NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Kirby Clash

So I don't know what this is, and I thought it didn't look interesting, but I don't mind trying it out with some people tonight?

(also I can't find a individual trailer, so this will have to do for now)

27 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

So I don't know what this is, and I thought it didn't look interesting, but I don't mind trying it out with some people tonight?

(also I can't find a individual trailer, so this will have to do for now)

Yeah, I had my fill with the 3DS version. Not going through that grindy mess again.

• Thanks 1

I might, but not tonight, maybe tomorrow tonight/weekend?

How much can you play before buying?

I'm not sure what my plans are for the coming days, though I think I'll be available Friday night. I haven't checked the game in yet, Could be fun to go in blind with 4 people.

Edited by Sméagol

It's pretty fun, basically a 4-player boss battle. Kirby can do 4 roles: sword, hammer, mage and healer.

It is pretty grindy indeed, but I think you can go through it much faster with 4 skilled players then alone with bots, which I did on the 3DS.

Anyway, I'm game for some games!

Edited by Vileplume2000

Here are a couple of passwords to get you some free gems and apples.

• SUPERKIRBYCLASH 
  • GEMAPPLES 

giphy.gif

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here are a couple of passwords to get you some free gems and apples.

• SUPERKIRBYCLASH 
  • GEMAPPLES 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I finally reached level 100 last night. :yay:

EF-m2hcUYAEPeMJ?format=jpg&name=small

Also, I got my email through for playing Tetris the other weekend. I don't really need the Gem Apples (I get 4000 every 24 hours) so if anyone wants my code ( not sure if it's account specific ) just let me know and i'll fire a PM your way.

49 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finally reached level 100 last night. :yay:

EF-m2hcUYAEPeMJ?format=jpg&name=small

Also, I got my email through for playing Tetris the other weekend. I don't really need the Gem Apples (I get 4000 every 24 hours) so if anyone wants my code ( not sure if it's account specific ) just let me know and i'll fire a PM your way.

That's insane! Is that something you can get by playing in-game or do you need to spend some money to get the tree to grow?

It's a fun game to play every day for a bit. Right now I'm around level 21 so I'm just steadily working my way through it. Like @Hero-of-Timementioned in the Gaming Diary thread, online is a mess. What an absolute lagfest and I can't see how Nintendo cannot get simple games like this or SNES online to run smoothly.

• Like 1

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

That's insane! Is that something you can get by playing in-game or do you need to spend some money to get the tree to grow?

Sadly you need to spend money to get the tree to grow. I "bought" the full game for £30 and this essentially removes all restrictions, just like I done with the 3DS version.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

It's a fun game to play every day for a bit. Right now I'm around level 21 so I'm just steadily working my way through it. Like @Hero-of-Timementioned in the Gaming Diary thread, online is a mess. What an absolute lagfest and I can't see how Nintendo cannot get simple games like this or SNES online to run smoothly.

It's because "simple" games like this are actually amongst the hardest to get working smoothly online; despite outward appearances...

Your typical "complex" FPS', TPS', racing games etc are actually the easiest kinds of games to make work online; because they are perfect for predictive algorithms that can assume certain things, like player positioning.  Platformers are actually incredibly difficult to make work smoothly online; which is why Super Mario Maker 2 is literally the first ever traditional platformer to have an online multiplayer mode (and predictably, it's a mess).  And SNES/NES games were of course, never originally designed to work online, so they have to literally send button commads across the internet 60 times a second... Naturally, this is going to cause heavy lag.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 4

Super Kirby Clash isn't a platformer and still runs like garbage. It's literally 4 characters, as well as a boss, on a single screen. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Super Kirby Clash isn't a platformer and still runs like garbage. It's literally 4 characters, as well as a boss, on a single screen. 

It still has to keep track of the player's position, damage status and attack positioning like a traditional 2D platformer though; and it can't rely on predictive algorithm tricks like most other online games, because the inherent nature of its gameplay is unpredictable.

It's not as bad as SMM2, where the players actually interact with each other and can jump off each other with 16ms/pixel perfect accuracy (which is basically like a worst-case-scenario with online play), but it's more akin to making a game like Super Smash Bros work online (which itself is much more difficult than a typical fighting game).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It still has to keep track of the player's position, damage status and attack positioning like a traditional 2D platformer though; and it can't rely on predictive algorithm tricks like most other online games, because the inherent nature of its gameplay is unpredictable.

It's not as bad as SMM2, where the players actually interact with each other and can jump off each other with 16ms/pixel perfect accuracy (which is basically like a worst-case-scenario with online play), but it's more akin to making a game like Super Smash Bros work online (which itself is much more difficult than a typical fighting game).

What about something like Monster Hunter World? It's a massive 3D world with 4 online players, 2 big beasties and a bunch of smaller ones, all of which are interacting with each other in different and unpredictable ways. I'm not trying to poke holes in what you are saying, I just find it hard to believe that something like Kirby struggles but a game such as MHW can run pretty much flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What about something like Monster Hunter World? It's a massive 3D world with 4 online players, 2 big beasties and a bunch of smaller ones, all of which are interacting with each other in different and unpredictable ways. I'm not trying to poke holes in what you are saying, I just find it hard to believe that something like Kirby struggles but a game such as MHW can run pretty much flawlessly.

Monster Hunter World doesn't actually keep track of the player's positioning accurately at all.  It's all a clever trick of the eye; where it only keeps a rough estimate of the player's position within a given square radius of any given area (it also doesn't track smaller monster positions whatsoever), so it gives the game plenty of time to send over rough co-ordinates to the other players.  If you've ever played a Monster Hunter game locally, you'd actually notice that your position on one players screen doesn't match up with another player's at all ( @Glen-i can vouch for this as we've played plenty of MH together locally and online and we've had plenty of laughs over killing phantom monsters or seeing another player fly away for no reason!).

Super Kirby Clash can't get away with this however because of the exact positioning required from being a 2D platformer, and from being able to see all players/enemies at all times; nor can it get away with hiding the player positioning on other screens because of the need to sync up gameplay exactly.  As such, it can't use the same tricks that MH does.  Ironically, it would actually be easier to do if the game was 3D!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still find it very weird and I'm having a hard time accepting that a tiny 2D game can't run as well as large, 3D online experiences. I mean, even when a 3D Nintendo game is online (Splatoon, Super Mario Party) they have issues. Mario Party was barely playable and suffered from massive lag. Splatoon had tick rate problems and you would often get splatter by someone that was nowhere near you.

I have zero expertise when it comes to this so I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. 

• Thanks 1

Since seeing the credits I've just been picking away at the game in order to unlock everything. I woke up this morning at 4am, stuck on some podcasts and decided to grind out all the materials I needed. After two half hours of constantly fighting the same boss over and over again, I finally obtained 100% completion. 

900 missions completed and 60 hours played. This is easily the most time I've spent on a single Kirby game. I certainly got my money's worth out of my purchase!

The grinding is now over.....*boots up Dragon Quest II and continues to grind for gold and levels* :D 

Sign in to follow this