NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

3D Printing

As myself and @Shorty have purchased 3D printers I figured it would be good to have a thread where we (and anyone else) can discuss it and post whatever we've managed to print.

My CR-10S arrived today and after setting if up and then spending quite a while trying to get the bed level it's printing the built in cat model at the moment.

SK0EivK.jpg

There's a lot of table vibration happening at the moment though which has me slightly worried. I think I'll have to look into how I can minimize that.

• Like 3

How much does the raw material cost? E.g, how much would it cost to print a small figurine?

It looks like the reels cost around £10-20 but I wont really be able to say how much plastic stuff uses until ive done more prints. I've just this minute finished my first print which I'll post a photo of in a minute and that didnt seem to take up too much of the reel.

Ohhhhh, let's make this a guessing game. What did Happenstance print first?

I'm gonna say...with the following hint he's given:

that didnt seem to take up too much of the reel

His penis.

Yes, I'll have you know that I'm very mature.

• Like 2

I printed what Shorty will probably also print first as its the test file that comes with the printer. I'm about to start my second print now though which if it goes ok shouldn't take too long!

XZVUznO.jpg

• Like 2

How large is it?

Edit: This is a serious question :D There's no reference in that photo so I have no idea how big that cat is.

Edited by drahkon

Final print for the day. Felt the need to confirm that I did indeed buy this printer for geeky reasons!

Oye6VWR.jpg

I may have to pick up some gold paint and paint this one.

Finished my last tests. The larger one was supposed to be a bit more complicated but because I stupidly forgot to set the infill to 100% the finer detail and words didn't come out. I at least know my mistake for next time though.

xtKIClg.jpg

• Like 1

hmrLlhO.jpg

Printed Baby Groot today. Really happy with it up until the forehead where a layer seems to have messed up. I'll probably just use this one to practice the paint scheme on.

Well now I wish I'd paid the extra £100 to get it from amazon :p still waiting for mine....

• Like 1

For the basic printing settings I am using Ultimaker Cura for the software but I have Meshmixer downloaded for when I need to start splitting prints in half and these are both free. If I get more into it I may consider buying Simplify3D as that seems to be the best.

Finished painting Baby Groot. Still a shame about the shifted layer but other than that I'm happy!

WkmmUnc.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's actually amazing! Can't waiting to see the advancements of the 3D printing within next few years/decades. 

• Thanks 1

I got something 3D printed at work for a client once. It was pretty cool actually, they sold you boxes of 3D space, and anything you could cram into that 3D box, they would print out for you. The more you could fit in, the more you got for your money. We were designing an attachment to go on a JCB at the time, and the client wanted tiny models of it that he could attach to a Matchbox model of a JCB and demonstrate with, so I had to shrink down the CAD model we had and simplify it so that the resolution of the 3D printer wouldn't break anything. 

It turned out really well in the end - I still have one of the spare ones on my desk. I'll upload a picture if I can find one.

EDIT: Found it 9b57a2e9f866f6627325c85a134d4c17.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty awesome the little practical things you can make with a 3D printer. The model Happ and I have bought is an upgrade from the original CR-10. If you bought the previous model, the recommendation was that the dozen things you printed were actual upgrades, brackets, supports etc for the printer itself that made it safer and more stable/secure. A device that builds its own upgrades! Brilliant.

Damn it. Just wasted 4 hours on a print that I took out some supports that I shouldn't have. I really need to make sure I pay close attention before finalizing files :(

Finished printing my Mass Effect pistol. Got more sanding, filling of the middle seam and priming to do before I can start work on the paint job.

eJZP91w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I finally got my 3D printer but I haven't been able to get it put together. The Z-coupler on one side just doesnt seem to attach properly to the rod that goes into it. Think I overtightened it and ruined the thread inside. Every video I watch nobody even talks about the Z-axis really, they just adjust some screws a bit and start moving it. But mine came with some new type of z-coupler seemingly, which is "loosened for protection during transport" and then has very vague inaccurate instructions for tightening back up. Basically that's on hold and I've ordered a new coupler from amazon arriving tomorrow...

Ugh, the whole thing has completely pissed me off, and after 35 days waiting for it to arrive, as well.

I haven't had a lot of success with this thing so far. I had one great print of an Oddish plant pot, and a few miniature figures, but most things since then have failed for various reasons. Very difficult to get my bed and z-axis level on both sides :/ Wish I had more time to work on it.

Sign in to follow this