NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Trying to download temp(?) files

I've been going through my phone and deleting old stuff, but trying to open some files it tells me there's not enough space on the disk (the SDD), all the whilst noticing the free space go lower and lower. So I've been copying it over to my other hard drive and having to watch it there.

I've restarted the system thinking it would clear the cache or whatever but it doesn't seem to have done anything, and there's nothing standing out in the C: > Temp folder.

On the same vein I have some things I'm not sure if I can delete safely, namely the second Program Files folder, named Program Files (x86) and the Windows.old folder. Can I delete them without compromising the other systems?

The .old folder is something from when you (presumably) upgraded your windows OS. It gives you an oppurtunity to roll back should anything go wrong with the new one i believe.

If you do decide to delete it, you should probably have a recovery/back-up disk somewhere in case something ever goes wrong...if you are feeling lucky punk however, i think deleting it will produce no ill effects straight away.

Have you tried CCleaner? It should get rid of old Temp files and clear up some space, it's pretty good.

I don't know about Program Files (x86) as i don't have that....perhaps its from upgrading too?

Program Files (x86) is where your 32 bit programs go on a 64 bit system.

Guessing your title was meant to be "delete" rather than download and your first sentence was meant to read "computer" rather than phone :confused:

Unless I'm wrong on that, check out WinDirStat, pretty good program for finding out which folders are taking up the most space.

Keep the x86 folder, it's for 32bit programs. Deleting that will probably break something.

You can delete windows.old safely, but keep a backup like Bob suggested incase you need to roll back if you've upgraded recently, if you upgraded a while ago then just delete it.

Program Files (x86) is where your 32 bit programs go on a 64 bit system.

Guessing your title was meant to be "delete" rather than download and your first sentence was meant to read "computer" rather than phone :confused:

Unless I'm wrong on that, check out WinDirStat, pretty good program for finding out which folders are taking up the most space.

Yeah it was meant to be delete ¬_¬, it's been awhile since I've gone over to Windows 7, which is kinda weird since it was freshly installed on the SSD with no OS installed on it previously.

I've copied it over to my other hard drive and gonna delete it now... here goes!

Sign in to follow this