NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Show Your Bones- Update: Review Added

This is a call to all you Yeah Yeah Yeahs fans out there. The new album "Show your bones" is out next month! March 27th to be exact.

The new single "gold lion" is hitting our shores on March 20th. For a chance to hear the new single, visit http://www.yeahyeahyeahs.com/index2.html

I, for one, can't bluddy wait! This has been long overdue. :) Anyone else really looking forward to this?

Update!

I have got the album and, as promised, here is my review.

For starters, i have to tell you that i am a massive fan of the first album. I was a tiny bit skeptical about this new album, mainly due to the fact that i didn't think that the new album could ever surpass the first.

Here is my track by track analysis:

Gold Lion

Starts off with a drum lead intro, reminiscent of Queen's we will rock you. But, as soon as the vocals start, you know that this track belongs to the YeahYeahYeahs. The song manages to somehow evolve and keep evolving, peaking with a guitar solo about half way through the song. There's a nice mellow section which abruptly stops the song...only for karen o to bring it all back together! Very, very different from the material on the first album, but welcome. I give this 7/10. It's not their best, but it shows how their sound can vary, and that's a beautiful thing.

Way Out

I love the way this song starts out. Sounds a wee bit anthemic. I can guarantee that you will be humming this song or have it still playing in your head after it finishes. Karen's vocals really shine during the chorus, but seem a bit subdued during the verses. However, that's not a bad thing. Another fantastic solo here which is accompanied by some great drumming by Brian Chase. Worthy of an 8/10

Fancy

Starts off with another drum lead introduction, with the guitars coming in to backen it up. This song really is different to the songs off fever to tell. There is a certain maturity that the band have strengthened and developed, and this song summarises that up. However, at 4:24, it is the longest song on the album. Could maybe have been a bit shorter, as the band tend to excel at the shorter songs rather than long, drawn out epics. Fortunately, this is not painful listening. The drums really make this song, and shows how important Brian, as well as the other members, are important to this band. 7/10 is a very fair score for this.

Phenomena

My girlfriend is a very big YeahYeahYeahs fan, and the chorus really captured her. In my opinion, the verse guitar riff makes the song. Each instrument seems to speak out to you as a seperate entity, but yet as one at the same time. There's a little funky bit where an alarm is going off in the backward, and that reminds me of all samples that the band like to play around with. The interlude sounds VERY rage against the machine-y, but that is a great thing. I would have to say that this is one of the strongest tracks on the album, and therefore an 8/10 seems to do it justice for me.

Honeybear

Yet another strong introduction from the band. At 2:25 this is the shortest song on the album.But the band seem to really surpass themselves with this song. They've created a song worthy to be sang out by crowds at the top of their lungs during gigs. This track really has to be heard. An 8.5/10

Cheated Hearts

Apparantly, this track was first introduced 2 years ago (or so) during a live session. My girlfriend tells me that the song has really come along since then and has come into its own. I really fell in love with this song as soon as it started. As soon as the chorus came into play, i knew that this song has just about surpassed every song that appears on fever to tell. It's melodic, it's beautiful, and it's sexy. This song deserves 9.5/10.

No song is perfect, but this is damn, mighty close.

Dudley

After cheated hearts, this song slows the pace down and brings us into the melody section of the album. This song is one for the lovers, and for those who basically just like to relax and be at one with themself and music. It's not as great as the other songs, but it's still a fantastic track in its own right. 7/10.

Mysteries

As it starts up, this song has a smooth country feel to it. It's one of the weaker songs on the album, but if this is weak then it just shows how good this album really is. A fast-picking solo by Nick Zinner is worth listening for. 6/10

The Sweets

A very, very slow song that perhaps slows the pace down too much. It's a peaceful song and is along the lines of "modern romance". Again, one of the weaker songs on the whole album. I'm not a great fan of this. There is a section near the end where it speeds up and changes. Reminds me of behind blue eyes by the Who. It's certaintly a redeeming feature for this song. Not great. 5/10

Warrior

Carries on the theme of slow songs. Karen's voice really is the key to this song, and i think she makes the song what it is. Around 2:18, this song really kicks off with Nick Zinner coming in with the guitars and upping the tempo. From there on, it's a classic. A 7/10 seems pretty decent for this song.

Turn into

The guitar intro made me feel a bit teary, and from then on i knew that this song was going to be great. You can feel it as the song progresses. This is a tear-jerker of a song, but sort of uplifting at the same time. It's up there, along with cheated Hearts, as the best song of the album. Just the way it sounds speaks volumes about how far this band have come. The guitar solo seems strange, but weepy. It almost brought me to tears, and for a song to do that it must have some sort of hidden power. You can't put your finger on it, but you know it's there. 9.5/10. This song NEEDS to be heard.

Bonus Track: De Ja Vu

I think this should have been included on the album, but not as a bonus track. It would have made a fantastic intro to the album, and that saddens me a little. Fantastic vocals, and the rocky, hard-edged sound of the music accompany it well. The solo is one to watch out for, and probably one of the best on the whole album. I strongely urge you to check out this track, as it is a personal favourite of mine. 9/10

So, there you have it. It's a fantastic album, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Do not go into this expecting it to be Fever To Tell. This is NOT fever to tell, this is the next chapter in the story that is the YeahYeahYeahs. I hope this review helps someone out there.

I have already posted this in a reply on page you. I edited this post here as well for convenience.

holy crap! where did that come from?

Im a fan of the first album. hows this one turning out?

At first I thought this thread would be a request for us to take pictures of our....bones. I was scared :woops:

holy crap! where did that come from?

Im a fan of the first album. hows this one turning out?

Exactly what i said when i find this info out a few days ago. I predicted that an album would be out this year, but i never knew it would be out this soon!

I think Gold Lion is an ok tune. This is the only song i've heard off the new album, so i can't really say how its turning out exactly. But, i will post a full review of this album on here as soon as i get it. :)

awesome. I know they can't possibly top Maps (or can they!?) but i hope its good.

If they top, or even rival, a song as good as Date with the Night, then i will be happy. :)

I've got fever to tell on right now.

Y CONTROL

Y CONTROOLLL

You walk walk walk

My will is outttta control :)

I was mooching round iTunes and found Gold Lion. Like it, bit different and slower but I like it. Will probably get the album at some point, but im supposed to be on a budget...

I was mooching round iTunes and found Gold Lion. Like it, bit different and slower but I like it. Will probably get the album at some point, but im supposed to be on a budget...

The pace was the first thing i noticed about the song. You know its a yeah yeah yeahs song, but it just sounds a bit different. Doesn't mean its bad really. :) My girlfriend likes it quite a lot, and she's a massive fan.

I'm definitely going to pick this up on release day. Screw budgets. :P

My budget is £10 a week. Gonna be interesting to see if I can stick to it.

My budget is £10 a week. Gonna be interesting to see if I can stick to it.

That's not a budget, that's masochism.

I wonder how many people came into this thread with naked webcam pics at the ready?

That's not a budget, that's masochism.

Well I am a masochist. I don't need to pay bills or anything so its purely £10 for selfishness, which I should be okay with. Except when I go out I'll spend more obviously but then I can go out and spend less than £10.

I am a massive yeah yeah yeahs fan and have been awaiting this album for a long time...obviously you do not check out their website or read NME very often as they have had more or less constant updates on the album and the release date was announced about a month ago or more along with a tour with dates to be announced.

I saw them 2 years ago and they were fantastic... im also gonna see them at the ATP festival in camber sands in May...they have a whole day dedicated to them, funnily enough its called "yeah yeah yeahs day" where the band pick other bands to play with them and have activities going on and they also take over the TV network.

I love Fever to tell, it was in fact my ex girlfriend and mine sex music, always played that album when we were getting down to the good stuff. Ah the memories when i listen to it now...hehe. I hope the new album is just as good.

Ive seen the new video to the song Gold Lion and its superb, i also love the song, its a bit different but still very awesome and has the classic Karen O orgasmic screams.

So linky my boy just like you i cant wait to pick up this album.

I love Fever to tell, it was in fact my ex girlfriend and mine sex music, always played that album when we were getting down to the good stuff. Ah the memories when i listen to it now...hehe. I hope the new album is just as good.

Weird. I always used to listen to it while playing Worms 3D. ::shrug:

Show your bones!? Enough with the misleading thread titles already!

Hardly misleading. It's the damn album title!

I've got Fever to Tell and it's an amazing album. Been looking forward to the follow up for ages now.

I can't wait tbh..........probably going to buy it on the day it comes out or order it online at play.com. :hehe:

Yes Linky boy its very misleading. Now re name this to something relevant like the album title we are discussing!

in all fairness. it is a wierd title, and without knowing its an album, could mean anything. Guy has a point (somewhere)

So would any album title if you didnt know the album or artist. Thats why you click a thread title to find out whats it all about. I dont see the big deal to honest. pfftt.

in all fairness. it is a wierd title, and without knowing its an album, could mean anything. Guy has a point (somewhere)

There are a number of ways of knowing what this thread is about without actually opening the thread. The most obvious one is just highlighting the thread with a mouse and you will get a small square with the first post within it. Solves A LOT of time and effort. I think he's just making a fuss over very little, really.

Sign in to follow this