N-Europe

Next Level Games worked on a Metroid prototype before making LM2 instead!

Dcubed

I just can't help but have this feeling that there will be a lot of moaning over the fact that, when a new Metroid does finally come out, it will be a 2D sidescroller again.

It's NINTENDO's forté, but they already have soooo many 2D platformers that I too think it would be a shame to once again apply it on a franchise which also has a lot of potential outside of the 2D realm.

I'm not going to say this specific project was going to be an amazing game, but one thing in particular bothers me:

That’s because Nintendo wasn’t ready to move the franchise in the direction of a 2.5D side-scroller at the time (seemingly around 2012 or so).

Why not keep it 2D then? Why have Nintendo themselves stopped being able to make 2D (pixel art) games? The DS was perfect for them, as is the 3DS, but they've left it to other companies. The way Shantae moves in Pirate's Curse, that is the 3DS's 2D Metroid. It's staggering Nintendo is letting themselves be outclassed on their own platform.

I just can't help but have this feeling that there will be a lot of moaning over the fact that, when a new Metroid does finally come out, it will be a 2D sidescroller again.

It's NINTENDO's forté, but they already have soooo many 2D platformers that I too think it would be a shame to once again apply it on a franchise which also has a lot of potential outside of the 2D realm.

This is one 2D game that's actually desired more than most though. I agree Metroid has potential in 3D as well, but Nintendo has wasted the chance for 2D entries on the two machines that would actually suit them - DS and 3DS. By the time Nintendo gets their next handheld out, I might agree the lines have become more blurred between handheld and console Metroids, and we might get something like Prime, but why they never made Metroid Dread/Metroid V in the meantime I'll never know.

I doubt there would be any moaning because there hasn't really been a 2D side-scrolling Metroid for years. If It's along the lines of Super or Fusion, then I think it would be very welcome.

What would piss off fans is if they got Retro to make a 2D Metroid, then had them porting it to the 3DS and then had them making a follow up to it on the WiiU within a short space of time. :p

Metroid offers something completely different to their other platformers. Look at Super Metroid. It's very much a 2D adventure with some platforming elements. Prime is a 3D adventure with shooter and some platforming elements. They're hybrids. It's not as clear cut as Mario's get-to-the-choppa flag.

I'm shocked that there wasn't a proper Metroid for the DS and can't believe that there isn't one for the 3DS. It's a bit depressing as a Metroid fan.