NEurope
sagat

What is the strategy for the Wii?

Once the Wii U is released will Nintendo stop manufacturing and selling Wii's? I hope not because believe it or not, the console still has some life left and can still be flogged to the very end. Look at the PS2, new games are still sold in some parts of Europe and the console sells fairly well in Japan. If Nintendo gets her strategy right, she can keep selling Wii's as long or even longer than the PS2. This can be a small source of revenue.

Edited by sagat

The Wii is a complete disaster which core gamers will have zero interrest in after the Wii U's launch. Nintendo are also going to need to force the casuals over to the Wii U with a stick. Espescially if the Wii U performance wise isn't a true next gen system.

The Wii is a complete disaster which core gamers will have zero interrest in after the Wii U's launch. Nintendo are also going to need to force the casuals over to the Wii U with a stick. Espescially if the Wii U performance wise isn't a true next gen system.

Er... 95 million units sold? Top selling games with over 20 million units sold of each title? TOTAL DISASTER! I bet Sony and MS would HATE to have those sales on their hands.

Also, I don't think 'casual' gamers will exactly care how much of a next gen console the WiiU either is or isn't - they crtainly didn't care whether the Wii was!

In reply to the OP, I think the Wii will be around for another couple of Christmas's, just heavily discounted and sold in generous bundles. It'll shit maybe another 5 to 10 million units. It just won't recieve any first party support.

^^ I agree with you. They should release their usual IP and the casual/exercise games and keep it going

Strategy for the WIi? I wouldn't mind knowing what their strategy is for the Wii U!!

Fact is, from E3 Nintendo is betting on families and casuals to buy the Wii U; so they need to kill the Wii and stop giving them reasons to just keep and play the Wii. Give them a reason to upgrade.

Is it already selling at £79.99?

If so, then I'm not sure if they can lower the price again, if not, then a price drop to that price.

Strategy for the WIi? I wouldn't mind knowing what their strategy is for the Wii U!!

"Lets cross our fingers, guys"

There was talk that Wii and WiiOoo would exist - at least for some time - together in the market place but I guess this will just be to clear the warehouses of stock. I can't see much manufacturing going on at all, maybe a handful of eleventh-tier titles from 505 Games.

Stores will be encouraged flog the old stock for cheap (I recall Gamecube, rather insultingly, being sold at £39.99 with Donkey Konga at Toys'rus).

However, this time round Nintendo do have the benefit of being able to support peripherals better - many of them will be working on WiiU so they'll be rebadged and widely available.

The release of the remaining upcoming titles and one more price drop, followed by complete abandonment.

The smartest move IMO is the cut the Wii as soon as the Wii U is launched. Sell the machines at reasonable prices and keep the good games as they are playable on Wii U. There's no reason to buy a new Wii when you can buy a Wii U. Many stores sell the preowned Wiis at the same price as a new 360/PS3 game. Those who still want a wii can get it cheap used.