NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

All-new PlayStation Plus: Premium / Deluxe | Extra | Essential

On 5/1/2024 at 5:38 PM, drahkon said:

Tunic

Played it for an hour just now.
Not feeling it at all.

Gonna give it some more time but right now...meh.

• Sad 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, drahkon said:

Tunic

Is this gaming winning me over?
Not sure, yet.

I hate the art style (except in the manual) and the combat is absolute garbage. But the game has something going for it...and right now it's not even the puzzles which have been praised to the moon and back (seriously...after 3 hours nothing has been "mind blowing" or whatever people call it).
Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the sound the obelisks make. I'm dead serious: I LOVE THAT FUCKING SOUND. It's so ominous and terrifying (don't look it up, because it will spoil quite a bit).

Anybody going to give Animal Well a go?
Playing it right now and...it's not too shabby. Very intriguing.

More games leaving the service this month.

Teardown (PS5)

MX vs ATV Legends (PS5, PS4)

ELEX 2 (PS5, PS4)

Wreckfest (PS5, PS4)

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PS4)

Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (PS4)

Darksiders 3 (PS4)

Darksiders Genesis (PS4)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)

On 5/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, drahkon said:

Tunic

Still don't know what to think. Pretty sure I'm relatively close to the end.

The "level" design gets old very quickly. It's basically a case of "the isometric camera makes certain 'secret' passages almost impossible to see until you walk through them from the other side"...and once you've done that 5 times, you kinda know where to look for them ::shrug:

There's also one mechanic that I won't spoil but it's ass.

Combat is still ass.

So far I'd say: a very overrated game. Similar to Undertale, but I found Undertale to be complete garbage. Tunic at least has something going for it.

Edited by drahkon

Still don't know what to think. Pretty sure I'm relatively close to the end.
The "level" design gets old very quickly. It's basically a case of "the isometric camera makes certain 'secret' passages almost impossible to see until you walk through them from the other side"...and once you've done that 5 times, you kinda know where to look for them ::shrug:
There's also one mechanic that I won't spoil but it's ass.
Combat is still ass.
So far I'd say: a very overrated game. Similar to Undertale, but I found Undertale to be complete garbage. Tunic at least has something going for it.
See for me Undertale was a stroke of genius with very charming music and characters, but certainly a "one and done" kind of game. It really can't be enjoyed the same way a second time. I can understand it isn't for everyone though, very much self aware and "meta" in what it was going for.

I agree with your points on Tunic. I think the visual style very much does a lot of the heavy lifting.

Shoddy month. I don't think there's any game on there that I'm interested in playing, at least that I haven't played before (love the Cat Quest games). Good month for the old backlog though.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

New PS2 Classics seem to be on their way to the Classics Catalog after Star Wars: The Clone Wars (yes, another one :D), originally released for PS2 in 2002, has been spotted on the backend of the PlayStation Store; it is seemingly set for release 11th June 2024:

Not one I've played before from memory, so I'd be very interested in checking it out seeing as the little I know about it has me viewing it as the progenitor for the Battlefront games. 

Anyways, to me this would seem to suggest that PlayStation have a new PS2 emulator around, especially seeing as the description mentions up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters?

It is also worth bearing in mind here that there was also that slate of Star Wars classics released back in 2015 on the PS4 which included PS2 games like Jedi Starfighter and Bounty Hunter, so I do also wonder if this is something they've prepped from scratch or if there was anything prepped for that collection, as The Clone Wars wasn't included (though that could also have been the case for a number of other reasons). 

Again, as a Star Wars fan I love it, but it's odd - especially with seemingly new PS2 emulation involved, or at least a fresh approach to it for PlayStation - that this is the game which would crop up first to lead the charge on a potential wave of new PS2 Classics showing up. Very interested in seeing if any other games pop up in the next few weeks before this will likely launch, and also how we find out about it officially, seeing as May 4th is a good 10+ days behind us at this point, and there have been those rumours of a May PlayStation Showcase for some time now. You could time it with The Acolyte I suppose, which kicks off on June 4th? But they feel too unrelated for me to see that being the case ::shrug:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Julius said:

New PS2 Classics seem to be on their way to the Classics Catalog after Star Wars: The Clone Wars (yes, another one :D)

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

GN75g1KWEAEgLca?format=jpg&name=large

Utter garbage. This is another highly praised indie game that fails to live up to the hype. I'm actually baffled why the gaming press liked this. It's a game that is obscure just for the sake of being obscure. Hiding entrances and exits behind walls does not make for a fun experience.

Also, as drahkon mentioned, the combat is rubbish. There were so many times where I was fighting enemies but I felt I was being pushed back by some invisible barrier. The enemies are also pretty obnoxious, with some following you all over the places and others staying just out of harms reach. 

I've played a fair few indie games this year that have gone under the radar and deserved so much more attention than what Tunic got. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this