N-Europe

Holiday DS Gaming

Ellmeister

So I'm going on holiday next week and it'll be nice and relaxing by the pool. I like to have something to keep me busy which is why I always find a renewed love for my DS every summer.

Can anyone recommend an old or new game that'll keep me preoccupied for a week?

Last year I bought a Professor Layton game which was very good so I'm thinking I may just pick up another relatively cheaply.

Just interested to know what are some recommendations from you guys!

Last year I bought a Professor Layton game which was very good so I'm thinking I may just pick up another relatively cheaply.

[/thread]

Ace Attorney? If for some strange reason you haven't played those yet. Or 999, though that probably wouldn't last a week. I like the idea of playing story-heavy games at the pool, though.

Radiant Historia, if you like RPGs. It should easily last you a week if you try to unlock all of the story nodes, too.

Picross DS/Picross 3D? Though I think playing nothing but those games for a week would drive any normal person insane. :p

Any of these should last you a week:

Ōkamiden

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

The World Ends with You

Either Zelda game

Pokémon

Advance Wars

Ghost Trick

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

We don't know what you've already played, Ell! :sad:

Well you can gross TWEWY, Pokemon, AW, GTA off the list. I've played those, yet to complete TWEWY so may just start that again.

I like the idea of Ace Attorney but less keen on the idea of having to shout at my DS!

I'm a fan of RPGs so could you tell me more about Radiant Historia?

You don't have to shout at your DS to play Ace Attorney. It's entirely optional, except for (I think) right at the end of the first two games. So go ahead and play them! And then play Ghost Trick, which is by the same guy. ;)

Radiant Historia is an RPG by Atlus about time travel. The timeline splits early on, so not only do you travel back and forth through time (you just travel between the beginning and end of the game, so there's no past/future stuff), but you also have to travel between the two timelines while playing through two fairly different stories.

It has a really unique battle system where the enemies stand on a 9x9 grid and you can push them around using certain attacks, build up combos and - once you get all of them on the same tile - do damage to all enemies at once. It makes battles a bit more strategic than usual, but it's easy enough that you'll get to grips with it really quickly.

I thought it was really awesome! Good story, good characters, and time travel is always fun. :hehe:

To me, the Ace Attorney series seem like the best fit if you want something relaxing to play on holiday. Brilliant stories and music, and you don't need your reflexes. The only problem is that it might be frustrating if you can't work out what to do, but that's like any game. Assuming you'll have the internet, just go on GameFAQs if you get stuck. Personally, I'm still stuck in the mentality that holiday = no internet, but maybe that's just me!

I won't have internet! Hopefully I'll manage to survive for a week!

Also having to import a game if it wasn't released in the UK may take a while so I guess Radiant Historia isn't viable :p

Can I play Ace Attorney without having to look crazy to people because I'm speaking to handheld console? :p

Ghost Trick is a good choice if you want the Ace Attorney charm but don't want to invest in an entire series.

So many good games you could play! I'm more jealous about that than your holiday. :blank:

Also having to import a game if it wasn't released in the UK may take a while so I guess Radiant Historia isn't viable :p

Amazon's got you covered. :p

And I'm pretty sure I already told you that yelling at your DS while playing Ace Attorney is entirely optional!

Chrono Trigger is great if you haven't played it before! Just... it's an SNES game, so adjust your story expectations accordingly. Great game, though.

Ghost Trick probably won't last you all week if you play a lot. It's shorter than the Ace Attorney games. You may need a backup game if you decide to go with that. But you should still play it, obviously. :p

If I could stick in one more recommendation. Inazuma Eleven! A football-RPG hybrid from the brilliant Level-5.

This is one of the better reviews I've read of the game. Take a look!

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/03/inazuma_eleven_ds

Played the game, completed the game and loved it!

Will be waiting for the next one to drop down in price a bit though as I don't think it'll have too many changes to the original to warrant buying it at full price.

Thanks though :)

Can I play Ace Attorney without having to look crazy to people because I'm speaking to handheld console? :p

You've really got the wrong impression about Ace Attorney! :heh: Courtroom gameplay involves two main actions: "Press" and "Present". Both are activated via the touchscreen.

OK, the first two games have one moment just before the end credits where you have to say it out loud, but just wait until you're in your hotel room! ;)