NEurope
Choze

Games for Windows Live is shutting down on July 1 2014

MS's promises carry a lot of weight...

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-Shutting-Down-GFWL-July-1st-2014-Why-People-Fear-Xbox-One-58433.html

Microsoft added and then removed a blurb on the official Xbox Support website indicating that Games for Windows Live will be discontinued starting July 1st of next year. This follows suit with the recent closing of the Games for Windows Marketplace shutting down this week, too.

While we're all glad that GFWL will be closing its doors, with it comes another problem: only a few games are migrating to Steamworks (e.g., BioShock 2, Batman: Arkham City) while the rest haven't migrated yet and no announcements have been made about the migration.

What this means is that when Games for Windows Live support ends next year, any game that hasn't had its DRM removed or replaced with a more up-to-date or current system, will have features that will no longer be accessible by anyone or the games themselves will become unplayable.

Single-player games that require a login authentication to the GFWL servers will no longer be playable, just as games that require multiplayer login authentication through GFWL will no longer be accessible. This isn't hyperbole or some pessimistic anti-DRM talk, this is reality and reality kicks in starting July 1st, 2014.

It will be interesting to see which publishers and developers decide to screw consumers over.

For current games to work without Live after shut-down, updates are required.

I have a few games that work with it.. 3 I think. I hope they keep working after that, but if they don’t, it’s not a huge loss.

I finally downloaded the sequel to Blacklight: Tango down, and no one is playing that game anyway. I bought Resident Evil 5 twice in a steam sale, so no big loss there, I might have another run before the service closes. The last one is Universe at war. As long as the single player campaign remains intact, I’m happy.

God I hated that service. If I knew RE5 would require it I would not have bought it from Steam. The client was so slow and cumbersome.

I'm pretty sure all singleplayer parts of games will be fine.

Not all. If it's behind Live's authentication the game needs to be patched. Why some games actually did this is beyond me.

I don't think Microsoft can afford another DRM outrage so soon after the last.

Fallout 3 is probably my only GFWL game...and i think thats okay

this is not good for MS

How ironic that Microsoft themselves are the ones to remind and show us how online digital rights management is a shitty path to go down.