N-Europe

Windows XP freezes on "Logging off..." screen

Meroigo

DCK: I don't believe it's that. I have NOD32 with the latest virus definitions on both computers, Kerio Personal Firewall on both computers and a router with built-in firewall. I never get viruses or shit like that. Yes, I have scanned the computers. My other computer had this problem too, before I got a new one, and that time, I scanned it too (AdAware for the potential adwares).

Yes, I have. I believe there is a driver error on some shutdowns or something like that. All of my drivers are as far as I know up to date. Maybe It'll stop if I reinstall Windows, repairing the existing installation. But I'm afraid of doing that, because the last time I did it, a new Windows was installed in another folder, and I got to choose what Windows I wanted to start etc. The new Windows also messed up everything. Stupid when I selected to repair and reinstall the current installation, and not install a complete new one. >_< =S

Yeah, M$ really has screwed up the setup in win xp. If you try to repair the existing installation, you can try to do it from console if you press "r" in one of the first screens. haven't actually used that, because there are easier ways to repair the installation.

If I remember correctly, you can repair the existing installation automatically by selecting the drive where the windows is currently installed. The installer will then ask if you want to repair the installation or install a new one. (Installing new one could erase your current installation of windows if my memory serves me right)

Someone actually made a test, where a normal computer user (uses e-mail, does spreadsheets etc. but doesn't have any deeper knowledge of PC's) installs first windows 2000 pro and then linux. Don't remember what the distro of linux was, but the conclusion was that linux is actually easier to install.

Bogbas: If it just continues to be screwed up, I guess I'm gonna try repairing it or something.

Moria: The 2GHz computer did I allways use the Windows XP CD that came with it, but on the new one I got some weeks ago, the one with AMD64 X2 4400+, had Windows XP preinstalled on it already (and it came with a Windows XP CD that I have never used). But I guess the company we got the computer from installs everything on one computer, and then uses some ghost software to make exact clones on every other computer, and because of that, everyone else must've got problems with their Windows too. But I haven't seen anything about my problems on the support website we have. They post news as soon as they discover problems, and solutions for them etc there.

Mybe it's some software you use. I've had tons of problems with free virus scanners/firewalls. So I just bought (well technically didn't bought it because the license came with a magazine subscription) a commercial one and it works like a charm.

Try this: disconnect the pc from internet and uninstall kerio, then try to shutdown. If it now shuts down normally, then try to find another firewall program.

Pit-Jr: My computers are on most of the time too, but I have like 6 users on both computers, it's my family's, and sometimes when someone loggs off from their user, it freezes. My user's logged on on both computers all of the time though (because I run a webserver program, want to be online 24:7 on IRC and MSN Messenger etc, no one else in the family does, that's why I'm the only one logged on all of the time ;P).

Bogbas: I think I had this problem even before I got Kerio. No one I know of that uses Kerio has this problem. And the antivirus software I have is the best one out there, NOD32, and is not free. But I recently got a router (because I got a new computer and needed one), and I heard that you don't need a software firewall when you got one, is that true? Maybe I can uninstall Kerio on both computer and be happy with the built-in firewall in the router? And the freezing thing doesn't happen often, so the "try this" thing you had will not make me certain if it has stopped. But of course, I want it to stop completely, because no computer likes being turned off in the wrong way.

• 3 weeks later...

This is usually nothing to do with viruses at all. Could be anything from software or hardware clashes to programs not shutting down properly.

Couple of solutions:

Right click my computer > Manage > Event viewer

sw_hw_clashes.jpg

Any problems will usually appear with a red warning icon. If you find a lot of these you may find this could be the cause.

Theres also another solution, but this is a registry hack and can screw up windows big-style if you go round messing with all the settings.

Go to Start > Run > type regedit

h_key.jpg

HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop

Then on the right is the AutoEndTasks

If you change it to 1 this will automatically shut down and programs on the menu bar when you go to shut down/log off. As it is set, windows will wait until the programs close themselves or you tell them to close.

OR

In the REGEDIT:

h_key_2.jpg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control

And on the right is WaitToKillService. This value is in milliseconds.

Take precaution changing this file.

Take it down in small increments (maybe 500's or 1,000's) and each time you do check it shuts down right. Don't make it any smaller than 6,000.

Oh yeah, sorry for bumping this thread.