NEurope
Retro_Link

"Triple-A" Square Enix Port Coming to Wii U

Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Tomb Raider? Final Fantasy XIII? Hitman: Absolution?

The studio working to port Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U is also doing the same for a triple-a Square Enix title.

Forum members over at Neogaf noted that Tom Crago, the CEO of Australian studio Straight Right, made some interesting comments in a previous interview regarding what the company was up to aside from working on Mass Effect 3.

He said, "We've made a few bets on Wii U actually so we're certainly hoping it does well. In addition to ME3 we have an original Wii U title in development, and we've started on another big game in a well known franchise that will be released in 2013."

Following this, the community then noted that the (since-modified) LinkedIn page of Straight Right’s Technical Project Manager Chris Wright stated he was, "working for Straight Right on a short term contract, porting a triple-A Square Enix game to the yet-to-be-released Wii U platform."

Quite what the title may be is anyone's guess, but the fact it's a "well known franchise" means that Hitman: Absolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Returns are all still viable possibilities.

I'm betting and hoping on it being Tomb Raider! :)

Plus there's an original Wii U title coming from Straight Right too! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I'd say it's Tomb Raider. Don't think we'll ever see Final Fantasy back on a Nintendo home console. Hope I'm wrong.

Maybe it's Demons’ Score!

That's so well-known I had to look up the name.

A Deus Ex: Human Revolution GOTY edition with all DLC would be nice - I think the touch screen on the GamePad would work brilliantly with the game since it can be used for any time you're interacting with a device. In game, even when using a computer, you can look up and around to see what's going on without breaking away from it. Would feel nice when you need to type passwords and stuff in too. You could make the argument that everyone who wants it will have already bought it but by the time this port arrives, it will be the case for TR and Hitman too so in either case, it will be appealing to Nintendo fans who've missed out for whatever reason and DE:HR is not a game anybody should be missing.

FF works because it stands a better chance of being released closer to the original game but then it's another ME instance of expecting people to buy into the third act of a series when they've been denied the first two... even if the first two weren't considered worth going out of the way for.

I'd say it's Tomb Raider. Don't think we'll ever see Final Fantasy back on a Nintendo home console. Hope I'm wrong.
If Square Enix did decide to start bringing FF to the Wii U moving forward; what with Monster Hunter and Pokemon, Nintendo would pretty much have the Japanese market all to themselves! :p

However whilst it doesn't rule out previous FF games being ported to the Wii U, Square Enix did show off that fancy FF Game Engine at E3 this year, which is clearly an engine being aimed at the next generation of consoles, and we don't really know whether the Wii U will be up to that challenge yet. Though I suppose games could still be scaled back to the Wii U through porting studios such as this.

Surely developers like Square Enix must see that with Monster Hunter games etc... Nintendo is going to sell a lot of consoles in Japan, and so really they should be looking at bringing FF to the console again.

You could make the argument that everyone who wants it will have already bought it but by the time this port arrives, it will be the case for TR and Hitman too so in either case,
Tomb Raider's not releasing until February though is it? With a seperate studio handled a Wii U port, there's a chance that it might not arrive that far outside the launch window? Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

Tomb Raider's not releasing until February though is it? With a seperate studio handled a Wii U port, there's a chance that it might not arrive that far outside the launch window?

Good point well made. A quick search has shown a release date of March 5th so yeah, it's doable depending on how much work they still have left to do on it and just how good the console optimisation has been. Let's hope if it is TR and it does arrive much after that date, it will be after MS's exclusivity is up with the DLC so it can be included on disc to make up for it.

I'm just a big fan of DE:HR and I can see how easily the Gamepad could be intergrated to create an even more immersive experience. It seems like a perfect fit just like when people look at Watchdogs and think of how much use the gamepad could bring to the table there too. I don't necessarily see what it will bring with TR beyond the stand map and weapon switching.

If Square Enix did decide to start bringing FF to the Wii U moving forward; what with Monster Hunter and Pokemon, Nintendo would pretty much have the Japanese market all to themselves! :p

Nintendo don't need Final Fantasy though, it's on a serious decline in japan, Nintendo already have Square-Enix most successful franchise in Japan.

Dragon_Quest_2191.jpg

Considering it's an Australian studio, I think we can rule out Final Fantasy and other Japanese games.

I for one would LOVE to see Hitman. I had Hitman 2 for the Gamecube and it's one of my fave games for the system. Flick it to firt person mode, and you essentially have the closest thing to Goldeneye (yes, probably even closer than Timesplitters and certainly closer than the GE remake).

Although all the other games you listed would be great too.

I'd really love DeusEX HR or Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider would be better in a way giving its a new game and will draw people to the WiiU, but i love DeusEX and as others have said the imersion it could bring to the game could be amazing (wish full thinking it would be nice to include DeusEX and IW as a bonus but it won't happen)

I'm betting on Tomb Raider. I believe most of the Tomb Raider games released this Gen were ported to the Wii so it makes sense given the precedent.

I for one would LOVE to see Hitman. I had Hitman 2 for the Gamecube and it's one of my fave games for the system.

I love the Hitman series. Contracts and Blood Money are good but for pure fun Hitman 2 was by far the best.

As for the new one, I haven't even considered it.

After hearing the response about the possibility of DeuxEX, I should probably give it a try. I have it sitting on my PS3 doing nothing.

It's obviously Final Fantasy XIII-3, which when finally released on the WiiU a trilogy pack will come out for the 360 and PS3 for a cheaper price and be out before the WiiU FFXIII-3 comes out. Keep that momentum going with just giving us the last of a trilogy.

It's obviously Final Fantasy XIII-3, which when finally released on the WiiU a trilogy pack will come out for the 360 and PS3 for a cheaper price and be out before the WiiU FFXIII-3 comes out. Keep that momentum going with just giving us the last of a trilogy.

Didn't you hear, Retro's new project is a HD remake of Metroid Prime 3 for the WiiU. Whilst they are releasing the HD Trilogy on PS360. :heh: