NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (28th April 2023)

The game on PS5 and Series X looks set to be 147 GB. 

Good lord.

Some are throwing out that maybe there's some crazy big video files in there, but for this game to seemingly come in nearly 60 GB larger than a game like Red Dead Redemption 2? Kind of blows my mind whatever the reason is. 

If Cal is customisable I can't imagine there's pre-rendered cutscenes, unless there's literally one for every variation which would account for the huge file size :laughing:

Can I just say it's really annoying this comes out just two weeks before Zelda. I'm playing the latter as soon as it comes out but I doubt I'll have 100%'d Survivor by then. Might have to wait till after I'm done with Zelda to play it :indeed:

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If Cal is customisable I can't imagine there's pre-rendered cutscenes, unless there's literally one for every variation which would account for the huge file size :laughing:

Right?! I can't remember anything major that was pre-rendered in Fallen Order, so unless I'm missing something, this just seems like a terrible job at (or complete lack of) optimisation for a next-gen only title and their first UE5 game (right?). Does make me wonder what the delay was about if it wasn't tied to optimising their assets though, and it'd be concerning if this was the best they felt they could do with it, but it is what it is ::shrug:

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Can I just say it's really annoying this comes out just two weeks before Zelda. I'm playing the latter as soon as it comes out but I doubt I'll have 100%'d Survivor by then. Might have to wait till after I'm done with Zelda to play it :indeed:

I'm in a weirdly similar spot to you, where on one hand I do think I could 100% it in that time...but I am also a bit worried about scope creep making this game substantially bigger than the first game just in terms of story length, not to mention all the side content. 

It's funny because I went back to Fallen Order last year to finally pop the Plat (had a couple of rooms on a few planets and one or two of the seeds to collect for the terrarium), then played the game on the lowest difficulty to breeze through the story and see how well it was paced without dealing with the side content, and in terms of enjoying the story, it was heaps and bounds better than my first playthrough. Makes sense, of course, because side content makes pacing a game's main story impossible (which is why games like BotW and Elden Ring rubbishing that, to an extent, in an open world feels so good), but I think that playthrough only took 6 or 7 hours?

So I might find myself just breezing through the story and not focusing on side content the first time with Survivor, before really exploring every nook and cranny the second time around, which means I won't need to rush to do before TotK but can instead chip away at it? But still avoid having the story spoiled...

...nah, who am I kidding, I'm 100% just going to try to do everything the first time :p

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Right?! I can't remember anything major that was pre-rendered in Fallen Order, so unless I'm missing something, this just seems like a terrible job at (or complete lack of) optimisation for a next-gen only title and their first UE5 game (right?). Does make me wonder what the delay was about if it wasn't tied to optimising their assets though, and it'd be concerning if this was the best they felt they could do with it, but it is what it is ::shrug:

I don't think Survivor is UE5, I think that's a common misconception. It's UE4 but new-gen only. I can't say I'm massively fussed about the big file size. Modern consoles can only hold a handful of big games anyway so I just delete an old one I'm finished with to make room.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

So I might find myself just breezing through the story and not focusing on side content the first time with Survivor, before really exploring every nook and cranny the second time around, which means I won't need to rush to do before TotK but can instead chip away at it? But still avoid having the story spoiled...

...nah, who am I kidding, I'm 100% just going to try to do everything the first time :p

That's a good idea but there's no way I wouldn't be tempted to veer off the beaten path. It sounds like there's lots of stuff to do if you look around. If this game was out three weeks before Zelda I'd probably go for it, but as it stands I'll prob just wait a couple months before playing.

Might play a pixel art game before Zelda instead so that the graphical jump will make TOTK look great (at first glance), as opposed to going from Survivor > Zelda :laughing:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't think Survivor is UE5, I think that's a common misconception. It's UE4 but new-gen only. I can't say I'm massively fussed about the big file size. Modern consoles can only hold a handful of big games anyway so I just delete an old one I'm finished with to make room.

Yeah, definitely a common misconception if I can Google it and get the wrong answer a bunch! – thanks for pointing that out.

I remember early talk about it being on UE5 and kind of just went with it, seems like they've since come out and discussed the potential of the next installment being on UE5. Makes perfect sense as UE5 definitely wouldn't have been development-ready when this game started development in late 2019/early 2020 (I don't think it was even released). 

I'm also not massively fussed, I love deleting games after completing them for the extra post-credits monkey lizard brain dopamine hit :D (though might need to go through some captures to make enough space for Survivor!)

It's more a case of me just questioning how the game has ended up that big when so many other substantially-sized games are substantially smaller in file size (again: RDR2 being 90-100 GB at launch and this being 150 GB is something I'm having a hard time reconciling in my head), but I'm sure playing the game itself might answer some of those questions...maybe? :p 

Just give me an hour-long post-credits scene of Chopper randomly turning up and committing war crimes in 4K, and it'll be more than justified :laughing:

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That's a good idea but there's no way I wouldn't be tempted to veer off the beaten path. It sounds like there's lots of stuff to do if you look around. If this game was out three weeks before Zelda I'd probably go for it, but as it stands I'll prob just wait a couple months before playing. 

Yeah, there's no way I won't be veering off the beaten path. Not that I was planning on spoiling the game anyways, but I'll take extra care to use spoiler tags for your sake and just give more general thoughts on the game outside of them :peace: do think it's smarter to wait than potentially find yourself rushing through! 

I do generally find myself planning what I play anyways, but it's funny when we come up to a window like this and suddenly my plans get thrown up in the air. I think I can get through and 100% Survivor before Tears of the Kingdom (or die trying haha), Tears of the Kingdom I have absolutely zero idea on how long it'll take me - and I don't want to rush - but I imagine I'll be done with it by the time Final Fantasy XVI comes out some six weeks or so later (right..?). 

But it's this week before Survivor where I find myself questioning what I want to play between now and then. A bunch of smaller games? Just one game, which could cut it close? We'll see I guess! ::shrug:

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Might play a pixel art game before Zelda instead so that the graphical jump will make TOTK look great (at first glance), as opposed to going from Survivor > Zelda :laughing:

That's not a bad idea! 

loads up the launch version of Cyberpunk 2077

40353c9c8a7dca56dff73c8c8157dbb6.gif

Someone has managed to get their hands on the game early, so the story has started to leak, because of course it has. 

Only thing I've seen is the apparent time it takes to crit path the game, which is apparently...

Spoiler

23 hours or so. 

Going by HLTB, Fallen Order takes 17 hours to crit path (which I'll assume is for a blind playthrough maybe? Mine last year took me 7-8 hours) and if this is accurate, that'd be a 6 hour increase in crit path time. 

The game I'd been worried this game would end up being like in potential for poor pacing/bloat is Ragnarök, which according to HLTB comes in at 26 hours, compared to GoW 2018's rough 20.5 hour main story length. 

Doesn't quite assuage those fears of mine, then, but obviously time alone isn't the only component to pacing, so fingers crossed. 

Very excited to see what they've got in store for us, but also a little nervous seeing as I wasn't completely head over heels for Fallen Order on my first playthrough (my second playthrough was much smoother in terms of pacing, and shorter thanks to not wanting to do everything again). The story in particular, for me, didn't really take off until the final third or so of the game (Dathomir and a certain sequence onwards until the end of the game), so I'm hoping for a bit more of a consistent approach, hopefully a greater variety of puzzles, and a more lived-in world (which from all the early looks we do seem to be in for). Ooo, and while I'm hoping for things, give me some cool boss fights too :D

Less than three days to go! :bouncy:

• Like 1

Time for a review round-up! Seems to mostly be 8's and 9's out of 10, so that's a good sign! 

Also just got a notification to say my copy has been shipped too! 

a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

Just two more days to go :bouncy:

Edited by Julius

Excellent reviews, 8's and 9's. I'll take that!

Alex from Star Wars Explained loving it should mean the storyline is great.

Some choice quotes from Opencritic

If Respawn makes a third game like Star Wars Jedi: Survivor and Fallen Order, it'll complete the best Star Wars trilogy in 30 years, hands down.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor lovable unpretentiousness is what makes it such a blast - but a lack of true focus holds it back.

Jedi: Survivor sets itself up as a benchmark for what new Star Wars stories can look like

Respawn Entertainment clearly took a measured and thoughtful approach to analyze what worked and what didn’t in its last Star Wars game, and Jedi: Survivor feels like a worthy attempt at evolution. It captures the magic of Star Wars as well as anything in the current canon, and it’s a stellar adventure in its own right.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor improves upon its predecessor's gameplay and storytelling to deliver an engrossing story of a Jedi grappling with morality.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor almost swept me off my feet

Respawn’s Fallen Order sequel is a big, bombastic blockbuster but doesn’t forget what made the first one special

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is an excellent sequel and a fun Star Wars story, but maybe wait for better performance.

Edited by Ronnie

On 20/04/2023 at 4:40 PM, Julius said:

It's more a case of me just questioning how the game has ended up that big when so many other substantially-sized games are substantially smaller in file size (again: RDR2 being 90-100 GB at launch and this being 150 GB is something I'm having a hard time reconciling in my head), but I'm sure playing the game itself might answer some of those questions...maybe? :p 

Could be the variety of environments. The detail in RDR2 was incredible, but I imagine recreating Coruscant might be pretty resource heavy. Probably a combination of lots of planets with poor optimisation.

but I'll take extra care to use spoiler tags for your sake and just give more general thoughts on the game outside of them :peace:

Thank you! I'm definitely waiting until after I finish with Tears of the Kingdom to play Survivor. Annoying, but oh well.

I do generally find myself planning what I play anyways, but it's funny when we come up to a window like this and suddenly my plans get thrown up in the air. I think I can get through and 100% Survivor before Tears of the Kingdom (or die trying haha)

I've not actually read the reviews yet but it sounds like there's a lot of content/busiwork around the main campaign. Might be a case of doing main missions and side missions before Zelda and doing the equivalent of Favours when you get back to it.

Still seems crazy to release two weeks before what'll probably be the biggest game of the year.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Some choice quotes from Opencritic

If Respawn makes a third game like Star Wars Jedi: Survivor and Fallen Order, it'll complete the best Star Wars trilogy in 30 years, hands down.

Me working my way through that quote:

huh, Jedi turns 40 this year so they aren't referring to the OT, and I doubt anyone is referring to the prequels that way, plus it's not 30 yet so it's too recent for that anyways...

OH MY GOSH THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT ZAHN'S THRAWN TRILOGY AHHHHHHHHHHH

(finished in 1993 for those curious :p

Now that is a choice quote and reference which was a rollercoaster to work my way through if I've ever seen one :laughing:

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Could be the variety of environments. The detail in RDR2 was incredible, but I imagine recreating Coruscant might be pretty resource heavy. Probably a combination of lots of planets with poor optimisation.

Yeah, almost certainly a case of that and poor optimisation. Makes me wonder how many more open spaces there are vs more linear ones, hope it's fairly balanced to help with the game's pacing. 

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Might be a case of doing main missions and side missions before Zelda and doing the equivalent of Favours when you get back to it.

power-hayden-christensen.gif

I reckon I could Plat it before Tears of the Kingdom drops :p

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Still seems crazy to release two weeks before what'll probably be the biggest game of the year.

That combined with dropping reviews on the same day as previews for Tears of the Kingdom has to be one of the biggest accidental self-inflicted burns we've seen in...around a year, now that I think about it :laughing:

Because Sony were so hell bent on pitting Forbidden West against Elden Ring, after putting Zero Dawn against Breath of the Wild worked out *so* well for them :nono:

Ok the reviews are starting to convince me to get it at launch. Just need to figure out now which is the least buggy version 😆

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

That combined with dropping reviews on the same day as previews for Tears of the Kingdom has to be one of the biggest accidental self-inflicted burns we've seen in...around a year, now that I think about it :laughing:

Absolutely! And literally what, 2 hours apart? 

Similar to Horizon 1 releasing a week or so before BOTW and Horizon 2 releasing a week before Elden Ring. D'oh.

EDIT: oh you made that exact point in the next sentence, that'll teach me to keep reading before replying. *facepalm*

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

power-hayden-christensen.gif

I reckon I could Plat it before Tears of the Kingdom drops :p

By all means!! Just don't want it to impact your enjoyment of Survivor.

Well this was fun to watch :D

Now to wonder if this is the closest we'll get to ever seeing Luke and Cal on-screen together :p

• Like 1

Started playing this morning. Sticking with performance mode I think and so far no issues to speak of which is a good start!

Started playing this morning. Sticking with performance mode I think and so far no issues to speak of which is a good start!
Which format did you buy? I read that the PC version had quite a few performance issues.

2 minutes ago, bob said:
57 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Which format did you buy? I read that the PC version had quite a few performance issues.

Xbox Series X

• Like 1

Survivor? I hardly know 'er :p

Fuy56HEXgAIN1UI?format=jpg&name=large

This is a big boy install, on that front they've definitely outdone themselves :laughing:

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Survivor? I hardly know 'er :p

Fuy56HEXgAIN1UI?format=jpg&name=large

This is a big boy install, on that front they've definitely outdone themselves :laughing:

Enjoy!!

Please post thoughts. People seem to be loving it from what I've read (apart from technical hiccups).

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Enjoy!!

Please post thoughts. People seem to be loving it from what I've read (apart from technical hiccups).

It's been four hours and it's still installing :laughing:

But yeah, will definitely share some thoughts! Hope I don't encounter too many hiccups (I'm pretty sensitive to framerate variation and they can give me headaches), but well, it can never be worse than Cyberpunk was at launch I guess :p

1 minute ago, Julius said:

But yeah, will definitely share some thoughts! Hope I don't encounter too many hiccups (I'm pretty sensitive to framerate variation and they can give me headaches), but well, it can never be worse than Cyberpunk was at launch I guess :p

Quality mode (30fps) seems to be the way to go then if you don't like framerate variation.

1 minute ago, Julius said:

I've finished the first big section and never really noticed any so hopefully will be the same on PS5. 

Thought the opening was good but definitely not as strong as Jedi Fallen Order's.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Quality mode (30fps) seems to be the way to go then if you don't like framerate variation.

Just barging in to point out that when given the option, always go for the framerate option.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Just barging in to point out that when given the option, always go for the framerate option.

@Julius specifically said he doesn't like inconsistent frame-rates and they can give him a headache. Hence my advice that a stable 30fps might be best in that case.

Just now, Ronnie said:

@Julius specifically said he doesn't like inconsistent frame-rates and they can give him a headache. Hence my advice that a stable 30fps might be best in that case.

Ah, I missed that, I was assuming choosing the frame rate option would give a stable frame rate.

Carry on.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this