N-Europe

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

darksnowman

Whao.... saw on Neogaf this is due out here this week!? When did that happen? Checked various online retailers and they don't have a date (Amazon, GAME) or have it at all (Shopto). Nintendo Life is the only place I can seem to find that confirms the date, is it an eSop only title or something, does anyone know what's going on?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo Life is the only place I can seem to find that confirms the date

That's where I also found out last week, it was kind of low-key and like you said I didn't hear this news anywhere else.

EDIT: Now I can't seem to find it at all, what was the exact wording? I think I saw this mentioned in their comments section.

I can't recall anything because this bit of news came out in the midst of MH, Luigi's Mansion & LEGO City.

Edited by -Dem0-
Automerged Doublepost

Probably just an April Fool or, as I call it, "Lie Day"!

If it was released this week (I can't remember if this is retail or download-only?), that would certainly make up my mind as to whether I was going to play III or IV first! Currently trying to bash the post-game boss in II...

Yeah so this is not out tomorrow. However it has been delayed until Summer. It as confirmed we'd be getting the demo (also in Summer) as well as both an eShop and retail release of the full game.

Excellent news! Seems that the NiS America publishing deal in place with EO4 may not be a one off!

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/08/nis-america-tell-us-about-their-european-publishing-arrangement-with-atlus/

“Currently, the games are selected on a title-by-title basis,” Yamashita revealed to us. “However, NISA is very interested in establishing a long-term relationship with Atlus to secure future titles from them.”

Here's hoping that it becomes a long-term partnership! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We finally have a solid release date for this, 30th August 2013. Will be available on the eShop and retail and we should be getting the demo soon (data transfers to full version).

And yes, it's being published by NIS America.

• 1 month later...

Got round to playing the demo today with it being a bank holiday, currently at level 5 (half of the level cap in the demo).

Demo started of fairly well but the difficulty quickly ramped up, which was odd since I mapped out half of the floor before I noticed.

Didn't realise the game had a world map of sorts, you travel around in your Skyship and look for places to explore.

Been trying to decide which skills to go for, do people create characters for farming? I like the skill tree interface in this game.

Anyone else tried out the demo? The 3 play limit is a killer.

The game is £28 on Amazon, by the way. Or £35 on the eShop.

Didn't realise the game had a world map of sorts, you travel around in your Skyship and look for places to explore.

Sounds like Etrian Odyssey III, with its ocean.

Been trying to decide which skills to go for, do people create characters for farming? I like the skill tree interface in this game.

It depends, really. In I & II I was happy to use my Survivalist for farming. In III, there are actually Farmers. I haven't seen the skills for this game but I'll probably just throw a few skill points towards farming in the character that best suits it.

Just taking a quick look at the classes, I think I'm going to start with Landsknecht, Fortress, Runemaster, Dancer and Medic.

Anyone else tried out the demo? The 3 play limit is a killer.

No, I was 100% sure I wanted this, and I'd rather just start it when I get the proper game.

Just taking a quick look at the classes, I think I'm going to start with Landsknecht, Fortress, Runemaster, Dancer and Medic.

I went with Landsknecht, Fortress, Sniper, Medic and Runemaster although I haven't looked into what each class does so may end up switching Sniper and Runemaster.

Sniper class has all the bind skills so might end up keeping him. Runemaster does the elemental damage/protection so will see how useful that becomes. Have a feeling it might only be useful against certain bosses.

No, I was 100% sure I wanted this, and I'd rather just start it when I get the proper game.

Fair enough, the save transfers so I started it just to get a "head start".

I went with Landsknecht, Fortress, Sniper, Medic and Runemaster although I haven't looked into what each class does so may end up switching Sniper and Runemaster.

Sniper class has all the bind skills so might end up keeping him. Runemaster does the elemental damage/protection so will see how useful that becomes. Have a feeling it might only be useful against certain bosses.

If Runemaster does elemental protection for the whole party, I might not use a Fortress. I really like Protectors/Hoplites, but I've found them less and less useful as the series goes on. They were great in the first game because they had Defender. They didn't have that skill in Etrian Odyssey II, but obviously Anti-Fire/-Ice/-Volt was still useful against the Dragons.

Now though? Whilst I'll probably create a character for each class, maybe I'll use a Nightseeker instead of a Fortress. I've never really felt the need for a "tank", for two reasons:

1) If a Protector did manage to provoke all the physical attacks, he still couldn't take them anyway against a boss. He's not that tough!

2) Even Provoke does not protect everyone else from elemental attacks (which most bosses use).

So, sounds like this game will require some different thinking (like III).

Yeah, I liked Fortresses in the first which is why I picked one in this one.

Just looked up the skills, and Fortress does have some elemental defence skills, the difference with the Runemaster is their's lowers enemy resistances as well.

Fortress has Ally Shield (defend 1 ally), taunt (makes enemies more likely to attack him/her), Line Shield (take attacks for everyone in the same line) and Party Shield (take damage for everyone).

Runemasters seem to be more aimed more at dealing elemental damage but they do have a few skills to protect against them as well.

Fortress has Ally Shield (defend 1 ally), taunt (makes enemies more likely to attack him/her), Line Shield (take attacks for everyone in the same line) and Party Shield (take damage for everyone).

Just a note about that: I didn't find Party Shield very useful in Etrian Odyssey II. A lot of people liked Front Guard, but it wasn't part of my build. I like this class to have max HP, max TP, Shields, Smite (if that's still in it) and Anti-Fire/-Ice/-Volt. Always want more skill points with Protectors!

Didn't even need one against the main post-game boss of EO II, although I did with the Dragons.

Runemasters seem to be more aimed more at dealing elemental damage but they do have a few skills to protect against them as well.

Zodiacs (ie. Alchemists) in III have something similar as well. I haven't used it yet because it's something like "Anticipate Ice; use Ice". Oh well, just looking forward to playing about with the different classes, to be honest (resists demo!)

Made it to BF2 of Windy Valley (or w/e the name is) last night but got cornered by the F.O.Es so had to use an item to escape.

Spent some timing grinding for EXP and items so I can upgrade my equipment, going a bit slow at the minute though.

Tried taking on one of the F.O.E (Grizzley Bear) went fine so half the battle until I got him down to half health before he starting hitting my team harder and members started to die. Was lucky I managed to flee from that battle.

Shall be back to grinding tonight. Good job the quests give a decent chunk of EXP.

I've got EOI and will start that tonight.

If you need any advice, you know who to turn to!

Shall be back to grinding tonight. Good job the quests give a decent chunk of EXP.

Do you still get EXP from FOEs as well? Etrian Odyssey II was the game where they hardly gave you EXP for anything (bosses were the best way to get it), then EO III introduced it for Quests and reinstated it into FOEs.

Do you still get EXP from FOEs as well? Etrian Odyssey II was the game where they hardly gave you EXP for anything (bosses were the best way to get it), then EO III introduced it for Quests and reinstated it into FOEs.

I believe so. Not killed any yet to verify. :p

Wondering if I'm close to being able to take out the ones on the Sky Map which I'll try tonight.

Didn't remember getting EXP from quests in the first one so wondered if that was new.

Also, not sure if this is new but their are rare "shiny" variants of enemies which give out more EXP than usual. They have a tendency to flee though.

Also, not sure if this is new but their are rare "shiny" variants of enemies which give out more EXP than usual. They have a tendency to flee though.

Sounds like that's entirely new, although I've only done four floors of III.

Couldn't resist downloading the demo and starting it. Now I've had a play around with the classes, I've decided the two I'm not going to start with are Nightseeker (not my style) and Dancer (hopefully won't be necessary). Although the Nightseeker will probably be needed for conditional drops and the Dancer may be useful for boss fights, I'm happier with the remaining five classes. Also, they seem like better classes to take on others as sub-classes.

Of particular note is that the Fortress now has a 3-turn party buff back, and that can lead to an elemental-protection buff once you're a high enough level. Yeah, I'm pleased to say the Fortress seems to have a place in this game.

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

Do you still get EXP from FOEs as well?

Beat my first FOE last night, you do get EXP from them.

Went back to the first area to take on the FOEs there, although I very nearly didn't beat him. Sniper was dead so I couldn't bind his arms, Runemaster ran out of TP who was my main source of damage. My Medic was low of TP as well. Luckily I got him down to red and was able to hang on to finish him off.

I've decided the two I'm not going to start with are Nightseeker (not my style) and Dancer (hopefully won't be necessary). Although the Nightseeker will probably be needed for conditional drops and the Dancer may be useful for boss fights, I'm happier with the remaining five classes. Also, they seem like better classes to take on others as sub-classes.

Just found about about sub classing yesterday so should be an interesting mechanic.

Unlocked the ability to use Burst skills which helps with fights against FOEs. Can go down to BF3, but seems to be a boss down there which is a stronger version of the FOE's that appear on the 1st and 2nd floors but I can't take out those yet. I'm still only at level 10 at the minute.