NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Finding/deleting duplicate photos on PC?

Well all, I've come to realise...I've got a metric f*ckton of photos on my computer. Backed up SD cards, various SD cards, photos from here, photos from there, photos half sorted, photos not sorted etc.

Basically, I have LOADS OF PHOTOS. I think it's about time I went through them, did some social media uploads so I can be cool and more importantly get the friends who keep telling me to upload them off my back. It's messy though, and I need to weed out/have an easy way to find the dupes and stuff and clean up after.

Sooo....I've rambled. Does anyone know/use decent programs for finding duplicate photos and possibly deleting the dupes into the nether? It needs to hopefully somehow find EXACT dupes, not just similar looking photos(that'll be too ridiculous for my photo...hoard).

Anything you'd recommend? Also does anyone who's ever done a mass photo sort on their computer before have any good sorting tips/hints/methods to take? I'm essentially thinking I might make a mass copy, reduce them all to one folder, then sort from there...all over again. It's tricky, I should have dealth with these along the way.

I don’t know of such programs, I think you’ll have to clean up your computer manually, and be organised from this point. To help with the latter, you can use a program such as Lightroom. Perhaps your camera came with similar software as well. And perhaps these programs actually have a function like the one you want right now..

There are loads of duplicate photo programs out there. I used to use one, but i can't remember the name of it, but they all do pretty much the same task. Maybe search for one that find EXACT duplicates.

A quick search brings up this, which has an exact duplicate option.

I don't know how good that one is, it might not have a good visual method of browsing through duplicates....

I don’t know of such programs, I think you’ll have to clean up your computer manually, and be organised from this point. To help with the latter, you can use a program such as Lightroom. Perhaps your camera came with similar software as well. And perhaps these programs actually have a function like the one you want right now..

Lightroom eh? I've never looked at any camera software really - always preferred to not install stuff when I don't need it(and mostly I'd do the whole mass storage route). Might look into it though, thanks.

There are loads of duplicate photo programs out there. I used to use one, but i can't remember the name of it, but they all do pretty much the same task. Maybe search for one that find EXACT duplicates.

A quick search brings up this, which has an exact duplicate option.

I don't know how good that one is, it might not have a good visual method of browsing through duplicates....

Indeed, I had one before too! I came across a few 'duplicate photo finders' with a google, but saw reports on most of malware(assuming it to be the same piece of software). I've done some manual tidying and I'll keep on looking for something...

There's Auslogics duplicate file finder (link) which should work fine, I've tested in the past but never deleted anything.

CCleaner also has a duplicate file finder but can't remember how good the filter is (on my Chromebook so can't check).

Not 100% sure they'll do exactly they do what you need them to do since I haven't used either much.

Sign in to follow this