NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Dreamfall chapters: the longest journey

Sorry, can’t be bothered to do a proper opening post. When I can, I’ll edit this post. The sequel to The longest journey and Dreamfall: the longest journey. A 3rd person adventure with point & click roots. It was a very successful Kickstarter project some months ago, one which I backed. I thought I already had made a thread about it, but apparently I only posted about it on this forum in the Kickstarter thread. And now it has been confirmed it’s coming to WiiU as well, which is why I’m posting it here rather than in the other consoles forum. The game will be released end of 2014.

Edit 14-07-2018:

Since I'm bumping this thread anyway, I edited in the trailer for the final cut.

https://www.redthreadgames.com/dreamfall-chapters

https://www.redthreadgames.com/

Edited by Sméagol

Quick but important update: Releasedate is 21 October.

But some changes have been made during production, for those who haven't kept up with the news: the game is going episodic.

I also don´t know what the status of the Wii U port is, since (regarding consoles) the game will be a PS4 exclusive for a while.

I´ll create a better OP in the weekend, and include all the new and relevant info.

Edit: @mods.. Perhaps it´s better to put this in the other consoles thread for the time being. If a Wii U port ever sees the light of day, we can put it back.

Edited by Sméagol

@mods, the game is unlikely to come to WiiU at this point, so please move the thread to "other consoles".

Anyway, I´ve played this a few hours before the official release, but it´s now generally available on Steam and GoG for € 30,- (or € 35,- for the special edition). Is it worth it?

I´d say absolutely. Few technical issues aside, the gameworld is incredibly detailed and polished.. Art design and setpieces are lovely. I walked for quite a bit (as opposed to running) through the city, soaking up the atmosphere. Listening in on people´s discussions. There´s even a hilarious singer songwriter I spent at least 5 minutes listening to.

The gameplay is similar to Dreamfall. If you´ve played that, you feel right at home mostly.. For those who haven´t; it´s a 3rd person point & click adventure. You click on things or persons to interact with them, and solve puzzles. Works fine overall, although since you don´t have a specific pointer, it´s sometimes a bit confusing what stuff you can interact with and what stuff you can´t. Also the icons aren´t explained at first, but you can figure them out through trial and error.

The music is amazing. Check the trailers to get a taste. The soundtrack is available with the special edition, and I´d say the price is worth it for the soundtrack alone. There is the aforementioned singer songwriter (apparently a real artist) who has 3 songs before he starts to loop, the soundtrack itself is amazing, and then there are various other bits of music like stuff you hear outside of the clubs and bars, making the city feel alive.

Then of course there´s the story and dialogue. I haven´t replayed the previous 2 games (yet), and I have a bad memory, so even for me a lot of references went over my head. The good news is that the game is fully enjoyable without the knowledge. Furthermore, they´re working on some sort of recap of the previous 2 games, in a similar vein to Mass Effect I suppose, so you won´t have to play the games if you don´t want to. I still recommend you do, you´ll miss some of the intrigue. Book 1 (out of 5 total) contains 2 chapters and a prologue and interlude, and it´s the last 2 that will benefit the most of having knowledge of the previous games. The game generally follows Zoë and Kian, both from Dreamfall, but the interlude has a 3rd (and new) playable character, in a setting that will be familiar to those who have played The longest journey. Telltale games had some influence on the direction of the game, the focus on storytelling (although of course the games already had this), but now the episodic structure, and especially the choice & consequence factor. For those who were a bit disappointed with this in The walking dead, I have good news: Red Thread games seem to take this seriously and offer some real branching lines. After looking at their forum after playing Book 1, it seems I totally missed some characters and puzzles, based on the first major choice I made.

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend the game. Go buy it if you like adventures and good stories and dialogue.

I absolutely loved the 1st two games and, like many others, have been waiting for the third game to follow up on the story that had left me with so much intrigue. Plus, it's one of the few games in which my other half got into and enjoyed as well! She'll be delighted to know it's now out and a game we can actually enjoy together.

Pleased to see so e good first impressions. Does anyone know if this is out on PS4 yet or whether a release date has been set?

No release date has been announced. They estimate it´s going to be released after Book 2 has been released on PC.

No release date has been announced. They estimate it´s going to be released after Book 2 has been released on PC.

Drat. Can I wait that long....?

Cheers for that Sméagol, appreciate the response.

40% off on Steam (or 25% if you want the special edition which comes with the excellent soundtrack).

Haven't posted anything about ep 2 apparently, and I won't now: ep 3 is out, as of now.

I'll report when it's downloaded and played.

And.......... This can definitely be moved out the Nintendo forums and into the other consoles thread (unfortunately, but alas).

It's been delayed a little longer on PS4... :-(

Looking forward to reading the impressions of Book 3 though, hope it's good!

I played chapters years ago along with the longest journey and dreamfall. Really underrated games.

You're just getting this now? was that a kickstarter thing?

On 14/07/2018 at 7:08 PM, martinist said:

I played chapters years ago along with the longest journey and dreamfall. Really underrated games.

You're just getting this now? was that a kickstarter thing?

Yeah. A regular retail version for PS4 and PC was released some time ago (I'm guessing last year, around the time of the final cut), but the Kickstarter specific physical copies were only sent out earlier this year. I think something went wrong with mine and was delayed even more for some reason. Anyway, I got a much nicer cover, one which fits with the cover from Dreamfall limited edition.

Edited by Sméagol

Sign in to follow this