NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Your film diary 2018

So far only one for me, but that will change starting next Thursday. Well earlier than that probably, but that's when IFFR 2018 starts.

The beguiled ♥♥♥ 

The new Sofia Coppola. Nice story and visuals, occasionally amusing, but was hoping for more horror or thriller stuff.

Been watching a whole lot of monster movies over the past few weeks. Really been enjoying them, I just wish it was easier to get hold of proper copies. I still have a few left to watch from my list and then a few of the cheesier ones from the Showa era that I really should at least attempt to watch.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Battle1.gif~c200

Spoiler

tumblr_m4h6a8iLpk1ru09vqo1_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_l7rysv1za21qduf9no1_1280.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_owx06kDNXs1wzw0ebo1_500.gif

Spoiler

GodzillaBlasting.gif

Spoiler

SpiffyImmaterialIndigobunting-size_restr

Spoiler

latest?cb=20151224080959

Spoiler

Godzilla-Vs-Mechagodzilla-2-godzilla-399

Spoiler

Godzilla-vs-Spacegodzilla-japanese-monst

Spoiler

Godzilla-Vs-Destoroyah-godzilla-39996140

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160804222050

Spoiler

Godzilla-Vs-Megaguirus-godzilla-39997357

Spoiler

tumblr_ou65rloJeJ1vfhsggo1_500.gif

Spoiler

Kiryu-Stabs-Godzilla-godzilla-40001137-5

Spoiler

shots_fired_by_nikka0418-dbi8v6s.gif

Spoiler

latest?cb=20130703232250

Spoiler

godzilla.gif?w=584&h=243

Spoiler

tumblr_nsa2i1TJLy1u8qr43o1_500.gif

Spoiler

ShallowOilyAcornweevil-size_restricted.g

Spoiler

tumblr_n2r0jvuguw1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Edited by Happenstance

Downsizing

It was odd. It was like a bunch of completely different concepts put together. The start of the film was interesting, but then it just seems to go into different directions at random points. The downsizing aspect doesn't even seem that relevant to the overall plot at all.

The Shape of Water

Lovely tale, great acting and a really nice visual style to it. Doug Jones and Sally Hawkins are both great in it.

Yup. After only one post, I'll finally post my more or less complete list (couldn't find all my tickets :() here, and more importantly, my favourites of 2018. I'll do better in 2019 buy watching more films (again it's pathetic) and keeping better track of them and posting about it here. Another thing, I was able to watch a lot of classics in the cinema because of special screenings, most of which I had already seen. Most of the Ghibli titles (saw 2 or 3 new ones, but had seen the rest), all of the Wes Anderson films (had not seen his first 3 films), and Akira. Oh and Office Space. :laughing: I don't consider them for my favourites of 2018 with one exception which I had not seen before then. Since I've been playing with my new Raspberry Pi, I'll give you a very suspicious link at the end (which may or may not work) where you can see the complete list. I'lll edit in the list once I've automated the formatting. Anyway, without further ado:

My favourites 2018

Night is short, walk on Girl

Den skyldige

The endless

Hearts beat loud

A letter to Momo

Room laundering

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

And my absolute favourite film of the year:

One cut of the dead

A few honourable mentions (and again, some maybe should be upgraded)

Black Panther (don't worry, I also liked the other Marvel films)

The shape of water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BlacKkKlansman

Brawl in cellblock 99

Crazy rich Asians

Bad times at the El Royale

A day

Junk Head

Anna & The Apocalypse

Catagory "Maybe you should check this out"

Gräns

Catagory "What is this I dont even"

Les Garçons Sauvages

Worst film of the year

Jeannette (so Star Wars VIII is safe)

Complete list (again, I'll edit it into the post later):

http://163.158.240.156/films/

Edited by Sméagol

7 hours ago, bob said:

What do the colours signify in your pi link?

I didn't add a legend yet, but they're festival films. The same colours as in the spoilered lists of the other threads. Maybe I should also have coloured the specials like the Ghibli and Wes Anderson specials, maybe I will later.

Orange is IFFR, a "general" film festival, green is Imagine, a genre (sci-fi etc) film festival, purple is a Japanese film festival, and the single red one is from a Spanish film festival. In other years there was also an animation film festival, and some others.

You went to a Spanish film festival and only watched one film?

1 minute ago, bob said:

You went to a Spanish film festival and only watched one film?

I'll elaborate later, gotta go, but yes.

In short.. Some festivals are really small events (IFFR is the really big international one), but that doesn't change that depending on where they are held, I can ride my bike to the respective cinemas.

Ah, a festival for Spanish films, held near where you live. Not a film festival, held in Spain, which you went all the way to, to watch a single film and fly home again. Got it.

Bye!

• Weird 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

Ah, a festival for Spanish films, held near where you live. Not a film festival, held in Spain, which you went all the way to, to watch a single film and fly home again. Got it.

Bye!

I wish I had that kind of money to nonchalantly go to Spain for just one film. :) That said, if I did go to Spain and saw just one film, I'm sure there's other stuff to.

And I'd love to visit foreign film festivals in general. Cannes could be somewhat fun, but I believe is pretty hard to get into if you're not in the business. Berlin is I think very similar to IFFR in that regard. And I love to visit TIFF some day.

Edit: and no I've never visited Japan either (yet!), sadly.

Edit 2: I actually did visit London once mainly for just one film. It was the gala premier for The Hobbit.

Edited by Sméagol

Sign in to follow this