NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mario vs. Donkey Kong (16th February 2024)

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Still not confident it's gonna be a decent length. I'm already halfway through the post game worlds. Pretty sure the DS/3DS games are longer than this.

They are longer than the original MvsDK.  If anything, those games are too long though; they wear out their welcome well before they end, and their stages are just far too long to sustain interest for their full length.  I always end up tapping out well before they end.

I've never really wanted MvsDK to go on much longer though, always felt like the right length to me.  Satisfying :)

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

They are longer than the original MvsDK.  If anything, those games are too long though; they wear out their welcome well before they end, and their stages are just far too long to sustain interest for their full length.  I always end up tapping out well before they end.

I've never really wanted MvsDK to go on much longer though, always felt like the right length to me.  Satisfying :)

I definitely prefer the later games. As I mentioned, the puzzle aspect in this game is far too simple whereas some of the stages in the later games really make you think and keep you on your toes with timings and juggling multiple things. This feels far too basic in comparison.

22 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I definitely prefer the later games. As I mentioned, the puzzle aspect in this game is far too simple whereas some of the stages in the later games really make you think and keep you on your toes with timings and juggling multiple things. This feels far too basic in comparison.

Looks like Argos price-matched Curry's, then. And you fell for it. I did say this is a game you can cruise through on autopilot! 

I skipped the sequels because, between the likes of Krusty's Fun House and Lemmings, I felt I was covered. And it bugged me they appeared to be phoning it in with the minis rather than going for more of a direct DK94 follow-up. There was and is room for both. 

Nice NSO icons at least.

30 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I did say this is a game you can cruise through on autopilot! 

Pretty much.

I finished the 8 plus worlds this morning and it was the same experience as the original 8 worlds. In fact, I'd argue some levels are easier and quicker in the plus worlds than they are in the original ones.

Spoiler

GGmxqAhaEAAByDd?format=jpg&name=large

GGmxqAhbMAA39-c?format=jpg&name=large

GGmxqA2agAAnBiA?format=jpg&name=large

GGmxqA0akAAgkar?format=jpg&name=large

Just the 16 extra levels to do now. I'm gonna assume the silver medal will turn gold once those are done.

All done.

GGnWnv0bIAA3Two?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, disappointing when compared to the later entries which I very much enjoyed. Certainly the weakest of the entries that I have played. The combo of short length and no challenge really kills it for me.

Still, the presentation is top notch and the game is certainly very polished. It would be a good entry point for someone new to the series but for those who've mastered the later games, this will offer next to no push back.

• Like 1

The responses above are most disappointing. I was expecting more of a challenge to come from this game but y'all been breezing through it. To be honest the demo didn't fill me with much optimism, as it was just the tutorial instead of more challenging gameplay to whet the appetite.

I think I'll wait until it's under £30 before consideration. 

Nintendo, stop fucking about and make Captain Toad 2.

1 minute ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

The responses above are most disappointing. I was expecting more of a challenge to come from this game but y'all been breezing through it. To be honest the demo didn't fill me with much optimism, as it was just the tutorial instead of more challenging gameplay to whet the appetite.

Nintendo, stop fucking about and make Captain Toad 2.

This.

Also, it appears this game has been made even easier than the original. Someone on Era took images of a couple of stages that showed changes had been made that took away some of the challenge. 

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Play whatever else you have in the meantime (Baiton Kaitos Origins when?) and see if this makes it onto the GBA NSO.

5 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Play whatever else you have in the meantime (Baiton Kaitos Origins when?) and see if this makes it onto the GBA NSO.

I'm not in any rush, I do still need to play Baten Kaitos Origins though!

I've got some of the DS Mario v Donkey Kong games if I'm need dire need of playage

On 19/02/2024 at 11:34 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Also, it appears this game has been made even easier than the original. Someone on Era took images of a couple of stages that showed changes had been made that took away some of the challenge. 

Oh no, that's a deal-breaker for me.

I thought they would've left the levels untouched, especially as they added an easier difficulty mode.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh no, that's a deal-breaker for me.

I thought they would've left the levels untouched, especially as they added an easier difficulty mode.

Are we sure that those screenshots weren’t taken from the easy mode? Because I thought the point of having the two different modes was to offer the original levels untouched while also including easier dumbed down versions?

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Are we sure that those screenshots weren’t taken from the easy mode? Because I thought the point of having the two different modes was to offer the original levels untouched while also including easier dumbed down versions?

Nah. Looks like it was from the Classic mode difficulty option. Extra platforms and a ladder was added.

• Thanks 1

The Switch version does add a casual mode, which removes the time limit for completing each stage, adds checkpoints and makes it much harder for Mario to lose lives, but on classic mode plays much the same as the original. There are also two extra worlds to explore - Merry Mini-Land and the Slippery Summit, each with Plus counterparts - that provide a bit more of a challenge for experienced players. There's also two-player co-op, which sees player two playing as Toad and collecting an extra key to progress.

In terms of presentation, the game doesn't push any technical boundaries, but it realises the intended look at full resolution - 1080p docked or 720p handheld - and at a flawless 60fps. Similarly, there's no anti-aliasing but at 1080p it's not an egregious omission.

Sign in to follow this