N-Europe

Trials of Mana (2020)

Tim B

Couldn't find a topic on the Trials of Mana remake so thought I would create one. It's due out relatively soon, on April 24th.

Taken from Amazon.co.uk:

"Revamped 3D graphics -Trials of mana is full 3D remake of the third game in the mana series, originally released in Japan as Seiken densetsu 3. The entire game has been fully rebuilt from the ground up with modern 3D graphics

pick your party - Players can choose their favorite protagonist and two companions from six different characters. The story will play out in different ways depending on the combination of the protagonist and companions in the party

class changing- raise your level and become the top-level classes. The character's appearance and the magic and special attacks that they can learn will change depending on which class is selected and the light/ dark alignment.

rabite adornment (DLC) an in-game accessory to be worn that allows the player to gain more exp after a battle up to level 10. Rabite adornment DLC available until 21st may 2020 as a Pre-order and early purchase bonus"

There's a free demo available on the Nintendo eShop. Anyone tried it yet?

10 minutes ago, Tim B said:

There's a free demo available on the Nintendo eShop. Anyone tried it yet?

I've got the demo downloaded but I'm pretty happy with my Animal Crossing/Pokémon Mystery Dungeon routine for now.

It's mad that this game is happening, especially so soon after Collection of Mana gave us an actual translated version of the original game.

Played the demo, don't think I'll play it until the end. The game feels a bit low budget in places, particularly with the dialog. I'm wondering if they've reused a lot from the Collection of Mana translation. But there was some repeated NPC dialog, which after DQXI which had unique dialog for every NPC, adds to that low budget feel even though they seem to be pushing it as rather high budget.

I'm not sure if it's just for the demo but you reach a point and then you get a montage of stuff that happens and the story jumps forward a bit which felt a bit weird, so I feel like I actually missed out on something.

Everything else is pretty good though, the battles transitions are smooth and battles are quick (so far), the game does look quite nice and it runs smooth on the Switch. Seems the game is designed for multiple playthroughs since you choose 3 characters at the start.

Might pick up the full game later, or just play the original on the Collection of Mana.

• Thanks 1