NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Planned Purchases for the rest of 2023

We're now over half way through the year and have a pretty good sense of what will be out, although we'll likely get a few more surprises, so what do you plan to pick up? Feel free to include recently released stuff that you've not yet got.

I will probably get Pikmin 4 at some point. The excessive hand holding in the demo did annoy me, but the core loop is good and I would assume the non-stop dialogue would eventually die out. 

Will probably get Super Mario RPG too (but maybe ask for it for Christmas) because I have dabbled in the original years ago through means but I'd like to play it properly, I think in part because it was denied to us for so long. 

And in terms of stuff already out*, Ghost Trick, Advance Wars and play through the Mario and Rabbids DLC. When exactly I'm not sure as I don't game much now but by the by. 

*Yes technically Pikmin 4 is "already out" as of today

• Thanks 1

As far as games I plan on getting on release, there are currently 3.

Vampire Survivors is a game I've been dying to see a Switch port of ever since I first played it, so I'm all in on that next month. Maybe this version will finally be the moment when we find an actual vampire? Not ghosts, though. There's never been ghosts in this game. Ghosts don't exist.

The thread title refers to "Planned Purchases", but well, the other two are games I've already paid for, courtesy of that 2 game voucher scheme NSO offers. I used both of them on Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Super Mario RPG. 2D Mario hasn't steered me wrong yet. They're good at worst, and I doubt that kind of Mario is going to suddenly be open-world and boring, so safe bet there. And Mario RPG is, well, Mario RPG. Love that game. Very intrigued to see how they handle certain aspects of it. And maybe Mallow and Geno will be useful and not just benched as soon as you get Bowser and Peach?

The rest are various games that have been added to my "I'll wait for a decent sale, because I have a backlog, and don't need to play these immediately" wishlist. Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection is 30% off, so I snapped that up, which means I now have every Wonder Boy game on my Switch.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Pikmin 4 arrived today but I'm busy with Metroid Prime Remastered so I'm not sure when I'll get to it 😅

Tears of the Kingdom can continue to rot on my shelf along with Advance Wars until I'm feeling the desire to return to the relative tedium 😐

For the rear of the year, I have the following games on my radar:

Ghost Trick

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Wario Ware: Move it!

I may also pick up EA FC 24 if the improvements over FIFA 19-23 are substantial enough give the move to Frostbite and, though I'm not really in need of adding any more RPGs to my life ever again, Super Mario RPG might sneak into my collection.

EDIT I'm gonna let the spelling error slide..

Edited by nekunando
  • Thanks 1

Dragon Quest Monsters, without a doubt - cannot wait for that one.  Almost certainly Sea of Stars (the demo was good).  And I hope MythForce turns out to be as good as it looks, because the art style is perfection.

I'm also on the lookout to pick up Chained Echoes, Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection, Final Fantasy Pixel RemastersWonder Boy Anniversary Collection and possibly Double Dragon: Rise of the Dragons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Dragon Quest Monsters, without a doubt - cannot wait for that one.

Oh snap, that's this year!? Add that to my list.

Chained Echoes is on my wishlist I mentioned.
Consider taking the plunge on Wonder Boy Collection at 30% off. That developer isn't known for deep discounts, so you might be waiting a while otherwise.

(Make sure you get the pricier 6-game, 21 version one, it's Wonder Boy, so even the collection is bloody confusing!)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh snap, that's this year!? Add that to my list.

Yep, 1st December for USA and Europe!

Consider taking the plunge on Wonder Boy Collection at 30% off. That developer isn't known for deep discounts, so you might be waiting a while otherwise.

(Make sure you get the pricier 6-game, 21 version one, it's Wonder Boy, so even the collection is bloody confusing!)

Cheers.  It complicates matters for me that I only really want the two Mega Drive games - Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV.  Combined with the Lizardcube version of Dragon's Trap, I think you have the best three there.  On that basis I should probably just get the 2022 release (Wonder Boy Collection), but it's psychological, isn't it?  You don't want to get the lesser version.

Edited by Grazza

Just now, Grazza said:

Cheers.  It complicates matters for me that I only really want the two Mega Drive games - Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV.  Combined with the Lizardcube version of Dragon's Trap, I think you have the best three there.  On that basis I should probably just get the 2022 release (Wonder Boy Collection), but it's psychological, isn't it?  You don't want to get the lesser version.

Yeah, the Dragon's Trap remake complicates things a little. Because it really is the best version of that game. If that didn't exist, the anniversary collection would be the obvious choice.

Another thing to consider is that the in-game gallery is quite in-depth, with concept art, box art, and instruction manuals. Getting the one that has less versions will mean that you get a lesser gallery as well. If that kind of historic thing is your kind of thing, then it's something to keep in mind.

• Thanks 1

I don't know when I'm going to get around to playing games again, but when I do, these are what I plan to buy:

Tears of the Kingdom - enjoyed the first one, quite looking forward to playing the second, but expecting quite a time sink. The first was quite a good pick-up-and-play game though, so as soon as I start getting some more free time, this will be first on my Switch list.

Spider-Man 2 - Cannot wait to play this. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS5, but this is the game that will get me to buy one. The whole thing just looks fantastic.

Telltales The Expanse - I know Telltales output fell off a cliff somewhat, but I'm hoping this offering will be good. The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made, so I'm hoping this game will tie in nicely and be something nice to play in the evening. I'm hoping to get my wife involved, since she loved The Expanse, and a choose your adventure style game might be sitting she would enjoy playing together.

52 minutes ago, bob said:

Spider-Man 2 - Cannot wait to play this. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS5, but this is the game that will get me to buy one. The whole thing just looks fantastic.

Is that similar to the GameCube/PS2 game of the same name?  That was excellent, by far the best open world game I've ever played.

Is that similar to the GameCube/PS2 game of the same name?  That was excellent, by far the best open world game I've ever played.
Spider-Man 2 for the GameCube was indeed excellent. However, that was named after the film Spider-Man 2, whilst this latest one is so-called because it is the sequel to the PS4 game Spider-Man, and not related to any film.

It's all gone a bit confusing really. Especially because the first game was known as Spider-Man PS4, so this one should really be Spider-Man PS4 2, or Spider-Man PS5, but it is neither of those.
  • Thanks 1

Still, swinging around New York and climbing up the buildings just works really well.  I'm always up for trying a new Spider-Man game.

5 hours ago, bob said:

It's all gone a bit confusing really. Especially because the first game was known as Spider-Man PS4, so this one should really be Spider-Man PS4 2, or Spider-Man PS5, but it is neither of those.

I think that's why they made the title of this and the first PS4 game as "Marvel's Spider-Man"

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I think that's why they made the title of this and the first PS4 game as "Marvel's Spider-Man"

Even though it’s actually Insomniac’s Spider-Man… Does that mean that the title should really be “Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man”?

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this