N-Europe

Baten Kaitos I&II HD Remaster (14th September 2023)

Julius

On 08/04/2024 at 11:23 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

Refined my anus, it lets you know who is going next, and you can discard from your hand mid battle, but the moment where you can actually select cards remains a mystery.

The missus didn't bother buying Peach Showtime, and I completed Jedi Fallen Order, so I decided to fire it up 😎

How's your progress? You should be well into it by now.

Just now, darksnowman said:

How's your progress? You should be well into it by now.

I've not even touched it since, I've been meaning to look on the YouTube for some explanation videos, but the new job doesn't let you use the internet too much, so I haven't had much opportunity

1 minute ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I've not even touched it since, I've been meaning to look on the YouTube for some explanation videos, but the new job doesn't let you use the internet too much, so I haven't had much opportunity

You backed down on your stipulation you'd need to dedicate company time to Baten Kaitos??

9 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

You backed down on your stipulation you'd need to dedicate company time to Baten Kaitos??

The NHS were much more lenient. Current job puts stuff like this under "IT abuse" and consider it gross misconduct

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,  @EEVILMURRAY, for these first battles, I've just picked cards as they came up and won... long may it continue. Instinctively, I tried to put combos together and went for "counters"—I'm sure you did this too—but the timing isn't the same as the first game so a tutorial would indeed be welcome. Maybe one is coming, maybe there is something in the menus. I've tried to look at everything on screen during battles and it seems like whatever card you picked with defensive capabilities will go in that EQ slot at the top. But I don't see the rhyme or reason to it yet. Don't know what the wee yellow bar is supposed to tell me.

From the intro video to the battle voice (FIGHT! YOU WIN!), it looks like they cheaped out on Origins. At least you get a whopping eight blank magnus to start off with! This Guillo paramachina is a weirdo that is going to need some quality characterisation. Wonder if this Valara lady will be one of us or if she's just an antagonist.

Chipping away at Origins. Very early doors. I've shirked nothing to try to get a feel for what's going on in battle. There were two bits (close together) where grunts kept running out of a door so I stood and engaged with them all until the game told me enough was enough. Nothing posed a problem and you get healed up after every battle—don't know if this is just how it is in the early going, or if it'll be like this the whole way. Seems like you just have to go for 0-4 (ascending) combos; if you start on a 3, say, and your next card is a 2, 1 or 0, it'll be greyed out. A 0 card will serve as your defence. I'm just tapping the button because I don't no what beep or boop means my turn is coming up yet. You level up on the spot but the church is still there to class up. As yet, I've only encountered one blue flower. If you run towards the screen in the church it will say you need a ship to go that way... interesting.

You're in Mintaka pretty quickly where you'll see some familiar characters. There's a kid that'll offer to trade cards with you but nothing I had was selectable so it must be something to come back to. It seems the shop owners look different here in the past and will allow you to upgrade some cards if you're carrying the necessary essence on a blank magnus—that's new!

Then our old mate, Jack the Knife, came back to attack. It took me five goes to get past him. The cards were against Saggy and his Fusion Suit Samus paramachina, Jack did not hold back. The butterfly girl who joins for that battle took the brunt of it but she wasn't invincible. If that was to check how well I know the battle system, it has shown I still haven't much of a clue at all. :D If you can figure out how to get relay combos going it looks like that'll be how to deal massive damage.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm approaching twenty hours now in Origins. A recent development was that we've accepted to go and save the world. It's a strange game. I'm liking it well enough but I'm not fully in tune with the flow of it. I go around and check everything and there's still been about half a dozen times it's taken me a few laps of a place to find the trigger point to progress. It could be a person. It could be a table. It could be a guard that's fallen asleep so you can take a new exit. It could be talk to everyone in town then try to leave and the next thing will happen. Just lately I thought it was about to happen again then someone (from the first game!) said "sleep on it" so I checked the bed and that did the trick. Then came an investigation to identify the Mourning Mistral—kept reading it as the Morning Minstrel—which gave me the run around too, talking to people and going back to talk to them again, and again. Always feel like I'm missing something in these parts (as well as the finer points of the battle system).

It's light on action. In a way that's fine because, similar to BK 1, you get a few screens here and there with enemies and since battles can take 2-3 minutes each, it's not so bad because you know it won't be a massive slog until the next bit of downtime breaks it up. And like I mentioned before, you get healed up after every encounter so you're always good to go again. Just seems like the balance is weighted massively in favour of towns and talking. There's a coliseum which was nice to rattle off some battling—to a good tune, might I add—but it won't let me progress up the ranks so it seems I'm already done with it for now. It's a pity because I want a good run of battling as I feel like I'm still getting to grips with the system—I'm so fixated on quickly picking cards I rarely glance at the action itself.

I have sixteen blank magnus now. One of them contains... a mobile phone. Receiving an extra eight got a little irl fist pump out of me. I'm at the Lava Caves where I couldn't get past the first normal encounter so I copied my deck to a new slot and made some tweaks to include all the ice and water cards I have. Also put an ice aura on everyone. Made it manageable but the auras have run out and I've lost to the boss five or six times at least. Don't know if that's down to my levels, deck composition or a glaring lack of expertise with the battle system. Maybe if I keep retrying I'll get a run of cards that let me do damage quicker than I take it. Party levels are 15/16 so I'm averaging less than one an hour. Origins is praised for its battle system so it'd be nice if it let me get to it. I'm just not "seeing the Matrix" with these cards yet.

So, kind of just waiting for it to hit its stride. Feels like I'm still really early on despite the hour count. Think I had some dealings with Lyude's old man. I suppose my twenty hours could be someone else's five or six.