NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Project M: Awesome Smash Bros Mod

Cheers Rummy. Was running it off HDD. Have all relevant CMIOS etc. mods running on our original Wii.

Our black Wii (newer version for the family) hasn't been touched soI'll keep tinkering with the launch Wii. I Will try the NTSC Disk first as have both PAL and NTSC versions of the game so have plenty of options.

When trying through USB Loader GX it was giving me save data errors in the loader, before launch. I'd deleted the SD content in stage maker (including originals too) but this was a loader issue. Saw some guy asking about it on another site but the replies weren't related. As I say, I'll try again at some point and let you know.

In the meantime, impressions please! :)

Oh...well you got much further than me then! Can you boot just NTSC Brawl with USB loader, no mods etc?

Played a couple matches(stock with time limit) with Dedede and Marcamillian today, enjoyable stuff. Liking some of the separated out characters, though it was really only just a few matches so not a big heavy sesh to see all it had to offer. Definitely feels different, but still quite Brawlish(poss due to stages and items) - again we're not pro-melee heads with all the wavedashing and stuff so there's probably differences in it that we'll never even notice. Nice to have something breathing a bit of fresh life into Brawl though.

Edited by Rummy

Yeah, able to boot brawl from HDD with no mods.

Sounds good. New stages/characters is enough for me. And speed. Missed the frantic nature of melee.

Well then I'm totally flumoxed! I downloaded the latest set from Project M's page(apparently released 10th january) - Homebrew Option ZIP(full set); dropped that one's contents to my SD card's root then did the bits in USBLoader as said in the earlier guide(setting Ocarina to ON and Hooktype to VBI(default) under Loader Settings). Next time I booted...it worked!

Before that my error was not having all the cIOS bits maybe? I used some batch installer to get it all done, from a link from the earlier guide(wasn't too clear I needed this though, hence my problems).

so I got this game and at first I didn't really enjoy it but I tried it out with my friends and now I think it's great! The only downside is that the Pokemon don't have their Final Smashes anymore :( Also Mewtwo's final smash is ridiculous, it's probably even stronger than Super Sonic :eek: I wonder if we'll see the changes from this game into the new Smash Bros, I don't know if I can go back to playing Sonic without his instant foot dive and improved homing attack

If anyone wants to play then let me know! I'm gonna put on the WiFi codeset then find out my friend code and post it here in a bit.

My friend code is 3913-1174-2216

Edited by f00had

I managed to get this going tonight. I'm glad I kept a hold of my NTSC copy of Brawl all these years!

I really like it. I like how it doesn't try to completely imitate Melee and retains some of the Brawl feel, but the new mechanics make it fast and flowing. I just love being able to combo and play my aggressive style which would just not work in Brawl.

I haven't played as all the characters yet, but I am in love with Wario. Lots of poweful high priority moves and a pretty easy to use meteor smash (another thing I like is how gravity has been turned up so you can now do some proper edge-guarding like in Melee).

I would play lots more of this if I had someone to play with! @Goron_3 get over to my place and we'll Smash like it's 2006.

Great to hear you've got it running!!! I look forward to our inevitable Marth-Falco matches ;)

Out of interest, how does it play on a HDTV? I ask because Melee was so laggy on HD sets but I never had the chance to play Brawl on one...

That depends entirely on your TV. Try enabling game mode to reduce input lag.

Me and @Calv played this online the other day, it worked pretty well and the online lag wasn't too bad.

That depends entirely on your TV. Try enabling game mode to reduce input lag.

Me and @Calv played this online the other day, it worked pretty well and the online lag wasn't too bad.

Yeah I think Brawl was fine on my TV. Melee is unplayable on HD sets which is frustrating as it means I always need to dig out a CRT whenever I want to play it :( It must be a nightmare organising Melee tournaments lol.

Glad to see so many people are enjoying this game though! Look forward to getting my hands on Marth and Roy :D

Like foohad said, it depends on the TV. Most low-end to medium-end TVs will probably suffer from a significant amount of input lag, even in "Game Mode". It doesn't matter what game you're playing, the input lag will be the same across all of them. It's only really noticeable in Melee because of how fast it is and it being 60fps.

I have no problems playing it on my 42" Panasonic (it has an input lag of ~16ms).

Like foohad said, it depends on the TV. Most low-end to medium-end TVs will probably suffer from a significant amount of input lag, even in "Game Mode". It doesn't matter what game you're playing, the input lag will be the same across all of them. It's only really noticeable in Melee because of how fast it is and it being 60fps.

I have no problems playing it on my 42" Panasonic (it has an input lag of ~16ms).

Out of interest mate, are there any characters that feel better/worse than their melee/brawl counterparts? From what I've seen most characters seem to have been buffed.

Out of interest mate, are there any characters that feel better/worse than their melee/brawl counterparts? From what I've seen most characters seem to have been buffed.

Most characters feel buffed compared to Brawl, but that may be down to the general mechanics changes. The majority of the Melee veterans play very similarly to how they play in Melee.

The two characters I've noticed a big difference are Lucario and Mewtwo. Lucario feels like a completely different character - he plays like a tradition fighting game character in that he can link together his attacks so fluently. Mewtwo seems a lot stronger and sturdier than he was in Melee and I think his tail has got a bit longer.

The only character that seems to have been nerfed more than buffed is Meta Knight.

They have a list of all the changes on the website: http://projectmgame.com/en/characters

Yoshi feels worse because his egg throw attack no longer pops him up like it did in Brawl and Lucas just feels really different compared to Brawl since he's less floaty... Everyone else I've tried seems better.

Most characters feel buffed compared to Brawl, but that may be down to the general mechanics changes. The majority of the Melee veterans play very similarly to how they play in Melee.

The two characters I've noticed a big difference are Lucario and Mewtwo. Lucario feels like a completely different character - he plays like a tradition fighting game character in that he can link together his attacks so fluently. Mewtwo seems a lot stronger and sturdier than he was in Melee and I think his tail has got a bit longer.

The only character that seems to have been nerfed more than buffed is Meta Knight.

MetaKnight doesn't surprise me I suppose. Ah, can't wait!

They have a list of all the changes on the website: http://projectmgame.com/en/characters

Yoshi feels worse because his egg throw attack no longer pops him up like it did in Brawl and Lucas just feels really different compared to Brawl since he's less floaty... Everyone else I've tried seems better.

Thanks a lot, I didn't realise how much info was on the site. I like how they made the 'poor' characters better; it's no wonder why the Project M tournament at Apex 2014 had such a variety of characters.

Sign in to follow this