NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

Between Sega and Capcom, I feel like I'm in the 1990s at the moment (always a good thing!)  I remember when Model 1 was new - Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop - how fast and smooth they were.  It really did seem like the future.  To this day I have a penchant for the untextured polygon models.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys! Jeremy Parish is doing a new subseries of videos on these SEGA AGES releases! And he’s getting new interview notes from staff at SEGA and M2!

For fans of his Video Works and the SEGA 3D Classics interviews, this is a must watch!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sega-ages-phantasy-star-switch-finally-releasing-on-oct-31st-likely-worldwide.77532/

Looks like Phantasy Star will just barely make it in time for October after all! :D 

In Japan, it'll probably be Thursday/November for us. I was starting to give up hope on this coming out any time soon.

Looks like there's a new compilation CD album coming out: http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/news/181026.shtml

I was going to wait, but bought the Japanese version as I couldn't wait. :p

Can someone explain what is supposed to be so good about Phantasy Star? Surely it will have aged terribly?

5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Can someone explain what is supposed to be so good about Phantasy Star? Surely it will have aged terribly?

I never played any of the original series but i've always wanted to try them. One of my favourite Mega Drive games as a kid was Shining in the Darkness and seeing as the Phantasy Star games are also first person dungeon crawlers I figure they would be right up my street. Also, i'm a sucker for old JRPGs where grinding is essential. :D 

9 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

Nope, it holds up well, as long as you don't mind grinding. This version also includes some QoL changes for those who want them.

I think they reduced the encounter rate a bit too much, but maybe the double EXP and Meseta makes up for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome interview here with the guys from M2 about Phantasy Star!

https://www.dualshockers.com/switch-dreamcast-sega-ages-phantasy-star-rieko-kodama-naoki-horii-kagasei-shimomura-interview/

They've actually gotten Atlus USA to completely redo the English localisation! They've even added FM sound support for the English version (which not even the PS2 SEGA AGES release had!)

Awesome! :D 

Lots of awesome stuff there, including hints at an online mode for Virtua Racing Switch and this interesting comment for Gain Ground...

As for Gain Ground, apparently, Horii-san  got a “super exciting” Twitter DMs from a hardcore fan of the game, that may help a lot with the Switch version.

Exciting! Read it already you fools!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

I won't say I know the game well enough, but the localisation seems the same to me?

Good news about Switch being able to run NAOMI (and we know it can do Model 1)!  I wonder if that means it can run Model 2 and 3?  Whatever the sales for the Master System and Mega Drive games, I really think people want the coin-ops.  My most-wanted:

System 16

• Golden Axe

System 32

• Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
  • Spider-Man (yeah, right!)
  • Arabian Fight

Model 3

• Daytona 2
  • Sega Rally 2
  • Le Mans
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the delay, the game is already done. Are they adding extra languages or something..?

42 minutes ago, Ike said:

I don't understand the delay, the game is already done. Are they adding extra languages or something..?

The English manual is still missing, maybe it's to do with that?

Otherwise, who knows :heh:

Beat the game last night sorry for those still waiting forgot how much a slog the Air Castle is, you don't have much MP and spells cost a lost and you have to go through a tower,  a cave, another tower then a dungeon without the chance to heal up in between. There's no item that restores MP which seems like a massive oversight. Still managed to beat Lassic but barely. The variable damage in this game is weird, sometimes you take/deal little damage but then inflict a massive amount.

By the way, you can use the same save on Classic or Ages mode if you feel like swapping.

• Thanks 2

I'm still baffled as to why we have heard nothing in regards to a Western release for Phantasy Star. Tomorrow will mark the date of when it was supposed to be released but Sega have been silent since the delay. :( 

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm still baffled as to why we have heard nothing in regards to a Western release for Phantasy Star. Tomorrow will mark the date of when it was supposed to be released but Sega have been silent since the delay. :(

At this point, I'm holding out for the chance of a physical release, including Sonic, Thunderforce, Phantasy Star, Virtua Racing, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Gain Ground and more.

Yeah... we're getting the Sega Mega Drive classics collection as well but, it would make sense to have a physical version too.

They said at least fifteen games total would be released in the series, right? Maybe they'll have two volumes, Vol.1 including the games above and Vol.2 for the rest...

...it is possible that they might be considering how to split the games as well, if that's the case.

Either way, I hope we get some news soon. :D

Bloody hell! A whole month late is nuts considering that everything was already in English in the Japanese release besides the manual!

At least they're making up for it with a cheaper price I guess, but still!

They had better not make us wait that much longer than Japan for all of the subsequent SEGA AGES releases...

Edited by Dcubed

SEGA has confirmed that it will release Out Run as the next SEGA Ages title on Switch. A release date was not announced, but it is scheduled before year’s end – at least in Japan.

Out Run will run at 60 frames per second and in widescreen on Switch. It’ll also carry over features from the 3DS version, including the “tune-up” mechanic and sountrack. Gyro controls will be an option as well.

• Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this