NEurope
Goafer

The Patent System

It's official, the United States Patent Office is a joke

That patent has since been granted apparently. Whilst the patent mentions some very specific criteria and settings, it also states:

Many variations and modifications may be made to the above-described embodiment(s) without departing substantially from the spirit and principles of the disclosure. All such modifications and variations are intended to be included herein within the scope of this disclosure and protected by the following claims.

So basically, Amazon have been granted a patent copyrighting photography on a white background. It's a bit of a joke really, as well as pretty much unenforceable.

So basically, Amazon have been granted a patent copyrighting photography on a white background. It's a bit of a joke really, as well as pretty much unenforceable.

Not exactly. They just patented a technique of taking photos on a white background. Yes, they can't enforce it, but they have a quasi-understandable reason to do it, even though it still won't make sense:

(watch it from 5:49)

But really, using it as proof that the US Patent Office is broken is nothing new when you consider these previous filings:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-5-most-ridiculous-things-people-tried-to-patent/

http://www.cracked.com/article_20066_5-everyday-things-you-wont-believe-are-copyrighted.html

That's not to say the rest of their government branches are beacons of sound judgment, of course. :heh:

Not exactly. They just patented a technique of taking photos on a white background. Yes, they can't enforce it, but they have a quasi-understandable reason to do it, even though it still won't make sense:

I initially thought it was a certain technique, with a very specific (almost ludicrously so) setup, but that quote I posted earlier sounds quite vague.

It still doesn't change the fact that Amazon have been allowed to patent an artistic technique. Not a specific piece of art, but an actual method of producing it. Sure, it's a fairly boring method, but it sets precedent. What if I wanted to go out and lay claim to the way that I take photos? I often use certain settings when I take photos, so what's stopping me from claiming them? What's stopping other photographers from doing the same, until taking photos becomes a minefield of patented setups?

I know that's ludicrous, as it's unenforceable as previously mentioned, but then why was the patent granted if it's unenforceable? What if the next patent on creative methods is enforceable?

I think they're letting it pass because they just have to, kind of like how the "but there's nothing in the rulebook that says it can't!" cliché exists. Not granting it could mean the patent office takes sides, as silly as that may sound.

I think they're letting it pass because they just have to, kind of like how the "but there's nothing in the rulebook that says it can't!" cliché exists. Not granting it could mean the patent office takes sides, as silly as that may sound.

But it's their job to decline patents that are either too vague or too basic. If their "rulebook" allows this sort of thing, it's still a stupid system.

The patent office are themselves patent trolls! its like its run by stonners who laugh hysterically going what shit can we mess up today if we grant this?

I'm surprised they haven't been shut down, but whilst they are open, I'm tempted to have a vaguely worded attempt at patenting patent trolling, it could be the thing needed to stop such a thing...or make me rich

Is there a patent yet for filing a patent? If not, how do I file a patent? I don't want to infringe on that patent by filing the patent though.

Is there a patent yet for filing a patent? If not, how do I file a patent? I don't want to infringe on that patent by filing the patent though.

After looking at Arabs links....yes someone actually patented that with the US Patent office.....

Its depressing how that joke is accurate:blank:

Why Debug, that just sounds patently absurd!