N-Europe

Switching Broadbands

Ashley

So when the big drama of August kicked off we got a new computer and signed up to Virgin broadband to tide us over as Virgin aren't 12 month contracted.

So now that all the stuff is back im trying to set it up so that we're back on Telewest but im coming up stuck. Maybe im just all fuzzy headed at the moment but I can't think why its not working.

I've got the Telewest modem all connected up as it was and the router set up. The only thing I can think of is we have a new router (that was also taken) and perhaps its because the new router is ADSL, but is Telewest? I can't remember :/

On the router admin panel thing (192.168.0.1 - that thing) its currently set up with my Virgin.net user details and thats all I ever put in, it figured out the rest itself. I tried changing it over to Telewest's login details but nada, it doesn't automatically configure to Telewest the way it did with Virgin.

Any help or guidance or brain clearance would be much appreciate, and soon please. Next Wednesday Virgin will charge me again for using their internet.

Telewest is Cable, a DSL modem/router wont work with it. Did you cancel your telewest account before, or just sign up for Virgin without doing anything? I think you can only have 1 BB connection on a phone line at a time. I'm pretty sure you'll need to cancel your Virgin account, get the Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) and then sign up for Telewest again.

Moria: We phoned Telewest asking if we could stop the account for a while and all other ideas but nada. I wanted to stick with them and eventually they gave us three months free. So technically we were still connected to Telewest even when we were on Virgin.

Odwin: We haven't switched phone lines, we've had the same phone line for Virgin and Telewest. Dunno who we're with though but it shouldn't make a difference.

I'll try and find the old router but its become loss under a lot of mess.

Hmm I've found the old router but still no joy. Heres what happened.

I can connect to Telewest through the modem they gave me. Thats fine and dandy on the main computer. However, if I go and connect the router as it was before it doesn't work. I went to the router's admin area but couldn't get it to work for the life of me. Im so muddled!

Hmm I've found the old router but still no joy. Heres what happened.

I can connect to Telewest through the modem they gave me. Thats fine and dandy on the main computer. However, if I go and connect the router as it was before it doesn't work. I went to the router's admin area but couldn't get it to work for the life of me. Im so muddled!

Phone them up and ask for the router settings. On my router there are loads of things to change, and there's no chance of guessing them.