NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Smowza

Stand is the power supply?

That is ridiculous. it would canibalise the DS and Nintendo would have a watered down saturated market and it would definitely be the end of them.

Maybe it's a portable batterypack?

Then it wouldn't be included for free. The Rev's not portable at all anyway.

I think NOM might've gotten it wrong or Nintendo are changing the design (so the drawings from the patent aren't final).

I'm amazed how many people believe it, if you look at the console with and without the stand you'll see that in places it is wafer thin sheets of plastic to make it cheaper (less plastic less cost) if it were some sort of brick it would probably not be such an obstructive shape.

Battery packs and DC/AC converters are not made out of putty.. You can't just mould it into any shape you want.

revo_imagen2.jpg

LOOK. The back of the stand is virtually wafer thin. There is no connection, there is no way for energy to flow under here safely. It would never pass health and safety regulations, it would be completely innefficient use of space.

The console is small enough as it is, if they wanted a freaking battery they could put 10 in it. It would still be half the size of the xbox 360 and PS3.

THE ARGUMENT HAS NO LOGIC TO IT.

I am completely 100% going to stand by my word that this stand is made of a plastic polymer, and nothing else (except perhaps some rubber grip feet and a sticker on the bottom)

THINK about it, on a wider scale.. Think how a battery is DC but the console patent clearly details an AC connection, Think Nintendo wants it to be cheap, Think Nintendo wants it to be small, Think that for convenient gameplay it would sit by a television.. Think it needs to be simple for your average consumer to set up (this is starting to sound more complicated than installing linux). For God's sake think.

Yes Nintendo have something up their sleeve but this is just ludicrous.

The project 3D idea.. i'm still staying quiet about that. it could have a home on the revolution..

Yeah it's unlikely that anything is hidden in the stand. A battery is just ridicilous.

What's wrong with installing Linux btw :wink: ?

Linux does not suck it just takes more time to understand. I brought that battery thing up and to be honest I don't believe it myself. I guess the stand mighth be some sort of shell to put the power supply in it so that you can save space.

Yeah, that'd be a stylish and practical idea but even then they would put a heat source under the Revolution. It's probably just a piece of plastic.

About Linux: I've got to admit it's been designed more as a workstation than a personal computer (which gets annoying at times), but it has lots of pros. I prefer using it over Windows.

it does go quite thick and bulky at the front... there could well be a battery there. but why. its a home console. it probably would be good playing it in the car, but then how do you play withthe conrtoller in a car?. maybe take it to a caravan or something, therell still be plugs there so theres no point in a battery. its possibe there could be but think prctically and its a no no.

Maybe you could charge the Revolution and play without powersource.. that would be.. em.. cool?

this isnt far wrong. a friend of a friend of mine worked at Nintendo... and yeah. i believe that the system is completely portable, in terms of:

-AV cables (nothing new. go to electronics shop for this)

-power supply. i believe that it gets charged at a docking station of sorts.

i mean hell, the battery thing isnt a problem. if it starts to get low, just wack it on the docking station! if you dont want a battery chargeable revo, just leave it on the station 24/7...

if its all COMPLETELY wireless (nintendo have claimed its a wireless system), you could totally just put the system ANYWHERE in the room. it wouldnt matter if it stood up or layed down. asthetics really.

well i think its a pretty neat idea myself! It will just stay in either my living room or my bedroom. Its not like I will take it to the park or anything. And I dont think its essenial because in the mag it says it "also" acts as a powersupply to the revolution. So I dont think it really matters whether you use it as one or not.

Anyone know anything about bandwidth? I'm betting the Revolution will use 802.11b?

There is no-way Nintendo will be using wireless image transfer at a suitable playable rate.

The idea that the console will sit on your coffee table is preposterous.

The idea of a battery is lame, confusing and complicated.

It will be plugged into a SD television, or computer model horizontally or vertically, the stand is merely decorative to ensure the system is stable and not scratched or at risk of any spillages.

The internet and controller will be wireless, nothing else.. there is no future expansion of wireless video streaming.

Oh sorry, what am I saying? The magazine says so... it must be true

It makes no sense to put up production costs by $10 for a battery for the 1% of people who will attempt to see if it works in the car and end up sueing Nintendo claiming the controller breaks noses when you accidentally plunge it into the face of the person sitting next to you.

well at the minute i like DCK's idea that it could be used either way, and raven your idea is cool but unfortunately i can't see it happening :( boohoo, i love it tho!

and yes, i WILL believe it if it is in the official magazine until nintendo say otherwise. after all, the current pictures are of mock-ups that don't need to look as if they could be a transformer, this can change when functionality is added to the next mock-up or even the finished product. as it stands, nintendo themselves are saying this, they could change their mind however, but this is the latest news as far as i am concerned.

Just because it says Nintendo official magazine doesn't mean anyone from Nintendo works at future.

In fact they probably have 1 legal person who came over when the office got set up to explain what and what not they can say in the magazine.. though this communication could have been done by formal letter.

You forgot that magazine reporters are arrogant twats just out of university and think they know everything. Many of the staff probably don't even like Nintendo.. it's just their job remember.

They're probably waiting until they can get a job at a national newspaper.

ok so i don't personally know any journalists for games magazines, but where do you get off calling them that?! that was just uncalled for!!

with the pedigree that is working on the magazine with years of experience, proven nintendo track record in them all, and with them having (and i quote) unprecedented access to nintendo, why not just take their word for it for now? you're basing your argument on the mock-up you have seen, it is only a mock-up! look how the ds changed over its design process, and the revo could be the same, they knocked together what they have at the minute, the stand could change to be made of something else, be thicker at the rear, anything!

please, i don't want to argue, i come here to relax, all i'm saying is that the design you are basing your argument on was only for display purposes and to give us an idea of how the stand will look. yes that could change, or it might not, but at the minute all we can do is wait for e3.

I'm basing my argument on electrical engineering principles and the patent that was filed of the Revolution console.

I've e.mailed Nintendo's PR department over it to clear it up once and for all.

Will post up their response asap.

Power Supply = Stand. Never seen that before. At least it shows someone cares about the aesthetics of the console. Much better looking and efficient than a big power brick for a certain console.

I'm basing my argument on electrical engineering principles and the patent that was filed of the Revolution console.

I've e.mailed Nintendo's PR department over it to clear it up once and for all.

Will post up their response asap.

unfortunately i can't see ninty replying, with how secretive they're rightly being over the console. we may just have to wait. personally, i'd like the stand to change a little so it can house the transformer instead of having a brick like the xbox 360. but on the other hand, the cube's transformer is small enough to hide and i can't see the revo's being any bigger, so if it ends up as just a stand i'll be happy enough too as that's defo how i'm gonna display my revolution :)

Well I told them I was representing a highly respectable video games news source. *cough*

Of course they will reply.. I worded it as if this magazine had caused mass unnecesary confusion amongst the gaming community.

but if they're not allowed to say anything they won't go beyond some form of "no comment". be patient my friend... :) they'll reveal all, and either way i don't mind if it is just a stand or not.

People who want to display it horizontally will.

Which will probably be about half the owners of the console, if not more because that's how most electronics in the house are.

When you say power suply, what is meant, of course a battery couldn't go in there, but it seems likaly that it would act as a docking station to keep it powered, and maybe even conected, maybe on the final version of the stand both: the power and tv input will go to the stand, so the console can remain wire-free, it's not that far fetched, lots of electronical iteams use much small docking stations, and maybe it can also exept plugs in the back, to work like any other console would.

Sign in to follow this