NEurope
Ashley

Princess Peach Showtime (March 22 2024)

All collectables nabbed, final boss defeated and credits rolled.

Spoiler

GJYzjcJa8AAlQav?format=jpg&name=large

GJYzjcaakAA0h9w?format=jpg&name=large

GJYzjcYa0AA9XEm?format=jpg&name=large

GJYzjcaa0AAM8om?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6s-bkAAJQy_?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6tVaQAAp0bS?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6tTaoAA5rw0?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6s3bQAAuDSG?format=jpg&name=large

The game did eventually win me over. It's still nothing spectacular and it's definitely the weakest game I've played from Good-Feel, but it was enjoyable enough. I think my biggest issue is how slow everything is. Not being able to skip text forward really makes things drag, especially when replaying stages. The cynical side of me wonders if this was done to lengthen a short game. 

Some of the transformations are pretty poor. The detective and mermaid sections were my least favourite and really dragged but the kung fu and mighty sections were great. Its no surprise that my two favs are more/platforming based.

It's a shame that this isn't the sequel to Super Princess Peach I was looking for. It has some good ideas but not enough to make a really outstanding game. Also, I'm a little confused by the difficulty of the game. It's insulting easy and any seasoned gamer will breeze through it. What confuses me is that Nintendo games usually do a good job of balancing fun and difficulty, so why they decided to scrap that and just have a game created that dumbs everything down is a little weird.

Looks like there is plenty of post-game content to enjoy. Boss challenges, more goodies to buy in the shops and a hide and seek type challenge. I'll tackle these tomorrow and see how I get on with them all.

I tell you what, given how she's handled herself in this game, there's zero excuse for her getting kidnapped off Bowser anymore. :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ending Pics (Hide contents)

*Laughs in immaturity*

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ending Pics (Reveal hidden contents)

GJYzjcaakAA0h9w?format=jpg&name=large

GJYzjcYa0AA9XEm?format=jpg&name=large

GJYzjcaa0AAM8om?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6s-bkAAJQy_?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6tVaQAAp0bS?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6tTaoAA5rw0?format=jpg&name=large

GJYz6s3bQAAuDSG?format=jpg&name=large

The game did eventually win me over. It's still nothing spectacular and it's definitely the weakest game I've played from Good-Feel, but it was enjoyable enough. I think my biggest issue is how slow everything is. Not being able to skip text forward really makes things drag, especially when replaying stages. The cynical side of me wonders if this was done to lengthen a short game. 

Some of the transformations are pretty poor. The detective and mermaid sections were my least favourite and really dragged but the kung fu and mighty sections were great. Its no surprise that my two favs are more/platforming based.

It's a shame that this isn't the sequel to Super Princess Peach I was looking for. It has some good ideas but not enough to make a really outstanding game. Also, I'm a little confused by the difficulty of the game. It's insulting easy and any seasoned gamer will breeze through it. What confuses me is that Nintendo games usually do a good job of balancing fun and difficulty, so why they decided to scrap that and just have a game created that dumbs everything down is a little weird.

Looks like there is plenty of post-game content to enjoy. Boss challenges, more goodies to buy in the shops and a hide and seek type challenge. I'll tackle these tomorrow and see how I get on with them all.

I tell you what, given how she's handled herself in this game, there's zero excuse for her getting kidnapped off Bowser anymore. :D

Glad you enjoyed it for the most part! I’m still pretty early into it but played one of the detective stages last night and really didn’t enjoy it. 
so far I think my fave was the ninja but I haven’t done all of them yet. 

• Like 1

100% completion achieved.

Spoiler

GJcxYITaUAAX40s?format=jpg&name=large

GJcy8K7agAAvWzk?format=jpg&name=large

GJcxYIfaIAA6Zns?format=jpg&name=large

GJcxYISakAAXyCa?format=jpg&name=large

GJcxYIObcAARa9q?format=jpg&name=large

GJcy8KWawAADs1g?format=jpg&name=large

GJcy8KSaMAAHfZe?format=jpg&name=large

GJcy8KVbgAACPl5?format=jpg&name=large

You have to fully play through the game twice in order to unlock everything. This being the case, if you are going for 100% completion and miss a collectable on your first way through, just leave it for the post game clean up. Wish I had known about it as it would have saved me some time.

I happen to come across this animation when going down the stairs.

Love it. :D

Some of the post game stuff was quite fun. Doing the challenges on the boss fights wasn't really difficult but it gave me something extra to do. The Rehersal challenges and trying to get a gold ranking on them were also a nice little distraction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How are you getting on with the game, @Aneres11?

Typically not had huge amounts of time to play unfortunately. What with a new puppy an all :bouncy: so it’s been a challenge in between work and tennis and doggos. 
Couldn’t play last night. I’ve decided I hate the detective sections. Not for me. Also did a mermaid one and didn’t like that either. 
I normally have a free evening on Tuesdays and could have put more time in but it’s my sisters birthday, so busy again! Hopefully I’ll get a bit of time in bed to play some more! 

1 minute ago, Aneres11 said:

I’ve decided I hate the detective sections. Not for me. Also did a mermaid one and didn’t like that either. 

Yeah, these are easily the weakest costumes in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Hopefully I’ll get a bit of time in bed to play some more! 

hi-mr-bean-eyebrows-raise-qkq8fyl1oqm0ku

• Haha 2

Dug out my copy of Super Princess Peach and have decided to play through it.

GJsvUI3WoAAcPkl?format=jpg&name=large

Honestly can't remember the last time I played it. I remember very little about it other than I loved it. Time to wipe the slate clean and start a new save file.

GJsukeFWcAE-0FR?format=jpg&name=large

GJsukd1W4AAnCAx?format=jpg&name=large

Crazy that it's nearly 20 years old now! :eek:

Anyway, I've played through the first 2 worlds this evening and its been great.

GJtQHiJWsAA79S4?format=jpg&name=large

GJtQHiQXEAAHl26?format=jpg&name=large

It feels so weird going from Princess Peach: Showtime! to this. Showtime is very slow and clunky but this feels super smooth and fast. It actually feels like a Nintendo game. I had a look at who made it and came across this.

Tose Co., Ltd.[a] (TYO: 4728) (also called Tose Software) is a Japanese video game development company based in Kyoto. It is mostly known for developing Nintendo's Game & Watch Gallery series, various Dragon Ball games, as well as other Nintendo products. Tose has developed or co-developed over 1,000 games since the company's inception in 1979, but is virtually never credited in the games themselves (an exception to this is Scarlet Nexus with Namco, Game & Watch Gallery 4 and The Legendary Starfy series, as Tose shares the copyright with Nintendo).Tose maintains a policy of having no creative input into the work they do, going so far as to refuse to put their names in the credits for most of the games they work on. As such, Tose has gained a reputation for being a "ghost developer".

They've had their hand in a stupid amount of games. Seriously impressive. Makes sense that they made The Legendary Starfy (awesome game). Super Princess Peach shares a similar visual style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Finished this last night and overall I was pleasantly surprised with the game. From the impressions a few weeks ago I assumed it was going to be absurdly easy but there was actually more challenge than I expected, it still wasn't difficult by any means but it wasn't as breezy as I'd been led to believe. The different costumes add a lot of variety to the gameplay and I can imagine Peach's moveset in the next Smash game is going to be hugely expanded based on the abilities she has here. Some of the costumes are a real joy, the Ninjitsu and Phantom Thief especially giving Peach more satisfying movement options, but I really didn't get on with the Baker or (to a lesser extent) the Detective. At times Showtime weirdly reminded me of Bayonetta 3 and Cereza & the Lost Demon - it has such a stylish and smooth presentation at times, even if there are one or two technical issues. There is definitely a lot of potential left in the basic concept of Showtime too so it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes an ongoing series, it's about time Peach had her own continuing franchise. 

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

The different costumes add a lot of variety to the gameplay and I can imagine Peach's moveset in the next Smash game is going to be hugely expanded based on the abilities she has here.

I've made a few jokes about how Showtime is just one glorified audition reel to get her Smash moveset changed so she doesn't have to share it with that parasite Daisy.

Spoiler

It even ends with Super Radiant Peach. Or as I like to call it, "Obvious Final Smash".

• Haha 1

Put some more time into Super Princess Peach and have made it to world 6.

GJxo6tnXQAAhg63?format=jpg&name=large

GJxo6tkWgAAY77j?format=jpg&name=large

GJxo6tmXYAE19qU?format=jpg&name=large

I'm loving all the little mini games and sections that you get to play that take advantage of the capabilities of the DS. The touch screen is put to good use for things like catapulting Peach by dragging the platform down and firing it up. Blowing into the microphone to fire bubbles from her submarine is awesome. :D

I bought a power up in the shop that gives me the ability to gain coins by whacking enemies with Perry. I found a decent spot in 5-2 to farm coins and so hung around there for a while as there are quite a lot of things to purchase.

Yup, still loving the game. Sooooo much better and polished than Showtime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hero-of-Time I love that you’ve dipped back into SPP! 
I have hardly touched Showtime this week as just not had time but with the BH weekend now upon us, I’d like to try and get through it! 
SPP is such a gem. One of my fave DS games ever. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

@Hero-of-Time I love that you’ve dipped back into SPP! 
I have hardly touched Showtime this week as just not had time but with the BH weekend now upon us, I’d like to try and get through it! 
SPP is such a gem. One of my fave DS games ever. 

I've had a great time with it and finished it off this morning.

GJ1jDVsXkAEQaxM?format=jpg&name=large

GJ1iw1BWYAAvG2u?format=jpg&name=large

GJ1iujYXEAAiM8F?format=jpg&name=large

GJ1iujVXQAEq5xM?format=jpg&name=large

:heart::bowdown::heart:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Nintendo can copyright the scenario "princess has emotions". 

• Haha 2

I always thought Super Princess Peach was kinda middling.

Anyway, cleaning up the last of the collectibles. Agreed with the consensus that Detective is the weakest Peach. It's fine the first time, but repeat playthroughs lose all of the impact when you already know what to point at.

I agree with @Glen-i, I played through Super Princess Peach for the first time a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it. It's a pleasant enough platformer but there is a lot of busy work. I think the recent GVG gaming video about it was presented in an overly harsh way but I agree with him that it feels very frustrating to reach the final boss and be told you need to collect all the toads before you can take him on. Felt like an imposition to have to go back through all the other levels to find the ones that I'd missed, I definitely enjoyed Showtime more out of the two

22 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I agree with @Glen-i, I played through Super Princess Peach for the first time a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it. It's a pleasant enough platformer but there is a lot of busy work. I think the recent GVG gaming video about it was presented in an overly harsh way but I agree with him that it feels very frustrating to reach the final boss and be told you need to collect all the toads before you can take him on. Felt like an imposition to have to go back through all the other levels to find the ones that I'd missed, I definitely enjoyed Showtime more out of the two

I never even knew this was a thing. I tend to go for all collectables no matter the game and so I guess I never hit this wall.

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I never even knew this was a thing. I tend to go for all collectables no matter the game and so I guess I never hit this wall.

It wouldn't have been that annoying if they had made it clear early on that finding all the Toads was required, at least then I would have known to seek them out a bit more than I had been

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

It wouldn't have been that annoying if they had made it clear early on that finding all the Toads was required, at least then I would have known to seek them out a bit more than I had been

Yeah, this is my biggest gripe about it. I like a good collectible, but mandating that you need all of them, and only revealing that you need all of them right before the finale is a terrible way to go about it.

7 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Whew. My ignore list has just grown a bit. 
:angry::grin:

Don't worry, I still love it and continue to play through it.

I was tackling post game stuff yesterday evening and whilst filling in the enemy glossary I came across Starfy!

GJ5mxnMXkAAkDGW?format=jpg&name=large

Bit of a pain to get him though. His appearance is random and you have to track him down in 3 different stages. Only then will he be added to the glossary.

Like Showtime, you have to finish the game for a second time in order to unlock everything. I've done the first 3 worlds so far.

GJ5mxnFW8AAPk0P?format=jpg&name=large

I like that the bosses are a little harder and there are 3 extra levels per world to complete. Keeps things fresh and mixes things up a bit.

• Like 1