N-Europe

Shareholder Q&A In English

Hero-of-Time

The latest questions from the shareholders have now been translated into English. It's certainly one of the more interesting Q&A sessions in recent times.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/160629qa/index.html

There are a few decent questions in here. They ask about the lack of women on the board, what Nintendo are doing about VR, advertising and how board members seem to be too old. I also like how they asked for the return of the Iwata Asks type features.

Interesting that Kimishima presented the business report via a recorded narration rather than being in person himself. That seems very weird.

I disagree with Miyamoto when he said that VR wasn't that big of a deal at E3. I have no real interest in VR but there was no denying that there was a big buzz about it at this years show.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest questions from the shareholders have now been translated into English. It's certainly one of the more interesting Q&A sessions in recent times.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/160629qa/index.html

There are a few decent questions in here. They ask about the lack of women on the board, what Nintendo are doing about VR, advertising and how board members seem to be too old. I also like how they asked for the return of the Iwata Asks type features.

Interesting that Kimishima presented the business report via a recorded narration rather than being in person himself. That seems very weird.

I disagree with Miyamoto when he said that VR wasn't that big of a deal at E3. I have no real interest in VR but there was no denying that there was a big buzz about it at this years show.

There's obviously more to this quote but this bit made me laugh...

In an internal sales representative meeting, someone projected that we would sell close to 100 million Wii U systems worldwide.

There's obviously more to this quote but this bit made me laugh...

In an internal sales representative meeting, someone projected that we would sell close to 100 million Wii U systems worldwide.

That someone should be liable for a sacking.

I mean seriously, what did they base that on...?

The thinking was that because Wii sold well, Wii U would follow suit. I said that, since the Wii had already sold so well, we need to clearly explain the attraction of the Wii U if we are to get beyond that and sell the new system, and that this would be no easy task. I was responsible for selling the Wii U, and I knew what was good about it, so I talked with those in charge of sales about the importance of conveying the attractiveness of Wii U to consumers. I am guessing that some of this communication may have come across in a negative tone.

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

That someone should be liable for a sacking.

I mean seriously, what did they base that on...?

The thinking was that because Wii sold well, Wii U would follow suit. I said that, since the Wii had already sold so well, we need to clearly explain the attraction of the Wii U if we are to get beyond that and sell the new system, and that this would be no easy task. I was responsible for selling the Wii U, and I knew what was good about it, so I talked with those in charge of sales about the importance of conveying the attractiveness of Wii U to consumers. I am guessing that some of this communication may have come across in a negative tone.

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

Great to hear Nintendo are looking into VR for future hardware. I don't think it had a particularly strong showing at E3 (what stood out really, Batman VR, maybe X-Wing VR...?), but in a few years it could be worthwhile. The technology could do with a typically brilliant Nintendo game that shows the way (Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, Wii Sports etc)

Great to hear Nintendo are looking into VR for future hardware. I don't think it had a particularly strong showing at E3 (what stood out really, Batman VR, maybe X-Wing VR...?), but in a few years it could be worthwhile. The technology could do with a typically brilliant Nintendo game that shows the way (Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, Wii Sports etc)

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

Bwahahahaha!

Hahahaha! Classic Ninty!

Bwahahahaha!

There are plenty of games and experiences many are raving about. It certainly hit all the right notes at E3 with the general media outlets. Both BBC and Sky news reported a few times on VR technology during E3 week. I even had my dad and my oldest sister asking me about it due to them both seeing reports on it.

There are plenty of games and experiences many are raving about. It certainly hit all the right notes at E3 with the general media outlets. Both BBC and Sky news reported a few times on VR technology during E3 week. I even had my dad and my oldest sister asking me about it due to them both seeing reports on it.

I've played a cracked code of Metroid Prime on PC with the Oculus Rift and it's schweeeeeeet!

What gets me is Miyamoto saying this about VR...

...It might also not be clear how the experience can be made into a product.

It's as clear as fucking day Miyamoto!!!

Things like this make me think he's way too out of touch with gaming these days!

I've played a cracked code of Metroid Prime on PC with the Oculus Rift and it's schweeeeeeet!

What gets me is Miyamoto saying this about VR...

...It might also not be clear how the experience can be made into a product.

It's as clear as fucking day Miyamoto!!!

Things like this make me think he's way too out of touch with gaming these days!

For those wondering about Kimishima's quote...

it's in response to an investor's query about this Nikkei article

Here he's basically saying that he was misrepresented by them when they said that he said that the Wii U would be a failure before launch and that what he actually meant was that they couldn't just expect the Wii U to sell exactly like the Wii because the Wii audience already had a Wii, meaning that they had to work harder to show them what's different compared to Wii and why they should invest in new hardware.

I like how everyone around the net also also seems to be taking their comments about games "requiring" 2 million sales at face value as well... Not every game is gonna need those kinds of sales (they only mentioned 2 million because that's what they said they wanted at minimum for Breath of the Wild).

Also, Nintendo looking at VR? They've been looking into VR WAAAAAYYYYY before Oculus was even a glint in a Kickstarter backer's eye. Nothing new here.

Edited by Dcubed

For those wondering about Kimishima's quote...

it's in response to an investor's query about this Nikkei article

Here he's basically saying that he was misrepresented by them when they said that he said that the Wii U would be a failure before launch and that what he actually meant was that they couldn't just expect the Wii U to sell exactly like the Wii because the Wii audience already had a Wii, meaning that they had to work harder to show them what's different compared to Wii and why they should invest in new hardware.

I like how everyone around the net also also seems to be taking their comments about games "requiring" 2 million sales at face value as well... Not every game is gonna need those kinds of sales (they only mentioned 2 million because that's what they said they wanted at minimum for Breath of the Wild).

Also, Nintendo looking at VR? They've been looking into VR WAAAAAYYYYY before Oculus was even a glint in a Kickstarter backer's eye. Nothing new here.

Edited by Dcubed

Let's see how many VR units are sold and how many amazing games there are for it before we starts questioning that comment.

No! Let's question it now. Why shouldn't we? Wouldn't it be better if Nintendo were actively pushing VR too, looking to create majestic worlds for us to explore?!

Having played Metroid Prime in VR I can safely say that they should be.

They should stop being reactive to the industry, playing catch up... and in some cases they re not yet caught up!

They should be proactive. Pushing boundaries. What happened to Nintendo the innovators?!