything the same way in terms of delays and thirdparty support. the revolution looks good. but it needs nintendo to deliver. until they have actually done something meaningful, we can't say whether or not they will be agressive.

2, the Saturn never had a 10th of the brand value the PS3 has. it also was technically redundant.

and i question whether sega has the draw it once did. NiGHTS is a good game remembered by a very vocal hardcore few - it does not have the ability to satisfy someone looking for the next GTA on PS3.

And as for the casual gamer:

It’s not like any of the casual gamers I know want to play Mario or have even heard of Nights or kid Icarus all the want is $hit like GTA and FIFA games! But Nintendo have EA support and now the all “important†rockstar as well.

What?

Nintendo have support from Rockstar?

Hope they bring out a graphically improved version of GTA: SA, that uses the FHC...

2, the Saturn never had a 10th of the brand value the PS3 has. it also was technically redundant..

I disagree about your Saturn comment, the reason the PS brand is so big is because the market has rapidly expanded(because of the PS1’s commercial success). When Saturn came out it had the weight of the megadrive to push it along. The market just wasn’t the size it is now.

What?

Nintendo have support from Rockstar?

Hope they bring out a graphically improved version of GTA: SA, that uses the FHC...

Most likely it'll be a table tennis game. I'm not kidding.

A bit. Dividing the market in groups like these doesn't work. Few people will be persuaded in that way. Your strategies for MS/Sony/Sega fans are way too simple to work really.

I know it’s a bit simplified to cut up the market like I did but I only posted it as a outlying strategy idea. :cry:

Most likely it'll be a table tennis game. I'm not kidding.

QFT. But this is a good thing. And the game will be cheaper than standard games.

Rockstart will probably earn more on the Revolution incarnation than the 360 version. And maybe think abit different afterwards. Atleast that's what I hope happens

To be honest I don't understand why everytime someone mentions a remake of a retro title is announced so many people go crazy. KidIcarus is a stone old 2D game, duck hunt was quite cool BACK THEN when the light gun was new, ... but I doubt those games will be reference games which every gamer wants because the majority of its image is because it used to be a great game - even many mediocre games are now being hyped just because they are old.

Nintendo is always good at promising things .... Zelda delay for Revolution support, Mario 128 for the Gamecube and now NEC says it will ship the Revolution chips to Nintendo when autumn starts. That means Nintendo can't release their console before XMAS anywhere but in Miyamotos office.

I do not say Nintendo is doomed or doing everything wrong but until I see a decent market share after a year when the Revolution launched it was empty phrases again. Sometimes I doubt that Nintendo even has a true plan - a plan where everything is outlined not just the part somebody thinks is the most important one.

Controller: Done very good!

Design: Done very good

DVD: Mistake from the past, solved!

Power? Launch Date? Support? Marketing?

Where is the plan for that?

Is a bit naive.If Nintendo want to draw alot of gamer's they need a really mature game like GTA.Though it is probably just a Table Tennis game though...

I think they showed with the DS that they can do things right, however, they were always strong in the handheld market.

I think Nintendo could also be very attractive to the shooter addicts because of the FHC and even draw PC gamers to consoles.

However, I'm not that sure what Ninty will do marketing wise. If they present the wrong things or advertise the wrong way they could end up in 3rd place again.

And they need lots of good titles in the first few month.

I think after E³ we can judge if they got a great plan or not but at the moment they're keeping quiet, too quiet... :D

Is a bit naive.If Nintendo want to draw alot of gamer's they need a really mature game like GTA.Though it is probably just a Table Tennis game though...

I don't know why but i just love the idea of beating olds peole with the controller

The mindset of an average gaming consumer

1. Do I need it? [yes?] go to point 2. [no?] spend your money on pogs.

2. Can I afford it? [yes?] Buy console of choice [no?] go to point 3.

3. Are there games you like on Revolution? [yes?] Buy one then [no?] spend your money on pogs.

Games decide first console of choice.

Price decides second console of choice. Nintendo wins here.

Ill be happier if it is really the table-tennis game. It'll be awesome with the FHC.

(IMO gta sucks!!!)

Table Tennis is more of a mini game for me, not even worth the £30 it costs on the 360.

i think a full kitted virtual tennis will be bound to come out on the rev, online aswell. it would be awesome, they would just have to do the online right and i think it could the the best virtual tennis game.

Ill be happier if it is really the table-tennis game. It'll be awesome with the FHC.

I'd prefer the table tennis game too. I think GTA is a great game but I don't like it much. Table tennis with the FHC would be class!!!

And yet another sub-group of people join the Revolution.... Table tennis players! :p

tabletennis_300.jpg

I don't see how GTA is so popular.Guess it's just 'cool'.

Or there could be the fact that its an excellent game. The last one was perhaps a disappointment however its an extremely well developed game, creates a truly immersive environment and is a whole lot of fun, the plot may not be too great in any of the games and some may see the violence as excessive but its still an excellent series. It sometimes seems to me that the cool thing to do is to slag it off just because casual gamers like it, despite the fact that it just happens to be a rare game that almost everyone can enjoy in some capacity.

Meaning I didn't know how San Andreas was popular just didn't think it was as good as the previous ones.I mean I have Vice City and I quite enjoyed it.

I swear Rockstar have not confirmed anything for the Rev, yet, so why you assuming? From what ive heard Nintendo have made contact with them and thats bascially it. Also there is this rumour that Rockstar have been sent 35 Revolution dev kits. I dont know what to believe right now, but I hope they finally show some support.

Sign in to follow this