NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

revo SD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Revolution

Media:

Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with both 12 cm Revolution optical discs (8.5 GB) and 8 cm Gamecube optical discs (1.5 GB) as well as standard DVD discs. (A first for self loading drives)

2 Front-loading SD memory card slots.

I have just got myself 3Gb worth of SD cards (separate application)

and a card reader.

would I be right in thinking I could pop saves on the sd card, then pop them onto my HDD?

and from E3 they said 512Mb, but I assume it also can take 1Gb/2Gb cards?

One thread is enough ya know. Yes, you can. It was made that way, why else would they use them?

One thread is enough ya know. Yes, you can. It was made that way, why else would they use them?

I'm not sure how the second thread was made, possibly clicked post twice by accident :s

Really I was wandering if we would be able to copy the data from a GC card, to SD card, to HDD.

I'm guessing not, but hoping you can.

and have Nintendo officially stated you can use the 1 and 2Gb SD cards, or is that assumed?

i think you got to format the sd-cards with a special file-system to use it with revo...

nintendo thinks very basicly about copy-protection(proprietary disks anyone?)

Really I was wandering if we would be able to copy the data from a GC card, to SD card, to HDD.

I'm guessing not, but hoping you can.

and have Nintendo officially stated you can use the 1 and 2Gb SD cards, or is that assumed?

I think Nintendo have stated that any gamecube saves need a gamecube memory card and cannot be saved onto SD card. (Correct me someone if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that)

Yeah you can use 1 and 2 GB cards. The 512 of memory was the amount the of flash memory the system comes with.

Yeah and as someone said you probably do have to format SD cards with a special file system. Can't remember reading this anywhere but it is very likely.

I remember discussing of DRM, each revo would have a unique number, so you would get the code, but it would only run on your Revo, so I'm hoping that the contents can be transferred to PC, although tbh I find it quite likely that Nintendo will stop that to save Nintendo unfriendly activities (emulation/altering code so it can be run on any revo) from happening.

bit of a change then... cheapest SD cards. I can find 512Mb for under £15, and that was the cheapest (per Mb) I could find... anyone found it much cheaper? (I'm guessing cheapest would be 512Mb or 1Gb for the time being)

I think Nintendo have stated that any gamecube saves need a gamecube memory card and cannot be saved onto SD card. (Correct me someone if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that)

Some 3rd party (although Nintendo planned to, but didn't) made SD-based memory cards so you can share your game saves online. It wasn't that big of a hit, since the cube isn't that big of a console. If Nintendo were to deny having GC saves on the SD card, then what was the point of allowing this 3rd party device be made?

Pestneb mate, can you please not make threads based on information from Wikepedia. We all know that it can often be unreliable as a source of factual information. Dpn't mean to moan but I just don't want to see people going wild over facts that are untrue. Not that this information isn't true of course.

The problem with Wikipedia is mostly that people can't really quote or show what their source of information is. Everyone can post something at Wikipedia and it takes damn long until errors are corrected because first you have to find the wrong articles.

512mb is built in. That is what is confirmed. Developpers have access to this low speed memory as well as the on board CPU/GPU memory.. but obviously results will not be as good.

The problem is, I don't see an SD port on the back or on the top of the system, that is my problem... It's so un-Nintendo to go from proprietary memory to using something that can be effectively hacked and shared online, downloaded to SD and compromise the Revolution's system.. in particular the virtual console..

I am still skeptical as to whether there are SD slots under the front flap of the console.

Wikipedia is great, respect to the people who write this stuff, but at the end of the day with something that is a secret device, so little known about it and sources often, as mentioned disregarded I wouldn't consider wikipedia a great source.

I still haven't read or heard anyone from Nintendo or a credible news source saying that there will be SD in Revolution.. I can't comment further but I think with 2 GameCube cards engineered into the chip set, and 512mb of solid ram on board I see no god damned reason why we would need SD cards.. It can only lead to bad things for the console.. A save file is a save file at the end of the day.. they don't get considerably bigger from game to game or generation to generation since they have been introduced.

I see no reason why the 512mb and the GameCube memory sticks can't be used as the save file technology and storage for downloaded content from Nintendo wifi.

Some 3rd party (although Nintendo planned to, but didn't) made SD-based memory cards so you can share your game saves online. It wasn't that big of a hit, since the cube isn't that big of a console. If Nintendo were to deny having GC saves on the SD card, then what was the point of allowing this 3rd party device be made?

Sorry, I meant I'm sure they said that for the Revo to save GC games you needed a GC memory card.

I know wikipedia isn't 100% reliable - thats why I popped it in as a source, so people could make their own judgement.

I'm pretty sure there was mention of SD at E3.

I can't check these sources, bit a quick google brought up

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/news_6125078.html

nintendo.about.com/od/e32005coverage/a/e3revdetails.htm

http://www.i4u.com/article3435.html

gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5174

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4558555.stm

gear.ign.com/articles/634/634114p1.html

I haven't been able to check those links thoroughly, as I'm at work and they don't like "game" sites, so I only had the short description google gave.

and yes, perhaps they aren't all reliable, but I am very sure Nintendo said they would use SD cards.

and insecure? ironic considering the SD stands for Secure Digital.

and precedence? in Japan, Nintendo released a GC memory card adapter for SD cards.

(can't check this link but hopefully it works)

http://www.lik-sang.com/ info.php?category=52&products_id=776

maybe they have changed their minds, or maybe the SD cards are behind that flap, but I am convinced at E3 2k5 atleast Nintendo intended to support SD.

note also they are supporting USB too, which has no precedence afaik.

I don't know where the whole "worlds first slot loading drive to take different sizes of discs" came from. My stereo in my card is slot loading and can take either size :wtf:

I'm pretty sure I read that the built-in 512 MB SD card is just a regular SD card you can remove and replace with a bigger one.

I will be switching the 512 MB SD with the 1 GB SD card I use for my PYM.

Revolution comes with 512 flash memory and it also accepts SD cards, that's the official version. Wether it's like Stabby said or not we can only speculate. If we can transfer things to a PC, than this method is perfect.

It's on board, otherwise developpers wouldn't have access to it from software source code.

I will believe this SD slot malarkey when I read it, the method is indeed perfect and I'm optimistic of the possibilities with Nintendo wifi and it.. but at the end of the day I can't believe such speculation out of 'want' over reading real proof.

I've studied the patent pretty thoroughly, there's no SD slot on the back, underside, side or top.

The only place it could be is under the flap.. and as far as I'm aware nobody outside Nintendo knows this.

nintendo have defintly said sd cards will be supported, you should be abble to backup your cards to your computer however games downloaded will be wrapped in drm and possible game saves as well which means they will only play on the console you downloaded it to.

Sign in to follow this