NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Smowza

Metroid Prime 3 Multiplayer. Do you think...?

DS usually only has 4 player multiplayer because of its hardware limitations, the wi-fi receives much less data than Revolution could, so 16 player could be possible.

Everyone seems to be making the assumption this game will actually even HAVE online, there's no guarantee of anything like that now. There was no intention for it to be in Hunters originally remember, I doubt it's suddenly going to become a Metroid staple.

If it does have it though, which I admit it probably is likely to, I don't expect more than 8 player myself to be honest, if even that. It just doesn't feel Nintendo-like at this moment in time to have something like 16 player online, it'd be nice I guess, but I'd be really surprised to see it.

Your got to be joking J McG.^

Why wouldn't Retro have online multiplayer for MP3?

nintendo doesn't host any game servers the players them self's host games, the only servers nintendo have are login and now possibly voip servers. If they do really good network code they should be abble to get arround 8-10 players with out any central servers setup.

Don´t you think nintendo can just loose a bit of money by setting up some servers?

I mean...they have a mega-contractwith MCDonalds, and all big hotspotproviders...

They want you to have the best experience...and if 16 players is necessary and the technical ability is there, they´ll give you 16player-mode...just as simple

Last I heard, Nintendo were considering an Live-style option. They're obviously going to go for the online thing, and in a big way, but exactly how remains to be seen. They need to find a counter balance between organisation and accesabillity, but I feel that the Revo online service could end up being quite different to the DS. We'll all know by the end of E3.

They should set it up like Bungie do... You choose the type of game you want to play and it finds other people wanting to do that game as well, then it selects the person with the best connection to host the game..

If only Nintendo were that smart...

Goku, yeah they'll get the economists down and get them to cruch some numbers.. Nintendo effectively will make a small loss in the development phases but will make back intense revenues from software sales and hardware sales.

They can cover the cost of the network and staffing no problem.. they've done it with Nintendo wifi for the DS.. they will need to build on it but that's not the problem here.

Nintendo does indeed have a contract with McDonalds, BT, thecloud and many other wifi providers around the world, it cost a lot of money and if you read the tech pages you'd know that the entire city of london is to be blanketed in wifi by the government with a subsidy to thecloud and BT.

It cost them 'an undisclosed sum' to have it set up but you can bet it was 6 figures.

It's quite irrelevant because to play Nintendo Revolution everyone will supply their own internet connection, just because the system has the technical ability, bandwidth through the wireless card and technical processing ability does not mean they have the infastructure to run so many players.

It's a pointless debate really because we don't know whether the game will have it, we know it's not first party so we don't know if Nintendo will foot the bill for us to play and we don't know how many players that bill will budget for.

HellFire DS can recieve just as much data as Revolution, they are both based around the exact same network protocols.. for simplicity and safety reasons.

HellFire DS can recieve just as much data as Revolution, they are both based around the exact same network protocols.. for simplicity and safety reasons.

Nintendork, you need to read a bit deeper on those points that you try to use in arguments. Whilst DS and Revolution both use the same WiFi protocols, at least that is what has been revealed so far, Nintendo have confirmed that the DS has a restricted data bandwidth because of the wireless hardware that it contains.

yeah the ds is limited to 2mb up 2mb down, that is more then enough for a 16player game.

however not that many people have a 2mb upstream link with there isp, adsl i think maxes out at just 1mb but you whould be lucky to even have that since most isp's focus on there downstream links.

The Revolution probably has 54 Mbps bandwidth (802.11g standard) and that's more than enough for even 32 players online simultaneously, if they weren't slowed by internet connections.

Sign in to follow this