NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
bob

Snapshot Serengeti

Well this is one of the best timewasters i've ever found.

If, like me, you enjoy safaris and animal spotting in general, this is about as close as you can get whilst still being at your computer.

Basically, through various wildlife camera traps, conservationists have gathered around 3 millions pictures of animals taken over three years. But they don't have enough time to work through them and identify the animals in them, and where they were spotted etc.

So they posted tham all online, and people can go through them and tag them, essentially building up a database of locations of animals in the Serengeti.

Apparently each picture gets sent to five participants, and if there is any disagreement between them, it gets sent to an expert, so don't worry about getting it wrong.

It's incredibly satifying clicking through and spotting rarer animals, even if 90% of them will be Gazelle and Wildebeest. (And empty pictures of moving grass). I've seen lions, a giraffe and even a hyena and a couple of hares.

Anywho, i've already wasted about an hour doing it, anyone else who finds it fun should check it out.

Makes me think of Pokémon Snap.

I did a few before stopping, could easily see myself wasting an hour doing it!

This is quite fun haha. I have alwasy loved animal spotting though.

Did a few pictures, quite a few ones of moving grass, one has a moth flying by at night. Also had one picture of a jeep moving by. =P

Might do some more if I ever feel myself getting bored or something.

Aw man, not the best thing to discover when it's approaching 1am!

50c217668a607540b905cf71_1.jpg

Beautiful picture! Just... so many animals... so far away... so tricky for my first 'classification'.

Ooh, nice picture of a spotted hyena!

50c217068a607540b905841e_2.jpg

I know what you mean Jay, they should have a 'There is something in this picture, but i havn't got a clue what it is' button. I''ve needed one of those many times when something is lying too close to the camera, or i can just see an ear/horn peeking in from the side.

EDIT:

WTF is going on here?

50c212438a607540b901d493_0.jpg

Is he in trouble?!

Edited by 130131301364

Apparently my knowledge of animals is shit.

First picture was some black bird but a big black bird that was stood on the floor.

Second picture was some kind of deer type thing but not a deer....

This should be done with Pokemon.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be. =P

50c2164e8a607540b90508db_0.jpg

Very blurry pic, but I can see something that looks like a wildebeest in the back. Slightly.

Also, fiiiiiireeeee!

50c215e78a607540b904bd03_0.jpg

No idea what this is?!

50c2134b8a607540b902bd13_0.jpg

I put Zorilla, because the tail is similar, but i'm not sure.

This is quite an interesting project! I probably won't classify anything, though, since I know next to nothing about the wildlife. :heh:

Sign in to follow this