N-Europe

Pokemon Wii U Rumour

Falcon_BlizZACK

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Pokémon in a game like this would simply be roaming the environment. They wouldn't simply spawn. They could have their own habits - they eat food, drink water and act like animals. While Skyrim doesn't do this, there are mods, made by individual people, which add a ton of extra creatures and gives them all habits so they all continue acting behind the scenes (which works really well with hunting mods). The Pokémon would simply be a lot more common than creatures in Skyrim (which is empty because of the setting), but not as common as in the Pokémon games.

Finding rare Pokémon would be about figuring out where it would be in the world at the right time of the day/year.

I can accept most points, but the rare pokémon solution... I am talking about searching for a certain Pokémon until you finally find one (like Pikachu). What you're suggesting is more like an event Pokémon, like specific legendaries (Also, pokémon appearing at different times of day already happens, and it's no substitute for traditional rarity at all).

exposure of the series

Just a quick bit, because this argument has popped up before, but I don't get it: what do you mean, exposure? For Pokémon? Are you implying that there are people that do not know Pokémon and how popular it is?

Or are you talking awareness about the Wii U? Because if it's that, I don't think even that'll work.

If I'm being honest, I don't think Pokémon games have an 'immense scale' like has been implied. Most of the scenery is fairly basic and often constructed of repeating tiles or objects. I think the whole 'it would have less stuff/more spread out content in it on home console' is just a weird thing to say. The games aren't really packed to begin with.

Density, not scale. You're absolutely right, they're really small for exploration, Pokémon has never been about the places, but about the creatures that live there.

Also, if you think the games aren't packed with things to do, I really don't know what to say. Even in Gold&Silver, which I played every day, I kept finding so many things that internet guides barely mentioned at all, it was immense. And the amount of content (maybe content-per-tile? :heh:) has increased since then.

You can also look at 2D to 3D transitions (which would be one of the major impacts of handheld to console) with games like Dragon Quest VIII. Having it on console worked wonders in terms of immersion. It was top class.

Or Pokémon Black to Pokémon X. I don't think 3D is in question anymore.

Just a quick bit, because this argument has popped up before, but I don't get it: what do you mean, exposure? For Pokémon? Are you implying that there are people that do not know Pokémon and how popular it is?

Or are you talking awareness about the Wii U? Because if it's that, I don't think even that'll work.

Exposure meaning, I believe not everyone is a fan of handheld gaming and own only home consoles. I believe there is an opportunity there to make the series more inclusive, being effectively a multi-platform title.

And I do believe having a strong Pokemon title(s) on the Wii U will enhance its presence and relevance in the industry.

I can accept most points, but the rare pokémon solution... I am talking about searching for a certain Pokémon until you finally find one (like Pikachu). What you're suggesting is more like an event Pokémon, like specific legendaries (Also, pokémon appearing at different times of day already happens, and it's no substitute for traditional rarity at all).

What I mean is that all Pokémon has scripts which determine their "route". They're always somewhere in the world and they don't vanish at certain times - they just move to different locations.

Exposure meaning, I believe not everyone is a fan of handheld gaming and own only home consoles. I believe there is an opportunity there to make the series more inclusive, being effectively a multi-platform title.

And I do believe having a strong Pokemon title(s) on the Wii U will enhance its presence and relevance in the industry.

I think that if they don't like to bother with handheld gaming, they're a risky market to try and win over (since playing something like Pokémon isn't likely to be their interests anyway, I mean they're perfectly aware of what it is, what it's about and how popular it is), but we'll agree to disagree.

Regarding your second point, it's fair. I was just being facetious about the Wii U's chances of improving sales :heh: The whole reason I bought an N64 back in the day was because of Pokémon Stadium, so it's definitely a relevant point.

What I mean is that all Pokémon has scripts which determine their "route". They're always somewhere in the world and they don't vanish at certain times - they just move to different locations.

Like roaming Pokémon? The main games also do that (except they don't have set schedules, their route is erratic, and you can track them instead). So, if I wanted a Pikachu in this hypothetical game, you're suggesting I try to find their route, and once I do, there's tons of them on sight?

I think that if they don't like to bother with handheld gaming, they're a risky market to try and win over (since playing something like Pokémon isn't likely to be their interests anyway, I mean they're perfectly aware of what it is, what it's about and how popular it is), but we'll agree to disagree.

Regarding your second point, it's fair. I was just being facetious about the Wii U's chances of improving sales :heh: The whole reason I bought an N64 back in the day was because of Pokémon Stadium, so it's definitely a relevant point.

Like roaming Pokémon? The main games also do that (except they don't have set schedules, their route is erratic, and you can track them instead). So, if I wanted a Pikachu in this hypothetical game, you're suggesting I try to find their route, and once I do, there's tons of them on sight?

Thats a good point though - But being available won't hurt anyone, I feel. Especially at times like these, and especially given the fact Nintendo home consoles barely have rpg-like adventures.

I want to ask what people think is the reasoning behind Smash Bros being released on both systems and what the risks are?

Thats a good point though - But being available won't hurt anyone, I feel. Especially at times like these, and especially given the fact Nintendo home consoles barely have rpg-like adventures.

I tend to forget Pokémon is an RPG :heh: I usually think of it as its own genre.

I want to ask what people think is the reasoning behind Smash Bros being released on both systems and what the risks are?

I can't say I'm sure. It never really made sense to me, releasing a fighting game on a handheld. If you had asked me before its announcement, I would've said it wouldn't happen.

My best guess is that they're finally taking online seriously, which would make the 3DS version a sensible path to take, but even then, it's two versions of almost-the-same game.

I tend to forget Pokémon is an RPG :heh: I usually think of it as its own genre.

I can't say I'm sure. It never really made sense to me, releasing a fighting game on a handheld. If you had asked me before its announcement, I would've said it wouldn't happen.

My best guess is that they're finally taking online seriously, which would make the 3DS version a sensible path to take, but even then, it's two versions of almost-the-same game.

hmm, I'm hoping there ae deals.. like if you buy it on one console you get a digital d/l version of the other version at a heavily discounted rate...