NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

P.N.03

I decided to use the fortune cookie feature on backloggery to randomly pick which game from backlog I would tackle next and this is what it came out with...wondered what people thought about this game from back in the day? Do you marvel at it's wonder or find it's controls dumb and restrictive? Was it too repetitive to care about?

I never finished it when I got it for around £8 several years ago but I did try to go back to it again recently and didn't find myself enjoying it that much, unfortunately :hmm:

P.N.03 could have been decent but when you see the exact same room again and again you begin to find it a little repetitive. It has become one of those games in my collection where I feel like I have so much else to play that I'm not sure it warrants enough of my time to ever play it and I'd be very prepared to let it go..

I have it too and never played it. Have quite a few gamecube games I'm dying to play through (and replay through) - wonder if Bluestorm and F Zero are as incredible as they are in my head!!

Keep us updated on your play through!

I have it too and never played it. Have quite a few gamecube games I'm dying to play through (and replay through) - wonder if Bluestorm and F Zero are as incredible as they are in my head!!

Wave Race: Blue Storm and F-Zero GX are more incredible than they are in your head and the mere thought of a sequel to both games on Wii U makes the wait for E3 even more of a killer :eek:

I may slip on P.N.03 in the next few days to see how I feel about it now.. but I doubt if my opinion will have changed that much :hmm:

I played Bluestorm not that long ago and it still stands up pretty well. I know a lot of people would argue its a poor mans Wave Race 64 but not for me. F Zero (as in the cube version) is arguably my crowning gaming achievement I completely 100% finished everything...not quite sure how but I did it. I kind of fear going back to it as my skills will likely have diminished...

People who prefer Waverace 64 over Bluestorm are insane :)

I couldn't even get close to finishing F Zero GX 100%. Loved that game though.

New Wave race and F Zero would excite me more than most announcements. Excitbike would probably do it too, incredible N64 game!

People who prefer Waverace 64 over Bluestorm are insane :)

I couldn't even get close to finishing F Zero GX 100%. Loved that game though.

New Wave race and F Zero would excite me more than most announcements. Excitbike would probably do it too, incredible N64 game!

Yes two criminally overlooked titles in the Wii and DS era...I mean GX was awesome but so was the GBA version as well...

P.N.03 could have been decent but when you see the exact same room again and again you begin to find it a little repetitive. It has become one of those games in my collection where I feel like I have so much else to play that I'm not sure it warrants enough of my time to ever play it and I'd be very prepared to let it go..

Yep, very repetitive. The basic idea of the game is good, i.e. sort of dancing combat, but the execution is not. Instead of fluid motion, the "dancing" is actually rather clunky and restricted. In other words, it could be much more fun to play...

Would not recommend.

Well I'm gonna give it a try tonight seem as it popped it. I've played it but really don't remember much of it by the sounds of things I'm not going to enjoy it at all.

Saw this topic and ran to log in.

PN03 is a beautiful game! It's a combination of the tactile-aerobatic gameplay, smooth techno soundtrack, stage design and the graceful design of the interiors of the game and the character herself as well as her special moves.

People got disappointed because they got the wrong end of the stick, seeing the preview pics and expecting a Metal Gear Solid or the like.

The controls were simple but alright! And your success correlates more with your reflexes. This is definitely a game I would like to see on Wii U in HD glory!

Saw this topic and ran to log in.

PN03 is a beautiful game! It's a combination of the tactile-aerobatic gameplay, smooth techno soundtrack, stage design and the graceful design of the interiors of the game and the character herself as well as her special moves.

People got disappointed because they got the wrong end of the stick, seeing the preview pics and expecting a Metal Gear Solid or the like.

The controls were simple but alright! And your success correlates more with your reflexes. This is definitely a game I would like to see on Wii U in HD glory!

So I'm going to reply to your views having played up to Mission 6.

I can totally see why the comparisons at the time were being made with MGS with the codex like scenes between each mission, I also feeling the writing is pretty terrible I mean why the hell do I care about this mission or about this character? What's the point in keeping my employers identity it's not as if there are any other characters in the game or this is part of a vast universe where some character revealing themselves would be a WOOOOOOOO moment. I think they try on a few occasions try to hit that self awareness that is a metal gear solid trope and ultimately fails.

The controls yes are simple but no where near as fluid as we've come to expect these days. Turning at any angle other than a 180 (with z) is a pain in the arse you just aren't able to turn with any sort of finesse. I feel like the button placement is all wrong. The C stick's camera controls are practically none existent and may as well not be there. If they had kept the camera tighter and sorted that out so it stuck behind you a tad better it would be fine. The C stick would be much better used for energy drive moves than that d-pad is. What a dumb idea....it's so stupid to get to.

I do like the dancy element to it and the soundtrack is really good. However not being able to shoot and move seems a weird one, it doesn't help the fluidity but then the rythm you find yourself in when you're really on it does seem to make justify this decsion on occasion.

One aspect you said that I simply cannot defend is the stage design...sure the overall look and asthetics of the complex your in is great but there so are so many occasions where the same actually identical corridors are used. A few stupid levels where they add verticality to the levels with little consideration for the way your characters actually jumps don't help either. For me the best level was the first level where you are actually outside where things are more open. I was excited when I was told level 4(?) was gonna be back outside only to find what was essentially a retextured corridor.

Despite all this I am still finding some level of enjoyment and plan on playing to the end. I love teh upgrading system and different suits do genuinely feel different to play with and lend themselves to different playstyles. I do feel a HD update as a downloadable title would be good idea with improved visuals (its aged pretty well) and refined controls and it could be a winner. It's the controls for me, there is a slight sluggishness there which can impeed you even when you feel like your reflexes more than met the challenge.

For me it's by far the weakest of the Capcom Five and still leaves me lamenting the lose of Dead Phoenix.

Blue Storm doesn't quite hold up, the lack of viable choices in terms of racers is it's major pratfall. The tracks in Expert mode are still very well designed though (although unnavigable with any character other than Nigel).

GX on the other hand, is still one of the finest products Nintendo has ever put out.

(I say because I played them both yesterday on a huge nostalgia kick =p)

The tracks in Expert mode are still very well designed though (although unnavigable with any character other than Nigel)

I didn't seem to have any problems with Ryota.. and I didn't have to listen to Carver's pit chief Terrence :heh:

I play through it every so often and I personally feel like it still holds up and is one of my favourite racing games, perhaps only beaten by the insane F-Zero GX :hehe:

Reached the final boss and cannot for the life of me do it...it's typical fare has certain stages/states that happen as its health depletes...going to go back to it tomorrow hoping its one of those ones I just can't do now and I hammer it first thing next time I pick it up.

The blatant flaws of this game is the reason why a Wii U sequel might just make this game legendary. The flaws are so easy to iron out, and there is so much room to add and improve.

Multiplayer co-op anyone? Bigger stages, more suits... Don't even need to delve into character jargon - just vamp up the techno music and blast the robots swan lake style. :)

I really enjoyed this game when I was younger even though it is clunky once I got into the rhythm of it I had good fun. :D

Finished it last night! Still stick by all I say, the amount of completely in full replicated rooms is unacceptable, I don't care how low your budget is for a game so small would it really have been hard to make different rooms? The textures are all the same just give us some different shapes ffs...

Also wtf at the ending...I already guessed as much that it was coming but it just had no impact at all due to the more story telling and characterisation left me not giving a shit about what happened to Jennifer Hale.

Sign in to follow this