N-Europe

Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition

are1981

I never bought the first release, because many people wrote about the mandatory patches taking a day to download and install. Even if that is exxagerated, I dislike the direction game development has taken, using early customers as game-bug-testers. So I was turned off the game.

After a few months, I read more about the game, because I was a bit curious despite the criticism. Then I read about the absense of car damage, and I thought "how can anyone call a car racing game 'realistic' if crashes do not affect car handling".

Now my answer is: Has the game been fixed now, twenty-two months after release? Does the Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition contain all updates on the BD?

I simply will not buy unfinished games, I will not throw my money at lazy developers. I vote with my wallet. I am interested in Gran Turismo 5, but it has to be a finished product before I buy.

This is from the PlayStation blog:

On top of that GT5: Academy Edition includes the full set of functionality updates since launch that have helped finesse and improve upon GT5, helping it to become one of the best-selling racing games of this console generation.

This is from the PlayStation blog:

"On top of that GT5: Academy Edition includes the full set of functionality updates since launch that have helped finesse and improve upon GT5, helping it to become one of the best-selling racing games of this console generation."

Thank you for replying. But 'includes' is ambiguous in this context. Included, as in 'on the BD', or as in 'free downloadable updates'?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/26/gran-turismo-5-academy-edition-and-new-dlc-out-today/

All updates (up to Patch 2.07) are on the disc (including the data for the DLCs, of course.)

This means that with this edition you don’t have to go through the entire download process again, you just pop the disc in and decide how much you want to install: it’s all in there!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/26/gran-turismo-5-academy-edition-and-new-dlc-out-today/

"All updates (up to Patch 2.07) are on the disc (including the data for the DLCs, of course.)

This means that with this edition you don’t have to go through the entire download process again, you just pop the disc in and decide how much you want to install: it’s all in there!"

Thank you for answering, but I can't find the text you quoted in the source you provided.

I just want to read an official confirmation that all game data is on the BD (all released game data up until the date the disc was manufactured, of course).

Edited by are1981

Why would they release a new edition of a game and not include the patches on the disc? :hmm:

I agree, stupid, I know! Yet unfinished games are released every month.

Sony does so much stupid, I need to be sure before buying a game I am slightly interested in. If I were very interested, I probably would have bought the game a long time ago.

They must have deleted the comment. How strange.

I did a Google search for part of the quote, and I found it! But not on that page, but here:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/07/25/gran-turismo-5-academy-edition-coming-soon/

Now I know everything is on the disc, except future updates, of course. I probably will buy the Academy Edition when it hits GBP 12, hoping they have sorted out car damage realism.

Its pre patched. Only the latest small patch isnt on the disk. Saves around 2-3gb of hdd space. Comes with nearly all the dlc via code. The dlc have to be unlocked inside GT5.

Probably no more major patches in the future.

hoping they have sorted out car damage realism.

Car damage varies per race and car but it still takes a while to make it look like a complete mess (pop open the doors, boot etc. on some cars).

Its pre patched. Only the latest small patch isnt on the disk. Saves around 2-3gb of hdd space. Comes with nearly all the dlc via code. The dlc have to be unlocked inside GT5.

Probably no more major patches in the future.

Car damage varies per race and car but it still takes a while to make it look like a complete mess (pop open the doors, boot etc. on some cars).

Thank you for helpful information, on patches and the free purchasable downloads!

I do not care about the visuals, but the handling. Will I suffer from a crash, or can I just drive full speed and not care about damage?

I want a proper simulator, but a fun one, as if I actually took my real-life-car on a track. I want a racing game that is designed to make the player fear consequences of a crash; a game that is so that a crash will make you struggle to even finish the race.

And none of that optional sillyness, when you can turn it on. No, that ain't a proper racer!

Edited by are1981

I do not care about the visuals, but the handling. Will I suffer from a crash, or can I just drive full speed and not care about damage?

I want a proper simulator, but a fun one, as if I actually took my real-life-car on a track. I want a racing game that is designed to make the player fear consequences of a crash; a game that is so that a crash will make you struggle to even finish the race.

And none of that optional sillyness, when you can turn it on. No, that ain't a proper racer!

You'll be very happy with GT then. GT is all about realism and handling but also having fun.

Crashes are not a big deal most of the game though. The game is mostly very easy but goes all the way up to Very hard. One crash will probably mean last position for a tough race. Mechanical damage is not permanent when enabled but is enough to give up. Its hard to drive when you cant steer left for 30 seconds as an example. The game can get very very hard for most people though. I think most of N-E had trouble with the Top Gear challenges which I thought were easy :p

I would recommend a steering wheel like the Driving force GT by Logitech if its on offer. Its cheap but not that far off the more expensive wheels. Will give you that much more if you want extreme realism. Iwould also recommend hitting Online seasonal events alongside the main single player as they are more rewarding if you can handle the challenges.

Edited by Choze

You'll be very happy with GT then. GT is all about realism and handling but also having fun.

Crashes are not a big deal most of the game though. The game is mostly very easy but goes all the way up to Very hard. One crash will probably mean last position for a tough race. Mechanical damage is not permanent when enabled but is enough to give up. Its hard to drive when you cant steer left for 30 seconds as an example. The game can get very very hard for most people though. I think most of N-E had trouble with the Top Gear challenges which I thought were easy :p

I would recommend a steering wheel like the Driving force GT by Logitech if its on offer. Its cheap but not that far off the more expensive wheels. Will give you that much more if you want extreme realism. Iwould also recommend hitting Online seasonal events alongside the main single player as they are more rewarding if you can handle the challenges.

Thank you! I have Logitech G27, and have used it for Dirt, Dirt 2, and Dirt 3. I think I will buy this in the coming months, whenever a window plentiful of time opens up.