NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Moonlighter (PS4, XB1, PC)

Moonlighter is an Action RPG with rogue-lite elements that demonstrates two sides of the coin – revealing everyday routines of Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that secretly dreams of becoming a hero.

This will be @Hero-of-Time's favourite thread. :p

Anybody other than me interested in this?

• Haha 1

I am, despite the apparently procedurally generated maps. Pixel art looks great. But if I'm getting it, I'm getting the Switch version, so I have little else to say at this point.

• Like 1

Played this for 25 minutes...love it :D

The music is amazing, visuals are lovely, gameplay so far (very early stages, of course) seems great.
The menus are a little cluttered, but it's not too too bad. Took me a couple of minutes to get used to them, though.

That's all I can say for now.

Sadly, I'm too exhausted from football and I need to sleep...but hey, I took tomorrow off. Plenty of time to play :laughing:

• Thanks 1

Put a little more time into it today.

I'll say it again: Music and visuals are wonderful. :)

Upgraded my store, bought a new bed, brought a blacksmith and enchanter to town, bought a bow, headgear and a huge sword.

Dungeon crawling is pretty cool. Everything about it reminds of the first The Legend of Zelda. I mean, it's clear where Moonlighter got its inspiration from regarding the dungeons.
Combat is slow but deliberate. You have to time your attacks and dodges or you get hit. It's nice.
Still haven't reached the first boss. Actually, I have yet to venture deeper than level 2 of the first dungeon. :D

Once you're back in town with your backpack full of loot it's time to tend to your store. But first: Check which materials you need for buying new equipment. Ready? Alright, place items on the shelves, set their prices and open the store.
Customers come in and check the merchandise. If the prices are reasonable, good. Money, money, money :D If they are too high, you can adjust them while the store is still open. I usually manage to clear my whole inventory. :peace:
Sometimes thieves try to steal your wares, but so far it's been pretty easy to catch them.

The game as a whole feels "slow", and I don't mean that as a negative. It's just a fact. Keeping that in mind: the pacing is great. Dungeon crawling and store-management are perfectly balanced.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 2

I'm buying this bitch.

How much of it is procedurally generated?

Completed the second dungeon.
Almost died to the boss during my first fight against it. Decided to teleport back to town, though. Good choice as I would've lost a lot of loot.

Bought a new weapon, returned to the boss and owned his ass :D

Now it's time to grab loot from the third dungeon, make enough money to upgrade my store again (seems like I'll get an assistant with the upgrade; should be useful) and then back to collecting materials for new weapons and armor.

It's not a game I play for long sessions. It's nice to just sit back and enjoy it for an hour :)

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, drahkon said:

Anybody other than me interested in this?

Very much so!  Graphics look stunning, and gameplay seems right up my street.  I'll have to wait until it's on Switch though.

Although I got the wrong impression from the trailer, the game has grown on me. I was expecting more of a Pokemon-style adventure.

There isn't a great deal of depth to it, but the tasks don't feel chore-like to complete and they give you just about enough sense of achievement. Figuring out the menus and systems and becoming more efficient with them is incentive enough to carry on.

There's a lot to be said for relaxing games which have you applying a method with gradually increasing levels of complexity. You're never really going to be challenged by Moonlighter, but the predictable nature of the progression comes with its own pleasures.

Changed my mind about the game having just finished it. It's meh.

The ideas weren't fleshed out, there's no real art behind shop management, the RPG side of the game is all mapped out on a plate (i.e. if you reach the third dungeon, you need to buy the third weapon upgrade). It felt like the game set up some interesting mechanics but didn't properly follow through with them.

Art design was fantastic, but the writing was crap - grammar errors all over the place and while I wasn't expecting anything from the story, there wasn't much in the way of charm or humour.

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this