NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pancake

Do you need a landline for internet?

I know this is prob a stupid question, but i'm techthick and i don't understand this stuff!

I'm moving into my own flat and basically i reeeeally don't want to have a landline phone, because i'll never use it. I'm really worried about all the bills, so i don't want the expense of a landline phone, i have a mobile and that's enough for me.

But is a landline phone still required to have internet on my laptop? People have told me it is, then others have told me "oh it's all wireless nowadays, you just need a dongle to connect via wifi".

Am so confused! Really don't want to have a landline, but i'll have to get one if it's the only way i can have internet?

Please help a techthick!

If it's fibre optic then you don't need a landline. Otherwise you do.

Some fibre optic packages also include telephone bundles so will state that a landline is needed but for a fibre optic broadband only deal you don't. Check virgin media for their broadband only deals. BT also offer fibre optic but I don't think they sell it without a phone package/line rental.

When people mention dongles they may mean mobile broadband. You don't need landline for this but it's generally not as fast or reliable as DSL.

Edited by MoogleViper

It's not required, but most places won't have any offers on broadband without it.

I think as Cube mentions some places charge more for the broadband if its without a line(but perfectly doable and still cheaper, at least with virginmedia anyhow). I think I recall looking at it when I took my bundle though and taking their phone line wasn't setting me out much more than a few quid each month, but that was kinda specific to me and the deals at the time.

Best way to find out - see what the big providers are offering!

EDIT: also consider issues that may arise due to the flat. Iirc @Charlie recently had some majorly annoying internet issues

Edited by Rummy

Depending on your needs you could get a 4G dongle/router and use internet on that without a landline. It would probably be cheaper unless you're a heavy user and need a large data allowance.

Thanks guys i'll try and look around all the deals and figure this out.

Thanks guys i'll try and look around all the deals and figure this out.

If you're unsure about what a deal specifically offers/requires then either post it here or feel free to PM me and I'll happily advise. Or I can help you find the best deal if you let me know your requirements.

Sign in to follow this