NEurope
Retro_Link

BAFTA Games Nominees

2013-bafta-nominations-announced-125161-470-75.jpg

The nominees for this year's BAFTA Game Awards have been revealed, with 53 games being recognised across 17 categories.

Leading the pack with eight nominations is the much-celebrated Journey, which is up for Artistic Achievement, Audio Achievement, Game Innovation, Online-Multiplayer, Best Game, Game Design, Story and Original Music.

Tailing just behind with seven nods is The Walking Dead, which will be challenging Journey in the Best Game, Game Design, Story and Original Music categories, as well as vying for Mobile & Handheld as well as two Performer awards.

Far Cry 3 follows with six noms, including Action, Story, Best Game and Game Design, while Dear Esther has five chances to bag a win in categories including British Game, Debut Game and Performer.

Rounding out the list of honoured games with four nominations are Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed III, The Room and Halo 4,

while Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Forza Horizon, The Unfinished Swan and Thomas Was Alone each received three nods.

Finally, LEGO The Lord of the Rings, Need for Speed Most Wanted, FIFA 13, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, New Star Soccer and Diablo III have two nominations each.

The winners will be announced during a ceremony on March 5 at the London Hilton. Head over to BAFTA if you fancy having a look at the full (lengthy) list of nominees.

Here's the full list: http://awards.bafta.org/award/2013/games

What does everyone make of it?... Anything missing?

Can't believe there's not a single 3DS game in the Handheld/Mobile category, though having said that I'm not sure what should have been nominated.

I loved The Unfinished Swan so I'd like to see that recognised.

How did FIFA 2013 get a Best Game nomination?!... does there have to be a game from a sports category?

Kid Icarus Uprising should've been nominated for the Handheld/Mobile.

NintendoLand, despite being released at the back end of 2012 is probably the best 'family' game I've played in years.

My favorite thing about awards like these is how the people in the charge of the nominations always seem to be completely oblivious when it comes to handheld games.

I also like seeing the same few games appearing in tons of categories.

And it's kind of weird how the only genres they give out awards in are action, family, sports/fitness, strategy and multiplayer (if you count that).

Game Innovation

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

What? And what the hell is The Room?

It's nice to see games like The Walking Dead and Journey there (except for online, which I thought was a brilliant idea until I noticed that the other person was completing the puzzles for me, which made me realise that I'd been a complete arse in previous levels and ruining the game for the other players).

No Resident Evil: Revelations or Kid Icarus in Handheld is shameful :(

But BO2 nominated for "Innovation"? WTF? Aside from the "Pick 10" set up for setting up you loadouts online it is pretty much a very standard affair.... how does that get into best innovation?