NEurope
Dcubed

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Great trailer! Psyched as hell to play it (and the decision to port it to Wii U is a strange one... but not an unwelcome one :) )

As far as the whole "conclusion" thing goes, I'm pretty sure that they're referring to the fact that this will finish the current story arch. We all know that no game series like this ever really "finishes" ;)

IT IS COMPLETE!!!

Land ho! #Shantae and the Pirate's Curse has completed #Nintendo's Pre-Check. More info soon!

BxCbXNuCcAAxsr-.jpg

FINALLY!!! Should be hitting this year after all (whodathunkit!?)

Lets just hope it doesn't come out at the same time as Shovel Knight in Europe now...

Lets just hope it doesn't come out at the same time as Shovel Knight in Europe now...

I bet it will, just to annoy me!

YES!!!

I am far, far more excited about this than Shovel Knight, so I don't mind if it clashes (although I'm still getting both). That poster is lovely. Risky Boots' design looks just right, from what we can see of her.

Etrian Odyssey Untold, Fantasy Life, Conception II, Shovel Knight and Shantae 3... Don't know how all of them will turn out yet, but it's been another great year for 3DS.

#Shantae and the Pirate's Curse will likely release in mid-October in the US. We'll announce the date once we have it.

@richardeane @TeenKarter #Shantae & the Pirate's Curse will be releasing a little later in EU/AUS due to the localization/submission process

So it looks like Shovel Knight will be safe in Europe when it comes out at least :)

Hope Pirate's Curse still makes it for 2014 over here though...

Edited by Dcubed

Seems WayForward is doing character profiles. First up, the rather untrustworthy zombie, Rottytops:

Character Spotlight for the Ammo Baron:

...And the launch trailer:

I have a couple of small reservations, but overall it looks very good. I could really do with a great game this year.

A 9/10 from Nintendolife.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/shantae_and_the_pirates_curse

To put it lightly, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse is a difficult game, but that’s not to say that it is entirely unforgiving. As you progress and delve further into the plot enemies encountered become stronger and more diverse, but so does your arsenal. You will also come across increasingly more complex dungeons and puzzles to solve, but as your move set expands you find that there is never really a point where you’ll feel completely stuck after enough trial and error. Save rooms are abundant in the open world, usually placed strategically at a dungeon entrance or inside a town, and dying means replaying small sections rather than being sent back a significant amount – assuming you’re taking advantage of the opportunities to save. This is the rare type of game that allows itself to be accessible to a new audience while simultaneously sticking to its classic roots.

I'm surprised by this. Risky's Revenge required your full attention and had a learning curve here or there, but was still quite comfortable to play. Sounds like the difficulty of this might be more like the original.

Pirate’s Curse retains the same look and tone of previous games in the series, this time enhanced by the 3DS’s superior processor and display. WayForward’s signature art style is once again present, but not necessarily to the betterment of the game. While the brightly coloured environments, wacky characters and upbeat soundtrack may appeal to a wide audience – including the younger 3DS owners – there is an unnecessary level of sexualisation when considering the audience that is being targeted. It all seems a bit tongue-in-cheek based on the exaggerated dialogue and abundant jokes, but the tiny waists and heaving cleavage jumping out at you per the handheld’s 3D effect can be a bit much. If you’re not the type to be bothered by these affectations, especially considering that they don’t worsen the meticulously crafted gameplay, then feel free to ignore our warning, but do keep in mind that this might not be one for the kids.

Ignoring the word 'unnecessary', I'd be annoyed if there wasn't, to be honest. It's done in a really wholesome style that 100% fits the theme.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. My most anticipated game of the year, without a doubt.

Nintendo World Report gives it 9/10 (review is a little bit spoiler-ish):

The dungeons are shorter than they were in Risky’s Revenge, but they’re also tighter and more focused. You’ll rarely get lost because the map system in Pirate’s Curse is actually useful—it’s straight out of Super Metroid.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/38798/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-review

And an amazing review from US Gamer (4/5):

Fortunately, Pirate's Curse has one big advantage over both the original Shantae and its sequel, Risky's Revenge: It's a much better game. Even larger than Shantae, more polished than Risky's Revenge, it truly feels like a proper realization of the concept.

Flipping heck, I'm not the biggest fan of the original Shantae (LOVE Risky's Revenge though), but it was massive! If this is bigger, it really must be quite a game!

While at first appearance Pirate's Curse might look to be simply a reprise of the previous games in the series, the underpinnings of the action — the mechanics beneath the surface — have changed rather dramatically from what's come before. Shantae began as the world's greatest Wonder Boy/Monster World homage, with its nonlinear game design and emphasis on transformation into different animal forms, but here the adventure plays out more like Metroid. Granted, so do a few dozen other indie games, but Pirate's Curse stands out from the crowd on a few fronts.

(On the graphics...)

This lavish self-indulgence defines the entire game, and Pirate's Curse vies with the best Saturn and Neo Geo had to offer in terms of eye-pleasing sprite work. And the fluid, detailed animation never once interferes with the action.

:love:

To be specific, Pirate's Curse takes its strongest design cues not just from Metroid, but from Metroid Fusion.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-3ds-review-low-on-bilge-high-on-booty

Cannot wait.

Excellent. I've been looking for another experience akin to Metroid Fusion, one of my favourite GBA titles. Though for some reason I feel compelled to purchase and play the first two Shantae games before jumping into this one.

Excellent. I've been looking for another experience akin to Metroid Fusion, one of my favourite GBA titles. Though for some reason I feel compelled to purchase and play the first two Shantae games before jumping into this one.

You really should, they're great games in their own right and actually feel quite a bit like Metroid Fusion as well (though the Monster World games are probably a closer comparison).

I know this is gonna sound a bit weird, but I'd actually recommend playing the 2nd game (Risky's Revenge on DSi) before the 1st one (Shantae GBC). It's much more beginner friendly and tighter in terms of just about everything, from controls to level design, even if it is less ambitious in scope than its GBC predecessor.

Absolutely play both, but play the DSi one first and then the GBC one. There's not much of a real story in the GBC one anyway, so you're not missing out on anything really by playing in reverse order.

Thanks Dcubed. I'll definitely put both games on my list to buy, though part of me is holding out for the slim chance of a discount.

I'd definitely recommend Risky's Revenge first too. Everything about it is of amazing quality - graphics, music, controls. Then, if you enjoy it as much as some of us do, you can either go straight on to Pirate's Curse or go back and play the original. Just be aware that the GBC game has a large overworld and is quite hard to traverse (nothing liberal use of Restore Points can't fix though!)

To put it another way, the first two games are both like Wonder Boy/Monster World (sprawling overworld, transformations used as "keys"), whereas this third one sounds more like Metroid Fusion. I'd say Risky's Revenge perfects the idea, although the original does have two animal transformations that RR doesn't.

Oh, and I'd recommend playing RR with headphones, as the music is stunningly good!

It's dawning on me that, using the last game in the series as a benchmark, we might not get this until March next year. The Mighty Switch Force games were translated quickly but, let's face it, there's a lot more dialogue in Shantae.

So, being impatient, I gave myself yet another playthrough of Risky's Revenge (well, half of it anyway)! The sprite work is just gorgeous, and makes me eager to see what the 3DS can do. Sure, the screenshots look great, but it's the frames of animation that really make it. And I'm trying to be swift, but the music in certain shops and areas is so good I have to stop and listen to it! Also, Shantae's idle animation is really good - can't believe I never left her to do that before!

It's dawning on me that, using the last game in the series as a benchmark, we might not get this until March next year. The Mighty Switch Force games were translated quickly but, let's face it, there's a lot more dialogue in Shantae.

So, being impatient, I gave myself yet another playthrough of Risky's Revenge (well, half of it anyway)! The sprite work is just gorgeous, and makes me eager to see what the 3DS can do. Sure, the screenshots look great, but it's the frames of animation that really make it. And I'm trying to be swift, but the music in certain shops and areas is so good I have to stop and listen to it! Also, Shantae's idle animation is really good - can't believe I never left her to do that before!

Well if it means anything, they keep iterating that it's coming out in Europe in 2014...

They have gotten a lot better at EU releases than back in the DSiware days (or heaven forfend, their pre-digital days where most of their games just flat out didn't get released outside of the US!), so I don't expect it to take as long as before...

Well if it means anything, they keep iterating that it's coming out in Europe in 2014...

They have gotten a lot better at EU releases than back in the DSiware days (or heaven forfend, their pre-digital days where most of their games just flat out didn't get released outside of the US!), so I don't expect it to take as long as before...

Ah, good, hope you're right then.

Anyway, I've been reading all the reviews of this and thought I'd copy some more highlights. Just waiting for IGN now (the only big site I can think of until it gets released in Europe).

A nice review from Go Nintendo (do they not give scores?):

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=240056

Next to Nintendo, my favorite game developer could very well be WayForward. I truly admire the work they put into their games. I think it speaks a lot to the value of a company when they pour their heart and soul into every project, even licensed games. As WayForward has stated, it's those licensed projects that pave the way for their original content. In other words, games like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse wouldn't be possible without those other licensed projects. I'm glad passion projects like this ARE possible, though. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse isn't just one of the best games on the eShop, it's also Shantae's finest adventure by a country mile.

There are so many things in this title that really wowed me, even compared to previous Shantae games. I think you'd expect me to gush about the visuals, because I'm quite the fan of WayForward's attention to detail when it comes to sprite work. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is no different, but the sheer level of attention to detail is staggering. I don't think I've ever seen a game in my entire history that has sprite-work that matches the levels seen here.

Not much I like more than gorgeous sprite work. :)

Destructoid gives it 7.5/10:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-shantae-and-the-pirate-s-curse-282790.phtml

The actual dungeons have some pretty interesting layouts (with plenty of secret areas to find, some of them downright dastardly), and overall I felt like a few of the game's areas were some of the most challenging zones WayForward has crafted yet. If you're like me and gobble up platformers for breakfast, you'll find a lot to like here.

And this is the company that made Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2. :heh:

A 7/10 from Cubed3:

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1626/1/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-nintendo-3ds-eshop.html

However, a major criticism in regards to this is the colours and graphics; they are good but it becomes distracting at times. There is very little delineation between platforms that can be landed on compared to the mere background art. It is a pretty big issue at times where it simply becomes pure trial and error as to what platform is really there.

The platforming is by far the hardest part and the bosses are surprisingly easy. There are many blind jumps and there are times when there are floods of projectiles, and there is the problem of what exactly a platform is, and generally the pure swarm of enemies that grind Shantae down simply based on their sheer numbers. In contrast, the bosses are surprisingly and disappointingly easy. They have simple attack patterns, do not take that much damage to kill, and generally provide what could be called a 'rest' over the often merciless flood of enemies while platforming.

Hmm...

Finally, a very good review (with spoilers) from Hardcore Gamer, who give it 4.5/5:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/10/28/review-shantae-and-the-pirates-curse/114330/

Do not take that to mean that the game is easy after you collect all of the items, though – the last level in particular contains some of the most brutal platforming you’ll find in any game, falling somewhere between Super Meat Boy and Flappy-Bird on the spectrum of high-flying instadeath acrobatics.

The bosses don’t show quite as much personality as the barons from Risky’s revenge, but there are more of them, and they’re a LOT harder to beat. You’ll need fast reflexes and an ability to think on your feet to overcome most of them, and the later ones especially have some very tricky patterns.

It does sound rather difficult.

Anyway, bring it on!

...And it's in! IGN gives it an 8.5, taking the Metacritic score to 84 at the moment. The review is not too spoilerish, but does spoil an early puzzle:

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse succeeds by building a funny, gorgeous world around its tried and true Metroidvania gameplay. In the brief moments when the combat becomes exhausting, it’s the writing, in all its self-referential and juvenile glory, and its visual splendor that keep the pace going. Though it’s an unmistakable tribute to Metroid and Castlevania, infusing a sharp wit and bold style helps Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse stand above its retro-inspired contemporaries.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-review

So, that's probably about all we can get for now. I'll be interested in the European scores from sites like Metro (GameCentral) and of course here! Eurogamer gave Risky's Revenge a particularly low score (60) compared to the others, so I wonder if they'll prefer this.

EDIT - Oh, and Pocket Gamer (9/10):

The Pirate's Curse's soundtrack is composed by Jake Kaufman. In other words, if you have headphones, use them.

Love it. :D

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is just satisfying in every regard, whether you're hopping, floating, shooting, exploring, or collecting.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Shantae+and+the+Pirate%27s+Curse/review.asp?c=62289

Edited by Grazza

Feels like it has been an eternity since the U.S. release!

Well, we're almost here. Dunno about you guys but I know that I'm Ret 2 Go for this one! :D

A little more news concerning New 3DS owners and an update from MyNintendoNews;

And for those eager New Nintendo 3DS owners the developer has promised an update for the system is coming soon, enabling the use of the ZL and ZR buttons to swap between inventory and map screens, along with the C stick to quickly select from various magic spells and items.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/21/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-for-wii-u-3ds-targets-february-5-european-release/

I'm excited, I just hope it's intact.

By the way, it's cross-buy too:

To thank dedicated PAL fans for their patience, WayForward is also enabling a cross-buy offer for the Wii U and 3DS versions of Shantae And The Pirate’s Curse. If you buy one version of the game, you can get the second for 50% off. This offer is exclusive to PAL regions, and will not be available in the US.

On a related note, @Ike or @Retro_Link would you delete "3DS eShop" from the title and add the "3DS + Wii U" icon at the side, please, if that's not too cheeky? :heh: