N-Europe

Capcom Europe To Cut More Than 50% Of Its Staff

Wii

Capcom Europe To Cut More Than 50% Of Its Staff

It has emerged that Capcom Europe is planning to cut half of its staff in a major restructure following a difficult year. The western branch of the acclaimed studio has suffered from a number of high-profile titles not performing to the company’s expectations. More than half of the European arm faces redundancy, with a number of jobs set to merge.

“Following a restructure at its US operation, Capcom’s European organisation is currently evaluating its structure to ensure it is in the best position to take advantage of the changing market conditions the industry is facing.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/03/capcom-europe-to-cut-more-than-50-of-its-staff/

Shame in a way, I really like Monster Hunter but Capcom have treated Nintendo console owners badly for a long time. They're in a real bad way last I heard they'd less than $150 milliion in the bank. Nintendo should buy them out as they've got brilliant franchises and that way we could get for example a Street Fighter on a home console for the first time since the SNES.

Edited by Wii

Goddamn that's brutal :( No doubt that'll impact on localisations too :cry:

Capcom's really in a bad place right now, having to rely on platform holders to offer them development support & funding to get almost all of their upcoming games out (but that's a matter for the general gaming forums really...)

Edit: Go figure, Ike thought so too :p

Not really related to the Wii U so I moved it to its own thread.

Thanks. Yeah, wasn't sure if I should create a thread for this topic.

Regarding their $150 million, it sounds like a lot but when you consider that GTA5 cost more to make it puts it in perspective. Monster Hunter 4 sales should help alleviate the problems a little but they're a few major titles bombing away from extinction.

All part of the whole AAA big budget title mentality methinks, the sales revenue just do not touch some of the these production costs. I do, however, second the opinion of Nintendo snatching them up if the oppurtunity presents. Of course, I'm biased in that thought given I'm playing through Oracle of Ages at the moment :P