NEurope
Caris

If you're playing a Wii U on a HDTV, please read.

So over the past few days I've been on the usual gaming forums including N-E of course and I've seen the same question keep poping up, so I thought this thread might help.

Basically a lot of people are saying the edge of the picture on the TV is cut off, unlike on the game pad.

The solution for this is simple, and it's actually good Nintendo have done this as they have built the OS to give you the best picture possible.

If you are experiencing this set your Wii U to 1080p, then go to your TV screen settings and it should have something like "display area".

Change that to full pixel or whatever the equivalent is and the screen will now fit and be an incredibly sharp picture.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Caris

It amazes me that so many modern TVs default to terrible settings. They think we all want an ugly, contrasty, over-sharpened, de-noised, motion-smeared, cropped image! Now admittedly some of that rubbish can beauty shop an SD broadcast (depending on how far you are from the screen!). With proper HD material, however, it only degrades the quality.

I think this overscan thing is used because a lot of TV programs have weird coloured bars and artifacts around the edge - even BBC HD has them sometimes. For films and games it's a no-no. Thanks for clearing it up!

Thanks for this, huge help, although the feature took an age to find in the menus of my Panasonic Viera TX-L37U2B. If anyone else has this (or another Panasonic TV, it may be the same) it can be found by hitting the Menu button on the remote then navigating to - Setup -> Other Settings -> 16:9 Overscan. Hope this helps some people avoid the lengthy google search I just went through!

Samsung TV - I went into picture settings Menu > Picture > Picture Options > Size > Screen Fit

It does improve the edges on graphics too.

If you have a Samsung HDTV, this non overscan option is also known as Just Scan.

Also here's a hint for those looking to reduce input lag on some Samsung TVs. Rename your HDMI input name to "PC"; on many models, this will turn off some image processing features that would otherwise increase input lag (note, it may be necessary to plug the Wii U into the HDMI1 socket for this to work, depending on your set)

If you have a Samsung HDTV, this non overscan option is also known as Just Scan.

Also here's a hint for those looking to reduce input lag on some Samsung TVs. Rename your HDMI input name to "PC"; on many models, this will turn off some image processing features that would otherwise increase input lag (note, it may be necessary to plug the Wii U into the HDMI1 socket for this to work, depending on your set)

You can get the same effect by naming the HDMI 'Game'.

You can get the same effect by naming the HDMI 'Game'.

Cheers! Forgot about that!

I didn't notice any issues with mine but it was cutting off the edges.

Only noticed when in miiverse and happened to look up at the TV and noticed the image didn't quite match what was on the gamepad.

Took me a while to notice as whenever both screens showed the same thing I'd only be looking at the gamepad as I'd be doing the inputs there. Good thing I noticed.

Samsung TV - I went into picture settings Menu > Picture > Picture Options > Size > Screen Fit

It does improve the edges on graphics too.

This fixed mine too :)

Thats a pretty good tip, i went into my tv menu and had a crap load of stupid things turned on that change and "enhance" the image. Things like making the image "warmer" and reducing picutre noise, turned it all off and made sure the screen fit was set correctly and it looks much better now.