NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Red Dead Redemption

Very short notice, but there ya go!

Coming to Switch, PS4 and... wait... that's it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Ooooh I've been thinking about this and wondering where it was. Best be a decent price

It's $49.99 in the US (So probably £39.99 here in Blighty).

Interestingly, the port has been done by Double Eleven, a studio founded by ex Rockstar staff in 2009.  Guess they've finally come full circle!

For how long this has been rumoured, man, what a letdown of a remaster. Played through it on PS3 a couple of years back and is perfectly playable - even with a bunch of screen tearing and frame rate drops - to just enjoy the story. It's a terrific game by all means, but this is such a lazy remaster. Then again, after the mess Rockstar made of remastering the GTA Trilogy, maybe this is something of a blessing. 

@Dcubed I was confused about it not being available on Xbox too at first, but seeing as it's just a straight remaster and the game is already available on Xbox through backwards compatibility (I believe it ran at 4K 30 fps on the One X? Don't think it's been touched since then, and it doesn't really need to be), I imagine that would be why. There's simply nothing new or differently here to make it need a new release on those consoles, whereas that's not an option on the PS4 or Switch. 

Unfortunately, yeah, this is a letdown for very obvious reasons if you've played the sequel. 

Spoiler

The entirety of Red Dead Redemption's map became available in Red Dead Redemption II's epilogue. It was pretty barren, with virtually nothing to do, but it was there, and it made many think that a Red Dead Redemption remake/remaster at the fidelity of II could be on the way. 

Disappointing.

I'll probably pick it up on sale at some point if I ever need to scratch that itch again or finally check out Undead Nightmare, but otherwise, Rockstar just seem to be biding time until the GTA VI hype train is ready to start rolling ::shrug:

@Julius Doesn't explain the lack of a PC or PS5 port though.  Bit odd really.  Makes me wonder if Nintendo commissioned the port and then the PS4 version was just a bit of a gimme.

Anyway.  Either way, it's nice to see Rockstar's previously anti-Nintendo stance continue to crumble.  Really does seem like Dan Houser was always the main blocking factor, given that Rockstar's Nintendo support really started after he was forced out of the company.  Bodes well for future Nintendo console support from them :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

@Julius Doesn't explain the lack of a PC or PS5 port though.  Bit odd really.  Makes me wonder if Nintendo commissioned the port and then the PS4 version was just a bit of a gimme.

I mean, I'd argue that Xbox is a bigger miss then either of those when it comes to simply listing platforms a game is available on, so I was explaining that :p

As for the others?

The original game never came to PC, so whatever supposed (I would imagine technical) blocker was in place there seems to still be in place here, which makes perfect sense to me with how it's just a straight port. I imagine it's got to be something like that seeing as the GTA Trilogy Definitive Editions made their way over to PC. I do also wonder a little if it coming to the Switch and the Steam Deck being a thing made Nintendo speak up about not wanting it available there by any means (and thus Rockstar have just skipped PC altogether), sure their sales numbers aren't a drop in the ocean compared to the Switch, but it'd be such a Nintendo move to be that petty. All total conjecture on my part, of course. 

The PS5 not getting a straight native port makes perfect sense in the context that the PS5 (generally) runs PS4 games at boosted performance in line with the PS4 Pro, and with the game playable via BC on the One X and onwards for Xbox, I imagine that's more than enough horsepower to match the 4K30 it gets there. If 4K30 is as far as this goes then there's simply no reason to offer a native PS5 version with the console being backwards compatible for PS4 titles, but if it's sub-4K on PlayStation (which I guess it would be on a base PS4 by default, probably just matching whatever it's going to be at on Switch when docked) and doesn't match the performance on Xbox? Then yeah, I'll have questions too. 

That price is daft and the lack of multiplayer seems par for the course with these Rockstar re-releases. 

Edited by Julius

reddeadredemptionswitchbanner.620x0.webp

Red Dead Redemption is coming to the Nintendo Switch

Now up on the main page.

Overview and trailer.

- - - - -

• Like 2

Seems like a pretty minimal port, I played it on PS3 several years ago but never got round to playing Undead Nightmare so might get this eventually to play that (if it goes on sale) 

Just hope it runs better than the GTA Trilogy, I wrapped that up recently by playing San Andreas and it's still pretty rough

Edited by killthenet

Per PSU, the listing on the PS Store does confirm that the game is indeed PS4 Pro enhanced as previously speculated:

RedDeadPSStore-768x434.jpg

The PlayStation Store listing for Red Dead Redemption on PS4 confirms Rockstar Games' cowboy epic will be enhanced for PS4 Pro. Crucially, this means that 4K support is very likely for PlayStation owners as the Xbox One X version of Red Dead Redemption supports 4K. Fingers crossed!

Digital Foundry's thoughts on the PS4 version of the game are up, too (with thoughts on the Switch version in the works):

Yep, bare minimum effort as expected since the announcement...but it doesn't make this game any less worth playing. 

I watched a brief analysis of the Switch version and it at least seems to be a competent port - running at 1080p docked and 720p handheld at a constant 30fps - so it isn't the shitshow that we feared after the GTA trilogy debacle

Digital Foundry's take on the Switch version of the game:

Rockstar's wild west classic comes to Nintendo Switch in what's a surprisingly robust release all round. We get a native 1080p rendition of the game at 30 frames per second while docked. Which, as it turns out, puts it in league with the base PS4 version - though with a few cutbacks in its visuals elsewhere. Tom runs through the high and low points.

Sign in to follow this