NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

New Hobbies

I was listening to the Giant Bombcast this week and Vinny's chat with Will Smith of Tested.com about making stuff out of wood like tables, jewellery boxes, MAME cabinets and it made me think I need a new hobby!

So I put it to you N-Europe, what hobbies do you guys that doesn't involve reading or sitting in front of a screen?

I'm starting to get back into LEGO, so I guess you could say one of my hobbies is never having any money.

We go Geocaching a bit when the weather is better? I guess that counts...

Definitely on the scout for more hobbies though. Suggest 'em up!

Edited by Guy

Exercise! In particular for me, running. You can probably start with what you have now - all you need is some trainers, shorts and a tshirt, and to go outside and plod. As time goes on the hobby can evolve and if you stick with it you'll want to track your runs by GPS, buy clothes that are lighter and don't stick to you in rain, socks that don't give you blisters, trainers that are more comfortable, vary your training, run up hills, enter races, join a club, get your core strengthened, and so on. But for now, you've got all you need. Just get outside. (Also, a 10km run (done in under an hour after a few months training even for me) is a lot of chocolate.)

Cross stitch and baking. I've baked 10 things already this year from muffins to brioche to brownies. I made Ashley a birthday cake yesterday, damn well near killed me but it looks pretty rad. Marble cake with white chocolate buttercream icing.

Oh yeah, and the gym. I love powerlifting.

Exercise! In particular for me, running. You can probably start with what you have now - all you need is some trainers, shorts and a tshirt, and to go outside and plod. As time goes on the hobby can evolve and if you stick with it you'll want to track your runs by GPS, buy clothes that are lighter and don't stick to you in rain, socks that don't give you blisters, trainers that are more comfortable, vary your training, run up hills, enter races, join a club, get your core strengthened, and so on. But for now, you've got all you need. Just get outside. (Also, a 10km run (done in under an hour after a few months training even for me) is a lot of chocolate.)

Never been a more inappropriate suggestion! It's currently -24 outside! Oh Canada!

I have run in the past and enjoyed it. I am on a health kick at the moment, currently taking a few weeks off the gym as works been super hectic and I've been getting back from work after it closes however things changing next week so I'm back on Sunday.

I have quite a few hobbies:

Drawing, usually it's digital art but can be painting too. Dan bought me a lino printing kit for my birthday so I'm looking forward to using that.

Board Games, technically Dan's hobby but I always play with him.

(cute picture that relates to this)

1604602_10153782483885144_1407549328_n.jpg

Baking and Cooking I like to make nice food for other people, last week I made some brownies for my birthday party, and this week I made Masala Dosa for some vegetarian friends who came round for tea.

Gardening For the past two years I've been really into gardening. It's really therapeutic and I guess it's a form of art. This year I plan on combining this with growing my own vegetables! The garden in our new house is tiny and a bit of a mud bath at the moment, so it's going to be a challenge.

I also keep two chickens who now lay eggs, I guess that's also a bit of a hobby as I got them when they were in the egg, and saw them hatch and grow. My plan is to eventually have two breeds of chicken in two separate coops.

Eventually I want to get into woodwork and general DIY. My Dad did up the entire house, he built a conservatory, fitted the bathroom and also made all the units himself for the kitchen. I want to be able to do a bit of that too.

Sign in to follow this