N-Europe

IGN RUMOR - Nintendo may show new hardware at E3

canand

Haha!

Tbh, if they did announce a 3DS XL with a better screen I would buy it day 1, simply because I don't play my 3DS anymore because I just can't enjoy that screen size for games like Luigi's Mansion and Mario Golf, but the screen quality is very poor. It'd be Day 1 for me.

What if they had an 800x480 screen that size but it just doubled the resolution of everything through pixel perfect upscaling? Would that be sufficient for you?

Obviously they can't increase resolution of 3DS games themselves...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A redesign isn't what the 3DS needs really. The problems it faces are far more fundamental than anything like that...

amazon-gaming-pricing.jpg?w=640&h=425

It's this! The utter destruction of software value at the hands of things like mobile games...

Changing the hardware design isn't going to solve this problem (and neither will rushing out a successor for that matter! Nintendo fought tooth and nail to build up the audience they have and throwing that back to the mobile wolves this early would be suicide!)

They have to find a way to encourage people to put value in the quality of games once more and make them willing to pay for their games at the kinds of sustainable prices they need (either through traditional upfront payment or DLC), or else their software has no future. The problem is far more grave than just merely hardware sales or the specs of their hardware (which are still absolutely fine for the kinds of games that Nintendo and their 3rd party developers make). It's about making these people willing to pay premium prices for premium software. THAT is the great cataclysmic problem that Nintendo is currently facing and throwing away a 45-50 million audience at this early a point is just crazy when they have little else to fall back on while they build up that userbase from zero once again.

How does rushing out a 3DS successor encourage people to be willing to pay premium prices for premium software?

Edited by Dcubed

A redesign isn't what the 3DS needs really. The problems it faces are far more fundamental than anything like that...

amazon-gaming-pricing.jpg?w=640&h=425

It's this! The utter destruction of software value at the hands of things like mobile games...

Changing the hardware design isn't going to solve this problem (and neither will rushing out a successor for that matter! Nintendo fought tooth and nail to build up the audience they have and throwing that back to the mobile wolves this early would be suicide!)

They have to find a way to encourage people to put value in the quality of games once more and make them willing to pay for their games at the kinds of sustainable prices they need (either through traditional upfront payment or DLC), or else their software has no future. The problem is far more grave than just merely hardware sales or the specs of their hardware (which are still absolutely fine for the kinds of games that Nintendo and their 3rd party developers make). It's about making these people willing to pay premium prices for premium software. THAT is the great cataclysmic problem that Nintendo is currently facing and throwing away a 45-50 million audience at this early a point is just crazy!

How does rushing out a 3DS successor encourage people to be willing to pay premium prices for premium software?

Nintendo won't rush out a 3DS successor; they'll release it at the end of next year at the earliest. But yes, agreed on the rest. The thing is, even though the casuals have a market just for them with mobile gaming, Nintendo can still do very well with handhelds and home consoles but it's a case of being realistic. Selling 40m-50m of a console LTD will still get them a LOT of money. They will also be helped next gen as the home console and the handheld will have the same OS and architecture. It'll be more of incentive to buy both if you know you can your entire gaming library with you, on the go.

They do need to sort out pricing though. I think they've been caught out with the high price of gaming given how cheap other stuff is. It doesn't help most of this cheap/free software came to the forefront during the recession, where people were spending less. Stuff like Nintendo Club Football is great as it released so cheaply, but even then I've just been playing Football Chairman on my phone for FREE and haven't even got round to buying Nintendo Club Football. I doubt I ever will now, tbh. Even Mario Kart at £40 is bloody expensive.

Nintendo won't rush out a 3DS successor; they'll release it at the end of next year at the earliest. But yes, agreed on the rest. The thing is, even though the casuals have a market just for them with mobile gaming, Nintendo can still do very well with handhelds and home consoles but it's a case of being realistic. Selling 40m-50m of a console LTD will still get them a LOT of money. They will also be helped next gen as the home console and the handheld will have the same OS and architecture. It'll be more of incentive to buy both if you know you can your entire gaming library with you, on the go.

They do need to sort out pricing though. I think they've been caught out with the high price of gaming given how cheap other stuff is. It doesn't help most of this cheap/free software came to the forefront during the recession, where people were spending less. Stuff like Nintendo Club Football is great as it released so cheaply, but even then I've just been playing Football Chairman on my phone for FREE and haven't even got round to buying Nintendo Club Football. I doubt I ever will now, tbh. Even Mario Kart at £40 is bloody expensive.

Well yeah, that's why they're focusing heavily on digital and pushing hard on special promotions and the like. That's why they're doing all these different experiments with things like NPFC's cheap price on the eShop (it was a full priced retail game in Japan) and the early purchase discount, or things like the Mario Kart 8 promotion, or Steel Diver Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

They're going all out on finding different methods of mitigating the problem (cause they obviously can't start giving away high quality games for 69p/Free and they don't want to make scam style F2P games or shitware).

It's fairly safe to say that it'll be a real struggle to get any successor to the 3DS to sell as well as their current handheld has, given the changing environment; so it's about finding ways of adapting without throwing away everything that makes Nintendo who they are...

Well yeah, that's why they're focusing heavily on digital and pushing hard on special promotions and the like. That's why they're doing all these different experiments with things like NPFC's cheap price on the eShop (it was a full priced retail game in Japan) and the early purchase discount, or things like the Mario Kart 8 promotion, or Steel Diver Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

They're going all out on finding different methods of mitigating the problem (cause they obviously can't start giving away high quality games for 69p/Free and they don't want to make scam style F2P games or shitware).

It's fairly safe to say that it'll be a real struggle to get any successor to the 3DS to sell as well as their current handheld has, given the changing environment; so it's about finding ways of adapting without throwing away everything that makes Nintendo who they are...

Fo sho. The MK8 promotion is sweet and almost as good as what Sony do with PS+, where you get some recent titles for free on each system. It's way beyond anything I can recall Microsoft ever doing. Here's to more of it!

Fo sho. The MK8 promotion is sweet and almost as good as what Sony do with PS+, where you get some recent titles for free on each system. It's way beyond anything I can recall Microsoft ever doing. Here's to more of it!

Free Virtual Console titles on the eShop when you digitally download the game is pretty awesome, too.

Free Virtual Console titles on the eShop when you digitally download the game is pretty awesome, too.

It's a start but they are, presumably, very old titles. Look at some of the titles that Sony give out on PS+. A lot of them are very new and very good games. Someone mentioned that PES 2014 was on the list last month, that's a game that's only 6 months old.